Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

It is just so sad that Rogers has to be so ignorant over providing customers with a decent D3 modem. Do they not read the complaints? Are the complaints ever passed on? Will they ever understand that their current equipment is utter garbage? Smiley Frustrated

rabbit613
I Plan to Stick Around

I tried "bridge mode". However, the Dlink router didn't connect to internet, only local. I tried plugging it into WAN or LAN, neither worked. But in "gateway" mode, the router can connect to internet. Is my router failed???

I finally dumpped HITRON and get a SMCD3, because Hitron worked well for 170 hours and started disconnecting internet frequently. I couldn't make Dlink router work under Hitron in bridge mode. 

Besides I couldn't make Dlink router work either under SMC in bridge mode. any suggestion ?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Check your new thread, put a reply there.

Rudi2
I've Been Around

I had a Motorola modem  for many years as well, connected to a D-Link router, and I never had a problem.

Then earlier this year I changed to the CISO gateway to get the higher datarates, but that unit  kept on disconnecting from the internet. I replace the unit 3 times, same problem. I then had a service tech here who could not find anything wrong with the setup and suggested that I change to an SMC gateway. That unit worked alright but I was unable to set-up a guset network, nor could I assign static IP address to some LAN connected devices, which I whish do to. So I returned that unit as well. When I went to the Rogers store today they suggested that I upgrade to the new Hintron gateway, reading all these posts I am happy that I did not follow that advice.

As Rogeres is charging an increased fee for the modem/router combination they should ensure that they actually work, or better yet allow those customere who which to, to rent/buy a modem only device (at an appropriately reduce cost), so we can attach a router that works.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just a note to that, you can assign a static ip with the smc, I am doing so for all my devices at home. (Gateway is my dhcp server). But you are correct no guest network. I am using a linksys as a wireless access point only, which does provide the guest network.

As stayed in this thread , putting any of them in bridged mode, make it essentially the setup you had before with your old modem. But 100% agreed that its stupid that we have to pay more for features we can not use

JPRP
I've Been Here Awhile

I just got the Hitron modem/router and all my devices can connect but my gaming pc which has a 1GB network card in it.  I can see and access other computers from it and access it from the other systems yet it has no internet.  I even reinstalled Windows XP on the gaming system and still the same thing.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Rodrick

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's an odd one. First thought would have been the ip settings may have been set to something static, and the gateway or was wrong. But if you did a re install, that would have been wiped.

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@rabbit613:

I assume you are responding to my posting replying to khorton.  There is no "danger" involved here, other than you may get frustrated when your network setup doesn't work!

If you connect the (unbridged) Hitron LAN port to the WAN port on the Dlink (or any other router, for that matter) you are cascading two routers, one after the other.  So, a PC connected to the Dlink LAN address space (WiFi or cable) would need to be routed through the Dlink, and then routed through the Hitron, to get to the Internet.  This could be done, but it would take some non-trivial amount of setup of two different IP address spaces, let's say 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255 for the Hitron, and 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255 for the Dlink.  The Dlink WAN port would need to have an assigned address in the Hitron address space, let's say 192.168.0.2 (the Hitron would have 192.168.0.1).  You would then need to decide which router does dhcp, and disable dhcp on the other router.  You would need to disable WiFi on the Hitron, I assume.

Sounds complicated?  Well, it might be to someone who has never done this before, but it really isn't too bad once you work through the process a few times.  Third time's a charm they say, right........

On the other hand: if you connect the Hitron LAN port to a Dlink WAN port you only need to make sure that the Dlink has a unique IP address in the Hitron address space.  You stlll need to work out the dhcp and WiFi enable/disable issues.

skinorth

JPRP
I've Been Here Awhile

I know right?  I am pretty good with this stuff as I used to do onsite support for gov offices but this one has me baffled.  I got it working with an old dlink 530tx 10/100 but I would rather use the onboard 1GB network card.  I may just go buy a router and set it up as just a modem it's probably the only option I have at this point.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's possible that its a combination of the two. I know at work, we had an odd issue where they were crapping out on a download over about 6mb.. The cards were 1g. Its like they were overloading what they were plugged into. We dropped them down to 100 in the software, and not a problem since.