Hitron CGN2-ROG Works Great!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Works Great!

Thanks IHR,

But when I Google DIR-655 bridge mode, there was a forum discussion where someone asked the same question only to be answered quite rudely by a D-Link tech that this router wasn't designed for this and that it would not work. I kinda find this hard to believe though but I would like to make sure before I begin this operation.

I'm an Advisor

@wowsers53:

you say you Googled "bridge mode" for the DIR-655.  It should not be a surprise that you get no results.  The DIR-655 is just being used as a router.  It is the Hitron that will be bridged.  The D-Link technician might not be excused for his/her rudeness.  But, quite reasonably, they at D-Link would probably not know bridged mode, as it does not apply to the device for which they provide support.

But, it is safe to say that the DIR-655 really is designed for this, and can be used quite effectively, when you put the Hitron into bridge mode.  So, "begin the operation".  I am sure that IHR and Gdkitty and the rest of us will help you in the process.

skinorth

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Bridge mode, or 'disabling the gateway function' on a gateway, litteraly just turns it into a MODEM only

Any router should work... a DIR-655 would work fine.. its designed to work with plugging into any modem.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks skinorth,

More and more tempting Smiley Wink

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wowsers53:

FWIW: I use a DIR-655 as a wireless access point connected to a Cisco DCP 3825. I run the 3825 with the wireless turned off instead of bridged mode, as I use the wired connections in my office and the 655 is located at the other end of the house. One of these days I might try bridged mode just to see what happens, but this combination has worked well for many months. From the DIR-655, I connect a LAN port to one of the 3825 LAN ports, instead of the 655 internet port, and as a result the 655 acts as an access point. Sounds a bit strange but it works. I had read about this on another forum, possibly the D-Link forum some time ago and gave it a try. It works well, so, no point in changing it.

This physical configuration gets around the problem of both devices having separate IP addresses and worrying about where the secondary 655 IP Address sits in relation to the 3825 IP Address. Its been months since I looked at the settings, but, going from memory and reading thru the manual, here is what you should need to set: (I'm assuming here that you are logging in via one of the LAN ports). These settings are probably not too far off of what you are currently running. Internet Connection: Dynamic IP (DHCP), Unicasting: disabled, Primary and Secondary DNS: leave at 0.0.0.0   Wireless settings: set as required by your network. Under Network Settings, keep your current device name and uncheck the DNS Relay to allow the Cisco 3825 or Hitron CGN2-ROG (3825/Hitron) to run the DNS. DHCP Server Settings: Disable. With this disabled, the wired and wireless IP addresses are handled by the 3825/Hitron. I don’t use filtering, access controls, port forwarding, etc, but glancing thru them, most, I believe, are still applicable to the 655 except for possibly Port Forwarding. If you run any gaming consoles that need port forwarding, I suspect that should take place within the 3825/Hitron instead of the 655. If one doesn’t work, try the other. It shouldn’t take too much to figure it out. When you have completed the settings, back up the configuration to a file on your pc or laptop. Start a reboot and connect the 655 LAN port to a 3825/Hitron LAN port. Once the reboot is completed you should be good to go for both wireless and wired off of the 655.

The 655 will be invisible to the network, ie, will not display an IP address and will not show up in the 3825/Hitron DHCP Client Table. You will also not be able to login to the 655 to make any configuration changes. Running an IPConfig via wired or wireless will show the 3825/Hitron as the gateway.

If you need to change a setting, disconnect the 655 from the 3825/Hitron, completely reset the 655 back to square one via the reset button, log in via a LAN port and restore the settings from the configuration file. Make any changes required and back up the configuration file again. Reboot and reconnect to your 3825/Hitron again. If you simply disconnected the 655 from the 3825/Hitron and rebooted, without the reset, the result will be a default internal IP address on your pc/laptop and no IP address from the 655, which makes it impossible to login to the 655 to make any changes. So, this is the one drawback from this configuration, a slightly more complicated routine to make any configuration changes. Note that this is one way to connect the 655 to one of the Rogers modem/routers.

You could, as has been suggested, configure the 3825/Hitron in Bridged mode and then connect it to the Internet port of the 655. All other wired and wireless connections would then run off of the 655. In this case you would set the Internet Connection to Dynamic, check the DNS Relay to allow the 655 to run the DNS and set the DHCP Server Settings to Enable to allow the 655 to supply IP Addresses to your network. What you need to do is determine the routing of wired connections that you need and then decide which combination and location of 655 and 3825/Hitron will suit the requirements.

You could as well probably run the 3825/Hitron with the wireless turned off and set the 655 to use a static IP address for it’s own address. In that case you would probably have to set static addresses for all of your network devices. The question in this case is where to park the 655 address, within the IP range of the 3825/Hitron, or above it. That was part of the raging debate on the other forum at the time. I’m not sure how the 3825 or Hitron will react to an IP address which sits above its own IP Address Range. Perhaps someone who runs that configuration can answer that one.

So, the end result, at least for me, is a stable well running configuration that I rarely if ever, have to troubleshoot. I have also used this same configuration with the SMC modem/router as well.

Hope this helps....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to expand/clarify on datalink's post.

Yes, as alternatively, you can use a router as an AP, along with any of the rogers gateways (instead of doing bridged mode).

I myeslf do this, as the gatway needs to remain on/functioning for the rogers smart home monitoring to work.

But to clarify a few points...

The router acting as an access point, primarily needs the following settings changed:
Turn off DHCP (this will not be giving out addresses, the gateway will)

Set a static Address.

That should be all you need to do.   In this configuration, you will not be using the WAN port, for the connection from the gateway.  You will plug it into any of the regular LAN ports on your router.

You can set your routers static address to just about anything in the range, except for 192.168.0.1 (or .1.1 depending on the setup).    I have mine set to 192.168.0.2.

IF you have the ability in the gatway to set the RANGE for which addresses it doles out DHCP, just make sure its above this number, and you will be 100% safe.
Even if not (say in the case of me, where the SMC you cant set this 😞 ) It should be smart enough, that it can see that device already on the network, with that address pre set, and not assign it.  Only time that might be an issue, was on a power outage, if a client tried to get the address before the router was turned on.

I am running this setup at home.. no address conflicts, can connect to either of them for admin.  But in these cases, the gateway does all the work.. DHCP, port forwarding, etc.
Unless absolutely necessary, bridging is normaly the more PREFERED method.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron CGN2 constantly hangs up & will not connect to the internet, have to power it off & on or hold the reset for a couple of seconds, then it works for about another hour or so & hangs up again. Put the Hitron in Bridge turned off wireless & are using an Apple Extreme Airport router for wireless. Same problem with the Hitron, it hangs up & I have to reset constantly.

I have a friend who has the same problem with the same Hitron modem. Rogers solution for her is to disconnect the cable & reconnect it, not much of a solution.

From what I have read from this community is there is no other solution from Rogers, this is the only modem they have now.

So it looks like I will have to move over to Bell Fibe & see how that works out. My friends on Bell aren't complaining.

I cannot function with this unreliable Hitron modem from Rogers.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I am coming to the same conclusion myself. I am beginning to realize that Rogers simply does not want to supply their customers with a modem that works as they advertise. I would not blame you one bit for switching to BELL!

I've Been Here Awhile

I am using the hitron cgn2-rog in bridge mode with my Cisco EA6500 router firmware 1.1.28.14856

For some reason every couple days the internet goes down, when I login to thr router it has a public ip. I try in the router to release and renew and it gets the same public ip it had before and still no internet. Sometimes it will simply show 0.0.0.0 and again nothing.

If I power off the router it does nothing. If I power the modem off magically a new ip appears and I'm back on.

I did change the password on my hitron cgn2-rog modem before changing it to bridge mode. I wonder if some firmware updates are not being automagically installed on the modem from rogers ?? and for some reason its not obtaining a new ip from rogers dhcp thus causing some issues once the lease expires.

It doesnt make any sense sometimes it happens 2 or 3 times in a row in the course of 1 hour... others it lasts for days.

Thoughts?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That seems to be one of the main things other than wireless issues that these units seem to have.
It seems to not do the lease renewal properly, times out when doing so.

One user recently has had success after having a tech out and checked the signal, and there was packet loss.. cable change from the street and fixed it.
So might be worth a tech call out.