Hitron CGN3 Hardware Question

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rogers Employee damir
Rogers Employee

Hitron CGN3 Hardware Question

(Just for the record - i did ask the same question in another community, but, since this is a official Rogers forum, i would like to confirm this here as well, if possible).

Recently, i purchased Hitron CGN3 Modem.

It came with very old software (firmware) version on it though.

HW Version 1A

SW Version 4.1.4.4

After talking to one of the Rogers person in another community, i was advised that he finds this very weird that this modem came with this old firmware.

Is this something i should be concerned of?

Model\Date on the box is: ROG-71115-CGN3 7/13 - which means this modem is from 2013 (year) ?

is there any difference in hardware (better cpu\more ram, etc) in current modems Rogers is selling compared to one i got from 2013?

Its been almost 3 days now since i purchased this Modem and yet, i did not see firmware update on it.

Tried factory reset \ bridge \ gateway mode, no updates.

Please advise,

damir

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CGN3 Hardware Question

It might take 4 or 5 days to see the update.  Don't worry about it yet.  In a worst case scenario, tech support should be able to get you onto a list to push the update.

Rogers Employee damir
Rogers Employee

Thanks for responding.

As for hardware question - do you know anything about it ? (as you are very active here - i am sure you have much better knowledge about this modem then me ) Smiley Happy

I have ticket opened with Rogers support, and i was told that they do a firmware push \ update only once a month O-O (+ they marked my ticket as resolved - without a resolution Smiley Happy ).
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's interesting.  First time that I've heard of that, only once a month....Wait to see what happens over the next couple of days.

Rogers Employee damir
Rogers Employee

Do i need to keep my modem in gateway mode to have my firmware upgraded? Right now its bridge, as i have my own router.

man, how about hardware question?Smiley Happy)))) hehe
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As far as I know, you should be okay in Bridge Mode.  Once that update is donehowever, I would do a reset to Factory defaults, which would take you back to Gateway mode when its done.  To login to the CGN3 in Bridge mode, have a look at Post #12 on the following link:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/180...

Rogers Employee damir
Rogers Employee

Alright, cool ( i am able to log in to modem in Bridge mode).

Now, hopefully, somebody will be able to respond to me about hardware question.

Thanks,
D
I'm a Trusted Contributor

There is only one hardware version as far as I know. Rogers doesn't even have any refurbished CGN3 yet. So there is nothing wrong with the fact that you got a unit with old firmware.

In order to easier track it leave it in gateway mode for now and do a hard reset once every morning, it might speed up obtaining the recent firmware. CGN3 has serious bugs with this version of firmware in bridged mode, so stay in gateway mode.

Just to clarify, hard reset is when you hold reset button at least 13 seconds. In several days you should get updated firmeare.
Rogers Employee damir
Rogers Employee

Thanks for responding.

It says HW Version 1A (and i think it said the same version on rental modem i had before purchasing this one).

As for firmware upgrade, sounds good.

Tnx
I'm a Regular

1A is the latest hardware version... i've swapped several in the last month (rentals) and that is the version that i have... the latest rentals are loaded with the latest firmware, 4.2.4.3