Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Ever since I rented this model it has been giving me trouble.

I finally figured out how to set up my family's devices wirelessly, but everything that I plug in through the Ethernet LAN ports do not respond properly.

Before I was able to connect to the router/modem wirelessly, I was able to distribute a wireless connection through my other routers.

Now when I connect to my router to the Hitron CGN2, it won't supply a internet connect to anything connected via Ethernet.

Is there anyone out there that can help me with my problem.?

I want to be able to connect to the Hitron CGN2 Rogers Enhanced Wifi Modem CGN2 and use the Ethernet ports too.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. may need a little more info.

You say, connect to your other routers.  Do you have another router (3rd party) connected to one of the wired ports by any means?

This might be where part of your issues might be stemming from, depending on how it is connected... from the port connected in, to both trying to supply DHCP.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Having the CGN2 since today and I already hate it. $ 149.00 through the drain.

I do have a few puters in the home running on Win 7 and Win 8. The Win 8 computers seem to do fine with the Hiltron, but the Win 7 computers loose connection all the time.

Also speedtest.net does not give me more than 7 Mb/sec on the Win 7 machines but give me 41.7 Mb/sec on the Win 8 computers.

Anybody able to make sense of this?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Assuming this is on wireless? The wireless is notoriously poor on them, and even the simplest 3rd party router is better. Many people just set this unit into bridged (effectively turning it into a modem) and using another router.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Like I said, Win8 was doing fine. I just updated the drivers of all Win7 machines and have no issues so far. Hopefully it will stay this way. 

Keep you posted.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

This is an oldish thread, I know... but there must be others, like me, who are only now getting hooked up to Rogers and being dropped with a CGN2-ROG and all the wireless issues (weak signal!)  that come with it.

Lots of these posts are about setting the CGN2-ROG to "bridge-mode" and using it as a dumb modem... a couple of posts did mention in passing the fact that this is not actually required, but then added that anything other than bridge mode is complex - all things are relative, I suppose.

I just did a LAN to LAN router cascade, it was simple to configure (took me all of 5 minutes)  and it worked a treat.

I used these instructions (and I do not have a Linksys router, I have a D-link,  but it worked fine all the same):

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=3733

I didn't touch my CGN2-ROG. Hooked my old router up to my laptop and reset the IP (as instructed in the above link)... connected the router to the CGN2-ROG using LAN to LAN ethernet ports... and powered off and on the router (my wireless networks are named differently on y router and the CGN2-ROG) and it just worked.

I now have two wireless networks to connect to... the fast - strong signal -  one on my D-link router, and the slower - v. weak  signal - one on the CGN2-ROG.

It's really not at all hard, and no bridge mode required.

Hope this helps someone...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You have it in the router as an AP. I have the same setup and prefer it :).
Few more steps than bridged mode, but definitely works 🙂

Biggest key point is the LAN to LAN port connection (not LAN to wan), and to turn off the dhcp on the router.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, I have been very disappointed by this Rogers Hitron router, if anything it seems worse than the SMC one I replaced with it. I am going to go buy a new one and was planning to get Rogers to put it in bridge mode but them read on this thread about cascading as described by the previous poster. Is there any reason why to do this insteqad of just getting Rogers to flick a switch?

Thanks

Stephen

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In my case.. i have the Rogers Smarthome Monitoring.  For them to be able to do MONITORED services, they need to have the wifi connection more readily repairable/accessible by them.  They usually have a hidden SSID that only the security system attaches to.  Also, they can then guarantee that it works through their NAT on it.
(could have issues going through a 3rd part routers NAT).

Other than that, there is no REASON specificaly to go one way or the other.. all depends on what your problems are, and if they are solved via one method or not.

Myself, i have the SMC.

(lets go regardless of the home security.. as i had this setup BEFORE i got it)
while the wireless is VERY poor on the SMC as we all know, i dont seem to suffer from any other disconnects, etc like some others do, which bridged mode helps with.
So i could go either way.
My current setup.. was the gateway in the basement.  WHere i have 2 PCS, 2 switches, 2 network printers, xbox, etc, all wired.
To make my house get best range, i wanted to put my 3rd party router on the main floor, to maximize coverage in the upper level.
Prior to the gateway.. i needed to run a cable from the modem, up to where the router was, then another line, back down from there to a switch, then cascaded to another switch.  This was probably 3+ 50ft+ runs.

Now, i run right from the gateway, a line out to each switch which then connects the other devices, and only one long run, up to the router.

I havent had an issue, with letting the SMC do all the routing, DHCP, etc. (again, everything seems stable in my area).

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hello!!  Just went through the whole old motorolla, Rogers hi speed lite thing...  Our internet was too slow so they advised an upgraded package [express] plus the Cisco modem to run it...The old package was not supporting our VOIP phone. One day later and we are up and running BUT in the bridge mode.  The Cisco has the capability of 2.4 or 5G but once I went wireless [notin bridge mode], the only network that showed up was the 2.4 g.  The 5G showed up on the iPad but there was no internet on the laptops.  Rogers then changed us to the bridge mode and 2.4 G but I would like the 5G.  They suggested that my laptop [new] needed an upgraded N capatable wireless driver.  Check the laptop and I have this... so has anyone else had this problem???