Hitron CGN3 Quirks

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Hitron CGN3 Quirks

Normally cross-posting is frowned upon, but it appears that Rogers staff actually follow this forum (kudos to them!) so let me post an entry I made over on dslreports.com, just in case Rogers staff might actually be able to get these errors fixed.

Once it is set up, if you leave it alone, the modem seems stable enough, but otherwise this software feels VERY fragile. I've read that the Hitron is amongst the better cable modems on the market ... very, very scary if true. I'm running the latest firmware, 4.2.4.3

Dave Ings

1. The Ethernet light on the front of the modem is always solid green, even if there is Ethernet traffic (when it is supposed to flash). (Workaround: ignore it!)

2. On the "Basic Settings" page, at the bottom, the list of connected devices takes one or two minutes to display. For bonus points, do this two or three times during an admin session and watch the UI and then the modem itself lock up, requiring you to power on reset. Or, do this under load (i.e. concurrent downloads) and it will lock up the first try. (Workaround: after DHCP setup don't do this!)

3. Similarly, turn the 2.4G WiFi radio off, and on the Status / Wireless page push the "Wireless Clients" button to display connected devices ... it will spin endlessly until you power on reset. (Workaround: keep the 2.4G radio on!)

4. OK this is a real nit but the Hitron is the first modem/router I've owned (or rented) that does not allow spaces in SSID names. Is this just the way it is or is there a secret setting somewhere that will allow this?

***edited labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron CGN3 Quirks

@ings wrote:

Normally cross-posting is frowned upon, but it appears that Rogers staff actually follow this forum (kudos to them!) so let me post an entry I made over on dslreports.com, just in case Rogers staff might actually be able to get these errors fixed.

Once it is set up, if you leave it alone, the modem seems stable enough, but otherwise this software feels VERY fragile. I've read that the Hitron is amongst the better cable modems on the market ... very, very scary if true. I'm running the latest firmware, 4.2.4.3

I will make one minor correction. The CGN3 is not a cable modem, but a wifi modem. A cable modem is a stand alone modem, much like the old D2 modems. While Hitron does have a 24x8 stand alone modem, Rogers does not offer this as an option. Smiley Sad

If you have been posting on DSL, you might have noted some comments there from a Rogers installer that the Hitron (along with Nextbox) "are the first few boxes which were never Beta tested" by Rogers. I think if this is true, it explains why we are experiencing so many problems. As customers, we have become the testers and have to put up with all of the quirks until Rogers finally gets it right. 

The same poster also mentioned that the new Rogers CEO met with employees across Canada and asked field techs "What are some issues you guys deal with?" Field techs responded. "The worst problem we have is your equipment. I think this explains a lot!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1 ) one of the major fixes in the 4.2.4.3 was to fix linking issues on the network ports, specially in bridged mode... i am wondering if that fix may have maybe played with the lights.

2 ) Odd.. while i have the same SLOOOOW load time, i havent had it lock up yet. (even with repeated returning to the page)  Maybe varries based on number of devices connected.

3 ) i will keep that in mind for helping others troubleshoot on here.  Never noticed myself.. as i have the wireless off, and an ASUS N66U set up as a wireless access point for my wireless needs.

4 ) While i dont think its a hard RULE.. more of a rule of thumb, that some manufacturers follow.. it to not allow spaces.
There are many cases where specific devices or OS's sometimes have problems with connecting to ones with spaces in them.
(EG: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?13299-Spaces-in-SSID-cause-wireless-network-connection-...

Thanks for the list  🙂  Always good to keep these things fresh so they can possibly see them, and then act on them (as thats what fixed the first issue with this unit)

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the modem has its quirks, and they should be fixed.

However the bigger picture is that I recently switched from Bell Internet to Rogers Internet, and I am very happy with the increased performance - literally several times, from 12/1** to 60/10. And Rogers burst mode is delivering over 90 for the first few seconds, which makes smaller downloads virtually instantaneous.

** I was on a DSL line over 1.5 km from the nearest central office, so 12/1 was the best Bell could deliver.

Dave Ings

I'm an Advisor

@ings wrote:

** I was on a DSL line over 1.5 km from the nearest central office, so 12/1 was the best Bell could deliver.

Oh DSL, some things seem to never change...

(I remember back in 1999, when Bell ran those 1-Meg Modem Nortel things, the one at my parents' house did 640 kilobits/sec in the winter, then as it got warmer outside, that became 320 kilobits/sec, then it became zero, i.e. modem not syncing reliably. Bell's solution was actually to tell us to switch to Rogers. 15 years later, seems like some things haven't really changed that much... )

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ings wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the modem has its quirks, and they should be fixed.

However the bigger picture is that I recently switched from Bell Internet to Rogers Internet, and I am very happy with the increased performance - literally several times, from 12/1** to 60/10. And Rogers burst mode is delivering over 90 for the first few seconds, which makes smaller downloads virtually instantaneous.

Dave Ings

Yeah, im sitting with much the same here.. but closes CO is WAY away.. max 6 here >.<

Hopefully they continue to fix the issues.

If not, remember that there is always the option to use your own access point, or put the unit in bridged mode and just use the unit as a modem only, with your own router.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

1 ) one of the major fixes in the 4.2.4.3 was to fix linking issues on the network ports, specially in bridged mode... i am wondering if that fix may have maybe played with the lights.

I really wish this was true but in my experience it is not. In bridged mode Auto-negotiation to a 10/100 FastE port will not work properly. GigE is fine but 100meg ports are not. It seems as though the CGN3 auto-neg's at 100 half duplex while the router neg's at 100 full duplex. If you force the router to 100full or 100half you can never get an IP from the CGN3. This is due to lack of duplex control on the CGN3. It can only be auto-neg. I have tested with a Soekris Net5501 with pfsense and a Cisco ASA5505. Both are rendered almost useless as it kills the speed and reliability. Currently on the hunt for a good wired firewall/router with GigE ports to work around. Trying to source an Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite for a decent price...looks like a great device.

I will add another issue. The latentcy on the internal switch is horrible when in gateway mode. Between 5-10ms on a directly connected port. plays havok with onling gaming etc. DNS lookups are also slower. The interface is slow and buggy as well as everyone has well noted. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, it fixed the issue, that where ANY router (10/100 or gig) would have to be rebooted almost daily, while in bridged mode.  Pretty much bridged mode was non functioning till this fix.
Sorry, that was the fix i was refering to.

You are right though, on the the 10/100 negotiating part. A bunch have poped up with this issue.. from devices (which obtain an IP) to even switches, that are 10/100 only.

Putting a gig switch inbetween, where the device then negotiates with the switch, then the switch is gig to the router, works... but everyone shouldnt have to do that... whats the point of having a 4 port switch in it, if you cant use it.

While i have a bunch of 10/100 devices in my place, i didnt notice this issue myself till others brought it up here.. as everything INTO my CGN3 is gig.

Though, now that i think of it.... i JUST switches Like over last weekend, to the an ASUS N66U router as an AP.. with 1g ports.
PRIOR to that though, it was a linksys E2500.  That unit only has 10/100 ports across the board.. and DIDNT have any issues with negotiation...
This may be a RARE working 10/100 thing.. as most others tend to have issues with 10/100 stuff.

I Plan to Stick Around

Forgot the other annoyance...but maybe by design. Why do you need separated SSID's for the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. I thought the idea was to let the client choose what freq was best? I am pretty sure the ASUS and Netgears of the world use a single SSID but I may be wrong. Please let me know.

I am currently in gateway mode until i source a new router. I tried using the WiFi and while it is the best WiFi router Rogers has ever had it is still not very good. My less than steller belkin N+ router in AP mode has more consistent speed and coverage. The 5Ghz was dismal in my house. I have disabled the wifi on the CGN3.

I'm an Advisor

@sbenninger wrote:

Forgot the other annoyance...but maybe by design. Why do you need separated SSID's for the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. I thought the idea was to let the client choose what freq was best? I am pretty sure the ASUS and Netgears of the world use a single SSID but I may be wrong. Please let me know.

I think the Asus/Netgears/etc tend to use separate SSIDs.

The problem is that the client doesn't choose what is 'best' correctly. At best, most clients will choose the highest signal strength. That, for reasons I don't understand (sorry, I am not an engineer), favours 2.4GHz. In most high-density places, there is so much going on in 2.4 that you want to be running on 5GHz no matter what the signal strength numbers may show...

(and yes, I used to think the same thing you did. Learned the hard way that it doesn't work that way, at least with consumer-grade hardware.)

BTW, if you want a solid router, think about the Asus RT-AC68U...