Hitron CGN2-ROG Works Great!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Hitron CGN2-ROG Works Great!

Plugged it in, activated it, put it in bridged mode, plugged in my existing router. Done. Haven't touched it since.

2 EA4500 routers, one as an acccess point, gives me full house wifi coverage. Gigabit cable and several switches cover the wired devices.

Rogers Extreme with throughput as advertised. 

Very easy setup. Couldn't be happier.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Works Great!

That's good to hear.

The big complaint you hear about these, is that the router part is poor.

As a modem, they work well, but as a gateway they do not. For the extra we pay for them to be a gateway, it should work well in that way as well.

At least we still do have the option of doing the bridged mode.

I've Been Here Awhile

can you help? I want to put it into bridge mode. What is the process?

**UPDATE**

Hey Lygil, 

In order to put the gateway into bridge mode please click the following link.

Thanks

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Time to replace my old rogers gateway....thanks Rogers for informing me that u guys have a new one :P. was getting annoyed of the older one. I can't believe I have to come to the forums for this info.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Works Great! (When In Bridge Mode!!!)

@Greyman666 wrote:

Plugged it in, activated it, put it in bridged mode, plugged in my existing router. Done. Haven't touched it since.

2 EA4500 routers, one as an acccess point, gives me full house wifi coverage. Gigabit cable and several switches cover the wired devices.

Rogers Extreme with throughput as advertised. 

Very easy setup. Couldn't be happier.

The title of the thread here was very misleading. If the Hitron worked great, you would not have to put it in bridge mode at all. Gdkitty is correct. While it may function fine as a modem, the wireless component is garbage. The fact that you are using your own router really means that the unit is not working as advertised and will only work properly when you install a 3rd party router. This of course also means that you are not getting what you are paying for from Rogers. Conclusion - it does not work great at all!

I'm an Advisor

@Greyman666:

I admire your enthusiasm.  But as IHR and Gdkitty point out, if the Hitron functioned up to advertised specs, no bridging would be required. 

I think we need to stress to other Forum readers that your comments may reflect your experience, but the Hitron device does not work to its advertised capabilities, as promoted by Rogers.

There have been way too many comments by other Forum participants about the substandard WiFi performance for us to remain silent on this issue.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

1st; Disable wireless

2nd: In the initilization screen, Click Status > Capability.

in this screen Disable Residential Gateway and UPnP.

Modem will reboot and you will be in bridged mode.

Plug router in Lan1 and your set to go.

Worked for me.
I Plan to Stick Around

Regardless of whether it works, it should not HAVE to be done to work. Why did they do the switch to this new modem in the first place?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

one reason as a switch as a whole, is to move to newer technologies.

All their stand alone modems before, were DOCSIS 2 modems.

The modem part, of the new gateways, are DOCSIS 3.  What does this mean?  For the average user, not much that can be seen outright.  Pretty much, each modem has a # of channels that can be connected, to allow in/out streams.  the D3 ones have more UPSTREAM channels.  So in the end, these could provide better service/speeds potentialy. (at least from the modem part of it).

As for the GATEWAY part... i think the main reason.. its SUPOSED to make it easier for people.  The big issue always in the past is.. you get JOE BLOW non computer user.. you give them a modem, then they have to fiddle to get their own router, wireless set up etc.... its sometimes too  much for people.
Giving them a gateway... you give them an all in one package.. plug in and pretty much ready to go!

UNFORTUNATELY... the router part on these... rogers.. and pretty much ALL gateways across just about every ISP.. dont preform up to the same standards as 3rd party one.

This is the big argument by many (like my buddy IHR, hes the spearhead of the movement), that there should be at least available a stand alone D3 modem.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I second that motion that we should be able to go back to modem only devices.

Besides the lower cost and lower power consumption, there is also an inherent security advantage in that setup with a separate modem and router.

Having said this given how much time has gone by I don't believe Rogers will ever listen to its customers on this matter anyway as they don't on many other things as well.