Hitron CGN3 / Asus RT-66U Port Forwarding Issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PVC
I Plan to Stick Around

Hitron CGN3 / Asus RT-66U Port Forwarding Issue

So I recently purchased an Asus RT-66U router.  I reset my Hitron CG3 to factory defaults, and disabled the wireless function in it.  Plugged it into my Asus RT-66U, and setup my wireless networks using the Asus.

Everything works fine, except for port forwarding.

On my Asus, I setup a camera for port forwarding and assigned it a specific external port (in this case, 92).  However, I can't seem to figure out how to connect to the WAN.   I assume the WAN is still the same one that is coming in via the Hitron.   I.e., if I log into the Hitron "modem", it tells me what the WAP IP is.  I insert that WAN IP, then a colon and the port I forwarded my camera to.

But it jiust tells me that I can't connect to the page.

When I go into my Asus router, the WAN IP address listed is simply an internal IP.  E.g., 192.168.0.XX (which would be what the Hitron modem is assiging to the wired Asus router).

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
PVC
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron CGN3 / Asus RT-66U Port Forwarding Issue

nm...figured it out.  I had only disabled wireless on my Hitron and didn't also disable Residential Gateway settings and UPnP so it wasn't fully in bridge mode.

**UPDATE**

Hey

For steps on how to put the CGN-3 into bridge mode, please click the following link.

View solution in original post

All Replies
PVC
I Plan to Stick Around

nm...figured it out.  I had only disabled wireless on my Hitron and didn't also disable Residential Gateway settings and UPnP so it wasn't fully in bridge mode.

**UPDATE**

Hey

For steps on how to put the CGN-3 into bridge mode, please click the following link.

View solution in original post

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, a few things here.

IF you are leaving the hitron in gateway mode.. with just the wireless off.

For your asus, you want to run the wire from the hitron, into a LAN port on the ASUS, not the wan port.
You will want to make sure DHCP is OFF on the asus router.

While you can leave it dynamic.. best to set a STATIC address for it, 192.168.0.2 for example... it WONT have an WAN address.

As for the forwarding.. in THIS setup, you can not set the forwarding via the ASUS.  It needs to be done on the HITRON.

If you want to do it through the ASUS.. you will need to set the hitron to BRIDGED.

EDIT:  There you go.. yeah, just needed it in bridged 🙂