cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

grulex
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi everyone,

I got a brand new Hitron CGN3 modem from Rogers yesterday and I have been trying to set up port forwarding. First off, please tell me if anyone has every done it successfully. I have a feeling that port forwarding might not be working at all on this model.

I have tried every possible combination of settings with no luck. Here is my current setup.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b72edjiy1aet17q/screenshot.png

Local address is correct and DHCP-reserved, the device is on, an HTTP server is running on private ports 8080 (mapped to public port 80) and 8181 (mapped to public 443), so everything is fine locally. However, when I scan ports with Mac's Network Utility or enter the WAN IP into the browser, it gets no response: requests are not rejected right away, but responses are not coming back.

Turning off the modem's firewall did not help. I have no other active firewalls. I have tried both wireless and ethernet connection. I have no idea what could be the problem. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Alex

***edited labels***

126 REPLIES 126

Re: Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

The only port I can port forward is port 80. I am trying to port forward port 5859 with no luck.

I am using "yougetsignal" to test the port

System Information

This menu displays general information of the device

Hardware Version1A
Software Version4.5.8.37T5
Gateway Serial Number251147026834

Any thoughts?

Mfin
I've Been Around

I have Naim Audio gear connected to the internet though the Hitron router. I have:

A music server that uses the internet to find music and information.

A streamer that streams internet radio, podcasts, etc.

I connect to these devices through the wireless network using an iPad app.

Previously, I had a Limksys router and everything worked well.  I did not have to configure the Linksys at all for the UPNP to work out-of-the-box.

Now UPNP appears restricted as I have to configure my application in a “UPNP Compatibility Mode”  with less features.

Also, I cannot get the music server to operate in full functionality with the app.

Please advise if there’s a way to configure the Hitron so that I can get the level of functionality I had in the Linksys.

Thanks,

M

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mfin wrote:

I have Naim Audio gear connected to the internet though the Hitron router. I have:

A music server that uses the internet to find music and information.

A streamer that streams internet radio, podcasts, etc.

I connect to these devices through the wireless network using an iPad app.

Previously, I had a Limksys router and everything worked well.  I did not have to configure the Linksys at all for the UPNP to work out-of-the-box.

Now UPNP appears restricted as I have to configure my application in a “UPNP Compatibility Mode”  with less features.

Also, I cannot get the music server to operate in full functionality with the app.

Please advise if there’s a way to configure the Hitron so that I can get the level of functionality I had in the Linksys.

Thanks,

M

I believe the CGN3 has port UPNP on by default, but it may not be working/receiving/activating the right ports from the Niam system.

I would think that setting the music server to a static address.
And if you are able to find the specific ports needed for the Naim system, that forwarding them manually might work.

Callie
I've Been Around

Have setup a Wyze Cam on my Hitron Cgn3acsmr Rogers router network ..... Need To Open Ports

Wyze Support indicates for the camera to function proper udp port 434 needs to open ..... is this port forwarding and if so can I reserve a static IP address for the camera on this router ?

@Callie yes, you can assign a static address to the camera.  That is probably the best route to take as it will ensure that the camera retains the same IP address in the event of a modem reboot.  After assigning the static address, save the data and reboot the modem using the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function.  After the reboot, login to the modem again and set up the port forwarding for that IP address.

tomkralidis
I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron CGN3ACSMR port 22 blocked?

Hi: I recently switched to the CGN3ACSMR modem (using latest firmware) and have configured port forwarding for port 22.  Unfortunately I am unable to access port 22 from outside my network.  I verified with http://www.canyouseeme.org/ by entering my IP address and port 22 which results in:

Error: I could not see your service on xx.xxx.xx.xxx on port (22)

Has anyone else had this issue?  Forwarding other ports seems to work.

22, and I believe 443 are 'reserved' so to speak as far as I am aware.

That they are not accessible from outside, even with forwarding on.

From what I have gleamed, they are both used by rogers management. (for them remote helping check the modem, pushing fimware, etc).

tomkralidis
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the info.  This was working for me until I changed to the CGN3ACSMR modem, so I'm wondering if it's something local to the modem, Rogers' firmware on the modem, or something else.

Yeah, the ones prior to the CGN3, I think they were not blocked.  But they are on the CGN3.

borisnet
I Plan to Stick Around
Are incoming ports 80 and 443 filtered by Rogers?

As I was configuring port forwarding, I noticed no traffic comes to port 80 or 443 while any other ports seem to be fine.

I have SSH on port 22 working as instance and port forwarding ok.

Can Rogers confirm whether both incoming ports 80 and 443 are filtered at the networking layer for residential connection?

Is there any way to get this changed?

Hello, @borisnet.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums. Thank you for joining and for posting your query in the Community! 🙂

We have discussed this matter in post 96 and at other places of this thread. Those ports are not available as you have assumed. You may want to elaborate on what you are trying to use those incoming ports so that the Community can suggest alternatives if possible. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

borisnet
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you @RogersMoin for the reply and merging my post (which moved while I was typing my answer ;-))

While I understand Rogers policy, it would be nice to offer customers the ability to activate this with the right disclaimer in place.

For selfhosted app with let's encrypt, a valid certifcate can only be issued when port 80 is reachable.

Parent
I've Been Here Awhile

I have Hitron CGN3 or CGN3ACR Modem. I have bridged it so I can use GOogle wifi router. I have security cameras that need port forwarding. How can I get port forwarding to function while in Bridge mode.

Parent
I've Been Here Awhile
I am reserving port 8000 for the camera

Hello, @Parent

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. Since your gateway modem (CGN3 or CG3ACR) is in bridge mode, it functions just like a modem with no access to router functions like port forwarding. 

You need to explore your Google WiFi router to do the port forwarding. You may want to check the Google Help Center for more info.  

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Parent
I've Been Here Awhile
Yes I ended up doing just that last night. The modem in Birdge mode. The security cameras connected to google wifi and wifi handling port forwarding. But my wifi connection is dropping much more than before the camera s were set up. Before I had modem on bridge mode and google wifi only.

imeem
I Plan to Stick Around

I open some ports on my router and computer and i used Port Forward Network Utilities to test. it says it is open.

I'm having connection issues with GTA Online and Rockstar ask me to ask Rogers if they can ensure these ports are indeed open. I'm pretty sure they are open and Rockstar is being stupid...

-Port 6672 (UDP)
-Port 61455 (UDP)
-Port 61457 (UDP)
-Port 61456 (UDP)
-Port 61458 (UDP)

Hello @imeem,

Thank you for your inquiry. 
Experiencing connection issues while playing GTA online can certainly be frustrating, you have come to the right place.

I'd like to get some of our Resident Experts to chime in on the situation. @Datalink @Gdkitty as always I'm sure your insight will be valuable. 

RogersRob

If you are using an external site to test the open ports.. and they are reporting as open.. they should be open.

It essentially sends a ping type request on the different ports and waits for an answer.. no answer, its closed.  If it gets an answer its open.

The only ports I think i have seen specifically 100% blocked, were 22 and 443.

Hi, Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding won't let me add a new port forward. I am going to learn some programming I am setting up a local webserver.  Anyway, I was setting up FileZilla and when I tried to do some port forwarding it says there is no space.  There are many rules with 192.168.0.10 .

I just want to make sure I do not remove anything that is needed.  How do I tell what to keep and what to remove?  There are many rules and I did not add as far as I know.  I only recognize Minecraft but the rest are just IP addresses.  

Thanks,

Robert 

User021
I Plan to Stick Around

Hitron CGN3ACSMR - port forwarding does not work:

I have configured my Hitron modem to port forward TCP port 2222 to an internal host in my house. I really want to port forward TCP port 22, but I read that this is not supported?

When attempting to connect to my network from a host on the internet to my public 99. IP address on port 2222, the connection fails.

I have turned off the firewall, double checked the port forwarding settings, and don't see what could be misconfigured.

I have been able to change some settings, including WAN ping, and once I did that I could ping the modem from the host on the internet, so I know I have the right IP address.

The hardware version is 2A, firmware version is 4.5.8.45.

Any help would be appreciated.

Topic Stats