Hitron CGN3 Quirks

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CGN3 Quirks

Ok, well, yes the CGN3 can handle high speeds. I run the 250 Mb/s plan and don’t have any problems with it as do many others. Wired tests top out at 328 Mb/s down 21 Mb/s up, connected directly to the CGN3. I’m sure that I could do better with the CGN3 running Bridged and using a firewall or router. Wireless tops out at 200 Mb/s down 21 Mb/s up but that is partly due to the 3 internal antenna of the CGN3 and the laptops that I test it with, which only has 2 antenna, which is typical for laptops. I would probably see 300 Mb/s with a laptop or pc that has 3 antenna installed. In theory I should be seeing 450 mb/s in that case.  Yes, there is a firmware bug that throttles back the download rates for connected devices that only have 10/100 mb/s ports. Hopefully that will be corrected in the next firmware version, which will hopefully be out before the end of the year.

There are a number of issues that affect wireless performance including:

1. The internal antenna placement for the CGN3 and the device that you use,

2. Layout of your home and placement of the CGN3 compared to where your devices are,

3. Interference from neighboring wireless routers and other 2.4 devices within the home which are not wireless devices but none the less, operate within that band.

4. The decision to use 2.4 or 5 Ghz networks.

5. The capability of the devices themselves, ie, older devices may not in fact be able to support higher data rates.

6. The data rate supported by your incoming cable.

7. Issues caused by setting up a guest account.

So, the possible solutions include:

1 &2. Knowing and understanding the difference in antenna gain seen between internal and external antenna. Signal power and Signal to Noise ratios are everything when it comes to devices such as this and the higher both are, the higher your end data rate. External antennas can and do deliver much better wireless performance compared to devices such as the CGN3. Multi-function devices such as the type used by Rogers and other ISPs are a compromise in terms of cost and performance. Rogers is not the only one to use such a device and customers of other IPSs are equally upset at the performance of multi-function devices. The next modem/router to be used by one to the TPIAs was just announced yesterday, and is a Cisco version of the CGN3. This is going over like a lead balloon, as can be expected. The ultimate solution, for those seeking better performance might be a combination of better placement within the home by using the structured wiring bundle within the home if in fact it is in place, or by deciding to purchase a third party router with external antenna, which would include 802.11ac capability.

3. Interference from neighbouring routers can be detected by using inSSIDer which is a wifi monitoring application. This is available from the following link and can be used to determine if you should be operating on a different 2.4 Ghz channel or if in fact you should be looking at moving all of your 5 Ghz devices up to that band and avoid the 2.4 Ghz traffic jam.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

4 & 5. Part of the problem with moving up to higher speed plans is knowing what your current devices actually support in terms of data rates. When we start looking at some of the devices that people use, it often turns out that the devices will not support higher data rates. A good example is the issue with data throttling caused by 10/100 Mb/s devices which are connected to the CGN3. Even if this was not an issue, I can guarantee that there would be people arriving at the forum absolutely upset that they can’t get 150 Mb/s or above data rates on their pc or laptop. But if they looked at the device specs, they would have found out that it can only support 100 Mb/s max as the port on the pc or laptop is only built to handle 10/100 Mb/s. So, if you really wanted to see that kind of data rate your choice is to install a higher rated ethernet card in your pc, or use a gigabit ethernet to USB 3.0 adapter for a laptop.   For wireless performance you would have to review the specs for all of your devices, see what they support and then lock the CGN3 to the highest speed possible given the range of data rates available via b,g,n settings. You also have to understand the relationship between wide band 40 or 80 Mhz channels in a close range environment versus using 20 Mhz wide channels when your router is at the other end of the house. Every user who decides to move up in data rates, either by moving to something like a CGN3 or buying a third party router to go with their existing modem should be reviewing all of their devices to determine if they will in fact get their money’s worth out of the new modem or router. There are also other issues such as securing your own LAN by installing a firewall or router that only you control versus the possibility of Rogers staff being able to determine what is on your LAN that is connected to a Rogers modem. That is a whole different discussion.

6. The possibility exists that your external cable system is not delivering the data rates that it should. This can be caused by a breakdown in the cable or connectors. Neither one lasts forever, and every once in a while the cable and connectors need replacing. It is a simple process to look at the power levels and signal to noise ratios for the cable. Log into the modem, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page and copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread. A quick look will usually determine if there is a possible problem.

7. Did you set up the CGN3 and use the USB setup key to enable a guest account. If so, you are splitting the maximum radiated power allowed for the device into 2, in order to run both networks. As a result, you would end up with a shorter range for your actual network. I’ve run into this and ended up with a third ghost network that also eats into the maximum power output. If you did use the key to setup a guest account you should go in and turn it off. You will also have to check to determine if you ended up with a ghost network transmitting and if so, you will have to exchange the modem. Reading through the following thread starting at post #9, onwards, should explain how to look for a guest or ghost network transmitting from your CGN3. Detection of the networks is the same in either case.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/1/thread-...

Last but not least, have a read through my CGN3 summary on the following page:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/190...

Ok. Having read all of that, let us know if you are looking for any assistance to sort out your network issues.