Hitron CGN2-ROG Works Great!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Works Great!

On Facebook today, Rogers claimed that they are "always open to review our services based on customers' feedback". Me thinks this is nothing but a patronizing comment and that if they truly cared about their customers, they would not be providing such useless gateway modems, without at least also providing a stand alone alternative. I will eat my words when they provide a decent stand alone D3 modem!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think one of us needs to be there when you faint to catch you, if it ever happens 😛

I can understand why they want to provide the gateways, and for some thy may even work fine.
But as you said, they need at least or other alternative.

I'm Here A Lot

I have had nothing but issues with this unit.

Depsite upgrading my package, exchanging the Hitron twice, and having tech support visit my place, my internet speed has suffered dramatically since "upgrading" to this unit.

With the old unit I was able to stream video, play online games, and download with no issues at all. With the Hitron, I get nothing by incosistent (mostly slow) speeds and disconnectivity issues. I should add that my Desktop is connected via ethernet cable as well, so the poor WiFi argument does not hold weight here.

Not sure what else to do here, but very frustrated.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There have been some that have reported the same.  There are others that have reported that they have had good speeds as well (hard wired or bridged mode).

I know you are hard wired, but is there wireless traffic going on at the same time as when the wired one is having issues.. i now at least some of the previous ones would drop out EVERYTHING when some wireless stuff went on.

(yes, while we shouldnt HAVE to..) its worth trying it in bridged mode with a 3rd party router.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks GD.

Yes typically my hardwired desktop is running as well as a laptop and/or tablet or PS3 connected to WiFi. Perhaps if i try the bridged method this would relieve some of the WiFi pressure from the Hitron and increase my hardwire speed?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It is worth a shot.  While not ALWAYS fixing the problem.. in many cases it does.

Some people have found, that when these devices had too much wireless traffic.. since they are poor at doing the wireless, etc.. it would effect the whole device, and could drop out connections alltogether.

Often then doing wireless via a 3rd party router, will solve this.  Also gives you better range/speed on the wireless as well normaly.

(i dont have the hitron, i have the SMC, but they all suffer from the same things.  in my setup, i am still using the SMC as a router, but just using my own wireless router as an access point.. the SMC is still doing all the routing work.. and have zero problems.  I beleive alot, stems straight from the built in wireless)

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have the SMC801WG and it has worked like a charm since it was installed several years ago. In a three story hous we have had no undo problems with using the desktop and two or three laptops plus my daughters smartphone.
After reading this board, something tells me i won't be upgrading my internet package any time soon.
I'm Here A Lot

i'll give the bridge a try and let you know the result.

thanks for the feed back Gd

I Plan to Stick Around

Could I use my dlink dir-655 for bridge mode?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

You can use any router you want if you bridge the modem. If your DIR-655 is a modem that you have used in the past and it worked well for you, there is no reason not to use it again. Almost any router out there would be better than the built in one provided by Rogers!