Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Well no doubt VivienM 🙂

Just wanted to know what the user was using.. if mostly older devices.. not a TECH heavy family, etc.. they may not use the AC.
Going down to the n66u or something might be better choice, save a few $$, especially this time of year 🙂

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Well no doubt VivienM 🙂

Just wanted to know what the user was using.. if mostly older devices.. not a TECH heavy family, etc.. they may not use the AC.
Going down to the n66u or something might be better choice, save a few $$, especially this time of year 🙂

The thing is, I think right now is a very bad time to buy a high-end N router, even if you don't currently have any AC devices.

I suspect a nice AC router can go 5 years without becoming the bottleneck in your network. Maybe longer. Can you say that about the N routers, especially as the 150 megabit plan is already becoming the 'sweet spot' in the Rogers lineup for many, a trend that I expect will continue in the next 2-3 years? I need to do more testing (which is not easy because my N devices are Intel 4965s and 5300s), but I don't think it's possible to max out the 150+SpeedBoost with 2-stream 802.11n right now.

I am continually amazed at how many people still seem to be running Linksys WRT54Gs from 10 years ago. If that's the lifespan you're going for, why not spend the extra $50 or however much it is for the AC router?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well thats just it.
the number of people still using LEGACY hardware like that...

Really, would need to see, what the AVERAGE plan is.
MOST of my closer group of friends is on rogers, other than one or two.   I am the ONLY one on the 60/10 plan. Everyone else is on LOWER speeds or more grandfathered packages.

If say 70% of people are on those speed plans.. other than internal interconectivity.. it is a waste of money. 
But again, thats just my opinion 🙂

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Well thats just it.
the number of people still using LEGACY hardware like that...

Really, would need to see, what the AVERAGE plan is.
MOST of my closer group of friends is on rogers, other than one or two.   I am the ONLY one on the 60/10 plan. Everyone else is on LOWER speeds or more grandfathered packages.

If say 70% of people are on those speed plans.. other than internal interconectivity.. it is a waste of money. 
But again, thats just my opinion 🙂

As someone pointed out to me here a few weeks ago, if you're not eligible for the 200GB bonus, the 150/15/350GB is the same price as the 60/10/320 option. So if you like your Netflix, you might as well go to the 150...

I agree that a lot of people are on grandfathered packages. Lots of people still 'happily' running D2 setups. Rogers hasn't tried to market the new plans, and I don't blame them. Certainly though, anybody with old Extreme Plus and above should be switching to the new plans.

How much is a top of the line N router anyways, these days?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The N66U is just under $150.
Any other brand, tends to be $100 ish

I am not trying to disuade people from getting the higher AC one 🙂

I just know, there can be alot of people, upset about having to spend any extra money period... trying to explain to them why to get a $150 router can be a tough thing for many to swallow... let alone spending even more 🙂

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

The N66U is just under $150.
Any other brand, tends to be $100 ish

I am not trying to disuade people from getting the higher AC one 🙂

I just know, there can be alot of people, upset about having to spend any extra money period... trying to explain to them why to get a $150 router can be a tough thing for many to swallow... let alone spending even more 🙂

Oh, I understand that... but I also think that people who've spent $150 on the N66U this year may be even more upset when they find themselves wanting an AC one in 18-24 months...

What annoys me about consumer-grade networking products is that the cheaper ones are just... unacceptable. I tried a lot of cheap ones for my parents before finally convincing my dad to pony up the $230 for the RT-AC68U, and I suspect they spent more money on the series of cheap lousy routers over the years.

AnnetteN
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi VivienM & Gdkitty...sorry, I don't know how to e-mail you both at the same time.

You two are really knowledgeable, which is sooooo great for someone who doesn't know too much about the "tech" stuff.

We got "upgraded" to 270 GB and our super old modem from Rogers got switched up to the Hitron (which is a piece of garbage).  I had the the old Lynxus hooked up to the modem because it was the only way to get our mac desk top (remember this was 10 years ago) and my laptop to be connected to the internet (at that time it was revolutionary - for me anyways).  All was working great, even though the mac is long in it's grave and my lap top has been replaced 2 times.  

Okay, so with the "upgrade" happened and the internet has never been the same since.  I am soooooo sooooorrrrrrry that I even upgraded to they Hitron. I want my old stuff  back!  But I will try and move on.  My warning is to anybody who has the Old Stuff, keep it!!!!  The upgrade isn't worth it!  

Okay, I don't know what details you need to help me (thanks for being patient).

We are considering getting a newer flat screen.  Our TV is an old Dell HD TV which works just fine, but it only has 1 HTML port.

We don't have Netflix, but would like to get it...(At this point hubby wants to cancell all Rogers - TV & Internet), anyways, he is also considering just having the basic cable, with Netflix...so many decisions for me!

Our house is only 1200 sq. ft. a main floor and upstairs, we don't use the basement.

The only things that draw on the internet are 2 laptops and the printer.  The most we ever use on the average is 15 - 25 GB per month, so right now we are not using the anything close to the 270 GB aloted us.

Let me know if you need any other info....

Thanks again!

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@AnnetteN wrote:

Hi VivienM & Gdkitty...sorry, I don't know how to e-mail you both at the same time.

You two are really knowledgeable, which is sooooo great for someone who doesn't know too much about the "tech" stuff.

We got "upgraded" to 270 GB and our super old modem from Rogers got switched up to the Hitron (which is a piece of garbage).  I had the the old Lynxus hooked up to the modem because it was the only way to get our mac desk top (remember this was 10 years ago) and my laptop to be connected to the internet (at that time it was revolutionary - for me anyways).  All was working great, even though the mac is long in it's grave and my lap top has been replaced 2 times.  

Okay, so with the "upgrade" happened and the internet has never been the same since.  I am soooooo sooooorrrrrrry that I even upgraded to they Hitron. I want my old stuff  back!  But I will try and move on.  My warning is to anybody who has the Old Stuff, keep it!!!!  The upgrade isn't worth it!  

Okay, I don't know what details you need to help me (thanks for being patient).

We are considering getting a newer flat screen.  Our TV is an old Dell HD TV which works just fine, but it only has 1 HTML port.

We don't have Netflix, but would like to get it...(At this point hubby wants to cancell all Rogers - TV & Internet), anyways, he is also considering just having the basic cable, with Netflix...so many decisions for me!

Our house is only 1200 sq. ft. a main floor and upstairs, we don't use the basement.

The only things that draw on the internet are 2 laptops and the printer.  The most we ever use on the average is 15 - 25 GB per month, so right now we are not using the anything close to the 270 GB aloted us.

Let me know if you need any other info....

Thanks again!

Okay, so basically:

1) Set your Hitron to bridge mode. (There are instructions on how to do this around here, or you can call Rogers). That will turn it into the equivalent of a 'straight modem' like the previous one you had - in my experience, both Hitrons work just fine that way.

2) In the short term, plug your old Linksys router back in.

That should recreate the situation you had before with the old modem, except with faster Internet and a higher limit.

Then start thinking about 3) buying a nice new router to replace the old Linksys. Sadly, good routers cost real money - my personal favourite is the Asus RT-AC68U, which costs $210-230...

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is the links page for Bridge mode setup:

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?Ntt=bridge+mode&_nfpb=true&N=&_pageLabel=support_results

As VivienM indicated, once the modem is in bridge mode, plug in your linksys router and you will be good to go.  Only thing I would caution is to check with the Linksys site for any updates to that modem if it happens to be an older model.  There have been security incidents recently which have required many manufacturers to issue updates to their current and older routers.

To send mail to someone here on the forum all you do is click on their name which will take you to a second page where there is a link to send mail.  Unfortunately, you can't send mail to more than one person at the same time. Moderators can do that, but users do not have that ability.  So, you have to create two separate emails, one at a time.

AnnetteN
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi V,

Thanks...I really don't care how much it costs at this point....If it's a good piece of equipmet and lasts me (like the old Linxys did), it's well worth it, and not having hubby screaming that he can't get internet service....It's like having the right tools for for the job.  If you think the AC68U is the "one" that's all I need to hear.  I'll call Rogers to set the modem to bridge mode...I don't think I want to do it myself.