Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Since Rogers finally got their act together in my area (we had all kinds of problems about connectivity since February 2) I can confirm that the wireless speed is very good on my   HITRON CGN2-ROG. I also game a lot online with my Xbox with wireless and I have no issues, no lag etc. So I don't know why it is that almost all users of that modem are having issues with it but for me, all is good for now.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Just switched over from Bell to Rogers, go from 6Mbits to 25+Mbits to good to be true ?? I recieved my 1 Hitron CGN2 modem last week Wednesday and the unit ran till about saturday. The unit was dropping out and the installer came by to look. The drop rate reduced somewhat and on Sunday the modem started dropping out every 5 minutes. After about 2 hours of disecting my running installation for the past 10 years we returned the modem to the local Rogers store the clerk gave us a new modem (the technician who installed the modem recommended that i return the modem). Anyway I reconnected everything and the system ran until Tuesday around 4:00 PM the drop rate started again. I am now running every 2-3 minutes dropping out like clockwork. I phoned rogers and they told me that they have been connected to the modem for 70+ hours on their end and that there is no

problem on their end. When I look into the modem i see that it has reset it self as the uptime in the Wan information reads like 2 min 19 seconds. I have noticed the @ symbol flicker on the modem box and occasional go off completetly. This takes a lot of patientce to watch. Something is efffecting this modem. The Rogers Tech asked me to find a dedicated wall socket as well as there may not be enough power on the powerbar that the modem is connected to (other items connected are 5 port switch and my Western Digital DuoLive Harddrive). This is now day 12 or so and I have been troubleshooting their equipment. This is not right....oh by the way I install factory automation equipment and I do deal with Hotspot radios from Prolinx, if have never seen this and if i did i would be ripping it out by now and going back to what i had. 6 Gbytes staying on is better then 25Gbytes dropping out !!!! Oh now Rogers is coming out to check the coax cable.. We have Digital TV and the Home phone with them and they are ok. Amazing that the modem can't stay on... Anyone else have these issues or am i the only one ??

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While not EVERYONE.. this is something that has come up alot with some of the rogers modems, this one in particular 😞

Only thing i can recomend, if you have a 3rd party wireless router possibly, is to try and turn the Hitron into bridged mode (effectively turning it into a modem) and using the other router.
While not all, some have found, that this will solve the dropouts.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Monkeydart:

from your posting it seems obvious that you are technically aware and reasonably competent.  Personally, I find your comments quite reasonable/rational.  Why you, or any other Rogers customer needs to put up with these kind of problems/hassles is beyond me.

I would guess that the Rogers tech is just clutching at straws when he/she suggests that you need to find a dedicated wall socket to power the Hitron.  Sure, any technically competent person knows that clean and reliable AC power is critical.  But surely there are not that many situations in all of Canada where the actual problem turns out to be bad AC power, an overloaded power bar, or whatever!  To date all indications have been that the problem is either with the Rogers-provided equipment, or in the Rogers network.

You may recall the old comedy about "the gang that couldn't shoot straight".  I don't know about Rogers' ability to shoot straight.  But they certainly don't seem to be able to pick functionaly capable modem/router equipment to provide to their customer base.  It seems that none of the Rogers-provided cable modem/router combos have either the reliabilty or adequate WiFi performance needed to meet reasonable Canadian consumer requirements.

Any reasonable participant in this Forum can tell from the Rogers customer experiences recounted here that there does not seem to be any Rogers cable modem/router that functions properly, let alone meets the Rogers advertised capabilities.

What more can I say?  Maybe Rogers management needs to  be bridged.........

skinorth

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Great post skinorth. It would also be my contention that Rogers has no ability to "shoot straight" - at least in terms of giving customers a straight answer. The problems with all of these gateways has been going on so long now that it is impossible to comprehend how Rogers could not be aware of the issues yet every time someone complains you get the same regurgitated caca! Sad, but true!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hey Gdkitty. It sure is possible to access the modem in the bridged mode. Not sure if you answered this elsewhere in the forum,but if not , this smart fellow has it well described here .http://www.mythos-rini.com/blog/archives/7431

In a nutshell , if already set to bridge , do a factory reset (with coax DISCONNECTED.When I tried this with coax on, the management on 192.168 was lost within 30 secs anyways even when out of bridge mode). Via http://192.168.100.1 , Reenable the residential gateway mode. Reload. Reconnect coax. Wait for link to come up. Should be again accesible via 192.168.100.1. Before you put it back to the bridge mode , see below or check out the link above for details. The secret here is the Cable modem IP address

• In Status > CM Status, write down  “Cable Modem IP”.  It is used for accessing the modem later, in my case, it is 7.27.xxx.xxx
  • Connect your laptop directly to the cable modem, change the NIC IP to 7.27.xxx.yyy  (yyy = anything from 2 to 254, in my screenshot I used 45)
  • On your browser, go to http://7.27.xxx.xxx

Works like a charm. I am not taking any credit for this, just spreading the news.Big thanks goes to unknown Guru @ http://www.mythos-rini.com/blog/archives/7431 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks for the post Peter.  it is a good reference 😄

Generaly, i was saying its 'not'.. just in the fact, that under NORMAL operating procedures for the average person (with no static IP set, using DHCP, etc) the stardard interface for it at 192.168.x.x.

Yes, you should be able to access it via those means 🙂 (but may be more than the average 'non' technical person wants to do).

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I just switched from the old Ultimate to the new speeds, was forced to swap modem as well for the Hitron.  I'm not even getting my old Ultimate speeds, called Rogers to confirm and they said I hvae the new one.

The modem is on bridge mode as well. Any ideas as to why I'm getting 80/1.29.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Just like to report that my modem is working perfectly. More than 5 days with no lost connections. Consistently posting 80mbps on the download and 3 Mbps on the upload according to speed test.net. I am on the extreme plan.

Only flaw I've encountered is on connecting my HP colour laser jet printer. It won't respond to PBC/WPS signals from the hitron. All my other wireless devices seem to work fine in this regard.

Definitely change your cordless phones to DECT 6 models and don't forget that download speeds on a wireless N devices will achieve full bandwidth constraints at about 14mbps. It you want faster you'll need gigabit wired connections. I think the hitron is limited to N150mbps (real throughput of 14mbps in my experience).

I agree the hitron is too expensive. The price point for a modem/router with these capabilities should be in the $100-$120 range. A modem only package should be offered by Rogers for those that prefer to use their own routers.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

It worked exactly as you said. thank you so much. You are my life saver. I have exactly the same situation. Now my gateway is bridged and my wireless speed is 12+ Mbps through my D-link DIR-615 router ( i could only get 8- with the gateway built-in wireless). now the 4 ports on the gateway set-up is: port 1- dlink router, port2- voip phone, port 3- pc1, port 4 - pc2. i tested wireless speed with my iphone using " speedtest.net" app. awesome.thanks, everybody.

MichaelC.