cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron CGN3 / CGN3ACR USB Ports

os2rules
I'm Here A Lot

Hi:

I noticed that there are 2 USB ports on the router so I stuck in a USB drive to see what happens.

I can see the drive in the menu of the router as //192.168.2.1/share/32ED-2F04 and the USB is enabled.

When I try to access the drive it asks for credentials (user id and password).  I tied the default for the

router (cusadmin, etc.), but it wouldn't accept them.

Anyone know how to get at the USB drive?

Thanks in advance.

***edited labels***

28 REPLIES 28

Re:Hitron CGN3 / CGN3ACR USB Ports

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Odd

I remember helping people in this thread
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/1/thread-...
And not having anyone mention that they needed any authentication.

ff_29
I've Been Around

I had the same issue when trying to map a network drive. Called tech support and they couldn't help. Have also gone through the various threads on the subject on this and other forums (included the linked one above), and have had no success. In fact, one of the drives the gateway used to detect now goes undetected completely. Shame that for $12/month as a rental, Rogers "advanced" gateway can't even match the functionality of many budget routers available today. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Personally I have never got any USB drive to work, even on 3rd party routers. If so they are finicky.

I prefer a direct network attached 🙂

liang-x
I've Been Here Awhile

I have just tried my Hitron CGN3 router, it works with both my 64G Lexar fash USB driver and a 2TB hard drive. The hard drive needs a separate power supply. Just follow the steps:

1. insert your USB flash drive into a USB port on the router

2. login the router (192.168.0.1) from your computer by username: cusadmin and your password

3. click "Admin" then "USB Storage"

4. If the USB flash drive is not there, click "Refresh". If the"Shared Status" is "Disnabled", click "Enabled"

5. Now, the router webpage will show your flash drive status "No:1   Disk:file://192.168.0.1\share\**************"

6. copy "file://192.168.0.1\share\**************" and paste it on your IE browser address bar, a new window with the content of your flash drive will appear.

7. in the new window, click "Network"------"192.168.0.1", then right-click "Share"-----Map network drive----OK

If you insert 2 USB drives in the router, both will be mapped to one network drive "Share(\\192.168.0.1)". The 2 drives will be showed as 2 sub-folders under this network drive.

GaryGee
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyone have any luck doing this with a Mac? I'm not getting very far with having a shared drive...

It's asking for login credentials and I've tried every UN/PW set I can think of including the original "cusadmin/password" but nothing works except "guest" with no password, and then I can see the drive but not use any of the files on it.

Hello @GaryGee , thank you for your post. We have members in the community who were able to make it work on Mac. I believe it works on Mac OS X Yosemite. We have discussed this issue during Ask An Expert event as well. Please see message # 7, in the link below;

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/IGNITEAAE/message-id/34#M34

Thanks,

RogersMoin

jhkjhjhlkj
I've Been Around

I have been trying to use the USB port on my CGN3/CGN3ACR and running into a number of problems.

I first had the CGN2 which had to trade for the CGN3 as the USB ports were disabled on the CGN2. I was able to attach my 3TB Seagate external hardrive (with own power source) to the CGN3 and all seemed to be working. However when I opened files or tried to put files on the drive through the network the whole router would lose connection after a few minutes and I would need to reset everything. And this would happend from any device (i.e. computer, tablet and phone). I figured it was defective and wanted to trade it in for another and this time they gave me the CGN3ACR. 

I would not think there would be any differences for what I am trying to acheive. But this time, I can map the hard drive to my computer but when i go into the folder, nothing shows up. I can't see any files or put any files on the drive. The drive is in NTFS. I tried a USB stick in the second port (FAT32) and all seemed to work as intended. 

Is there a reason why the CGN3ACR cannot see any files even though CGN3 modem did? The manual for the moden indicates it can read both FAT32 and NTFS. Are there any other settings I may have missed? Or do I have another defective modem?

My assumption at this point would be that you have found a bug in the CGN3ACR firmware.  Despite what any info might indicate, the CGN3ACR obviously doesn't want to play with an NTFS formatted drive.  I would bet that there is a similar issue with the CGN3, not exactly the same but similar.

iSinergy
I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron CGN3ACR - NAS Functionality Issue?

Hi all, newbie to the forums here. 

First of all I'll start by saying i have a decent technical background and tried all the relevant troubleshooting prior to posting this...etc etc.

I did some mild research and it turns out that i can hook up an external HDD or thumb drive to my modem and that i can use it as an attached storage device, cool. So i decided to grab a new HDD and make an iTunes Server / Library type deal.

I started by logging into the control panel to verify that the functionality was still even available, it was. Under Admin - USB Storage it had two respective addresses for each port 192.168.0.1/xxxxx

So i went to go plug in my hard drive and immediately noticed, no activity LED was turning on, on my drive, so i thought that was a bit weird at first (I tested this drive, formatted it to FAT before plugging it in) I went back to the control panel and attempted to goto one of those addresses and neither worked, via browser or mapping a network drive SMB with Mac OS X El Capitan.

From there i rebooted the device to think it just needed to be rebooted in order to be able to be seen, still no luck... After the reboot those addresses under the USB Storage tab completely disapeared. A bit odd, i rebooted a second time and still gone. After doing it once or twice more i bite the bullet and nuked it, factory reset the modem. A few minutes later i go back, and again the address are no longer showing.

This is where it gets interesting.

After not wanting to wreck my poor brain after a long day at work i decided to phone up the folks at internet tech support, i got conflicting answers from four different people and each one wanted to transfer me off to TechXpert and have me pay a one-time $70 fee. (Fudge, that...) I finally called back tech support after speaking with both reps on each end (tech & xpert nonsense) i got to a supervisor (who i won't mention his name but he was very rude) kept jumping over me and immeidately saying no this function is firmware locked... yada yada. I asked: "You aren't sure and you're giving an guesstimate NO without doing further research?"... "Hold on, I'll double check... let me put you on a brief hold..." *minutes later* "Sir, i do aplogize it does seem like this function does work, but we can't to help you with it, its our policy

*insert flipping desk meme* Infuriated, i hung up...

Thats where I'm at, I'm trying to inquire do i have a hardware problem with the modem itself, or is there a configuration I'm overlooking? Has anyone run into any related problems? I don't believe my drive requires a lot of power to be run, its designed to run off of USB power, i can't even see the thumb drive being mounted either?

Can someone shed some light on this subject before i go through the process of swapping out modems countless times?

*Apologies for the long read

- Thanks

Re: Re:Hitron CGN3 / CGN3ACR USB Ports

I suspect that your post was probably moved to this thread.  Have a read thru the thread, from the first post to see if any of it answers your questions.  Below are a few other threads concerning a USB storage device connected to a CGN3.  Hopefully this thread and links will provide a few answers.

Here is another thread concerning the LAN IP address of an attached NAS:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/256...

Mapping an external drive on a CGN3;

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/133...

CGN3 free space reporting on a USB storage device:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/237...

iSinergy
I've Been Here Awhile

Tks for the reply.

I had a couple extra external drives lying around and decied to test them all out. What I've concluded is that the ports are indeed blue on the modem, which usually indicates USB3 support, not in this case.

I had a few USB2 external drives and they work no issue, but all of my USB3 devices, thumb drives and what not do not work. Will power up but will not be recognized. I don't know if this is a fluke or possibly its not recognizing the brand of HDD or something. 

How do i use USB port on a Mac with El capitan?  Tried replacing file with SMB but still no luck.  Works with windows but not MAc

Re: Hitron CGN3 / CGN3ACR USB Ports

pg2man
I've Been Around

Just got this today, everything is working great minus the external drives i have attached. any time a new folder is created, its being created with a last modified date for dec 31, 1999. any idea why this might be?

Re: Hitron CGN3 / CGN3ACR USB Ports 3.0

simcoe19
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello all, 

I just bought myself a WD my passport ultra 1tb external HD. It is usb.3.0

My last HD had no issue with the usb ports, However this HD isn't being shown.

It works with my Mac/Pc's

Any suggestions?

right now the drive is formatted to NTFS 

thanks, 

Dave

simcoe19
I've Been Here Awhile
I have the same problem.

Hi, I have the Hitron Modem router with 2 USB ports.

I have more than 2 drives I want to connect.

I have the 3 drives in a 4 bay DAS (Direct Access Storage).

It only sees the 1st HDD.

Its the same if I stick 2 hdds on a usb hub. only sees 1 drive.

Anyone have a fix, tweak, alternet method to get this to work?

Hey @drizzt09

Did you find a solution yet?

So even in DAS it sees the first HDD only? Is it consolidating the drive as one (Disk space) or literally sees the first drive only?

@Gdkitty or @Datalink may have an answer for you.

RogersShakir

Re: Hitron CGN3 / CGN3ACR USB Ports

KC69
I've Been Here Awhile

I truly hope Rogers "tech support" (now there's a laugh) read these forums. As of Sunday, I'm moving to Bell. After countless calls and hours attempting to figure out WHY functionality of this modem that I've paid for (for years now) is DISabled, I discover that suddenly the firmware is upgraded. NOW, I can see my NTFS formatted drive - but no others. This has been an experience I'm thankful for. By doing some more digging, I've figured out how to make my MAC talk (Read/Write) to an NTFS formatted drive. Without ANY support from Rogers, I now have a system that works. The irony is that now - ALL my money is going to .... What a stupid company. Just know - your router with updated firmware will support (USB 2) NTFS formatted drives. When you go into the router menu that shows the attached drive - all the forward slashes appear as back slashes. So anyone that has no saavy with respect to networking would enter the information ( . presented) in the wrong format, and so attaching a drive via MAC or Windows would fail. I am stunned. Why in this age Rogers would make this functionality impossible for most users is beyond me. Does NOT to my knowledge read MAC formatted drives; however, if you go here 
http://macdrug.com/free-ntfs-read-and-write-solutions-in-mac-os-x-el-capitan-or-older/ 
you will find the easy solution through terminal to allow your NTFS formatted drive to be not only read - but WRITTEN to, by MAC.
Good luck, peeps - just know that while they try to keep you ignorant, google is a tool to solve your problems.
What a joke - can't WAIT for my new services to be installed from "Ma".

(The path shown doesn't include "\share" for me -- using a Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem.)

Doing what you say (copying the URL and pasting into IE's address bar) worked for me on Windows.

I was able to connect to it on the Mac in Safari by substituting "smb:" for "file:".

I was promped for my a username/password, but it didn't actually need them and regardless of what gibberish I entered for the password, the drive was mounted as a network drive on my desktop, a window appeared with the contents of the USB drive, and I was able to manipulate the files on it.

I hope this helps the rest of you Mac users out there.

@RogersShakir wrote:

Hey @drizzt09

Did you find a solution yet?

So even in DAS it sees the first HDD only? Is it consolidating the drive as one (Disk space) or literally sees the first drive only?

@Gdkitty or @Datalink may have an answer for you.

RogersShakir

@RogersShakir @Gdkitty @Datalink
  sorry i didnt recieve notification to your response.

The DAS has 4 bays, 2 are currently in use with 2 HDD. Both NTFS. No RAID. Single drives.

DAS has a single USB cable.

When plugged into my WDTV usb port, my WDTV can see both drives separate.

When plugged into any PC usb port, the PCs can see both drives separate.

When plugged into the Rogers modem, the modem only sees the first drive. its as if the 2nd drive in the DAS does not exist.

Topic Stats