Hitron CGN3 Quirks

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Hitron CGN3 Quirks

I use an Apple Airport Express, attached to my CGN3, for my Nest Thermostat. (Because Nest uses WiFi power saving modes, which many routers don't implement properly.) It uses a single SSID for both 2.4 and 5 GHZ bands.

The fact that the CGN3 insists on different SSIDs for the two bands was another quirk I'd forgotten about. I'd rather it didn't ... more pain for the user.

Dave Ings

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think a single SSID is fairly UNCOMMON in my experience.

The cisco/linksys ones, Dlink, and the ASUS, i know all have it seperate.
Enterprise level CISCO ones i manage at work, its all seperate.

I know prior, on my older linksys E2500, i had them set at the same name.  On my iphone (the only thing with the dual at the time), only showed one.. i assumed that it would pick the best one, etc.   But i found out later, it always connected to the 2.4.

Seperating them, with two different ID's, i knew specifically i was on the 5.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the clarification on the SSID names. I have very few dual band devices so N suffices for me for now. 

The CGN3 has me pulling my hair(whats left of it) out lol. I alse have intermittent times where communication just stops for a few seconds. I think the DNS forwarder on the CGN3 crashes or runs out of resources.

@VivienM

Dont want to veer off topic but...

I have been looking at the Asus/Netgear(and the 3rd party firmware options) gear but being a network admin I find the consumer gear lacking in configuration options. Coming from using pFsense and Cisco ASA(and Juniper at work) in the past I would miss the flexability. I do not have the need for wireless in the unit as I have a centrally located AP (i will upgrade that at some point). I want a small, powerful and low power device with GigE ports(and speeds). Unfortunately my budget is max $150 all in. The Edgerouter Lite can be had for less than than as can some of the Mikrotik gear. Both are very powerful platforms that will do everything I need. The WRTs and Tomato firmwares are interesting but still lacking in some areas.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What about a PC with gig connections, running PFsense?

Though i guess that is out of the budget.. and likely a higher power draw.

I'm an Advisor

@sbenninger wrote:

@VivienM

Dont want to veer off topic but...

I have been looking at the Asus/Netgear(and the 3rd party firmware options) gear but being a network admin I find the consumer gear lacking in configuration options. Coming from using pFsense and Cisco ASA(and Juniper at work) in the past I would miss the flexability. I do not have the need for wireless in the unit as I have a centrally located AP (i will upgrade that at some point). I want a small, powerful and low power device with GigE ports(and speeds). Unfortunately my budget is max $150 all in. The Edgerouter Lite can be had for less than than as can some of the Mikrotik gear. Both are very powerful platforms that will do everything I need. The WRTs and Tomato firmwares are interesting but still lacking in some areas.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir here. For my NAT, I've been running FreeBSD boxes with ipfw/natd for over a decade. For me, it's not about configuration options really (though I don't mind having a full-featured local DHCP and DNS server), but more about reliability - the consumer-grade NAT boxes are just too unreliable in my experience... (but the FreeBSD boxes aren't perfect either - an old Cel600 topped out at about 30 megabits/sec - and small/low power is... arguable at best. I have yet to find really really really small really low-power x86 gear with dual NICs)

That being said, I would recommend the Asus stuff generally (though it seems like they're not really ideal for your situation). I've got an RT-AC68U as an access point here, it is fabulous, and another one at my parents' running in full router mode. Ignoring the stellar wireless performance, the AsusWRT software is excellent and miles ahead of other consumer-grade garbage from Netgear or Linksys or whoever (but may lack features you'd want). And Asus seems to actually update their firmware regularly. I've heard good things about Mikrotik too, but never used any of their stuff...

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Actually, it is not that uncommon to have the SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz to be the same. The problem is that not all WiFi clients are the same. What will happen is that the WiFi client will either prefer 5GHz, or just pick one at random and not band steer itself if the connection isn't good.

Aruba for example keeps all the SSIDs the same, and has a secret sauce to make sure that the clients are on the best AP and band.

I Plan to Stick Around

I used to roll my own bsd boxes but monowall/pfsense eliminated that need a while back. My trusty soekris 5501 worked great up until I bumped my plan and required the most awesome CGN3. The Net6501 looks good but pricey as does the ALix APU boards...they are better priced but the realtek cards could be problematic. There are quite a number of Atom boards out there too but still beyond my current budget after adding memory and disk.

I am missing my other VLANs using the CGN3 in gateway mode as well. Smiley Mad 

So a couple items on a wish list for a power user on CGN3..would be Speed/Duplex control and VLAN capabilities.

I've Been Here Awhile

The firmware seems half-baked to me, but the hardware seems fine in my mixed home network of PC, Linux and Mac computers and iPhone/iPad mobile devices. 

I've found that when I give the 5G a different SSID, when I connect a laptop to the 5G I can't see the either of my network printers connected to the router (Lexmark is ethernet via an NTI switch, Brother is 2G wifi)

Also, in my reserved table of IPs, the modem sometimes forgets to list the reserved IP or the printer, and very often forgets the device name, calling it "unknown."

When it works, the CGN3 works very well. When it doesn't, it's frustrating. A daily rollercoaster of stress!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have found a number of routers which have done stuff like that on the reservations... why i generally dont trust it any more, and usually set it on each device instead.

The CGN3 does appear to have some issues with multicasting on the wireless (not wired) which could be partially what your running into with the printer issue.

I'm a Regular

the CGN3 cannot handle hi speed 60, 150, 250, etc...  connection speeds are cut to one third of maximum

100Mbps gets throttled back to about 30Mbps

150Mbps gets throttled back  to about 50Mbps (when a second device connects)

this happens with both wired and wireless connections

don't bother trying to get tech support or techxpert to fix it ... they can't do anything about it ... we are stuck with the CGN3 unless you bridge to your own which means more money