Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

In bridged, your stuck at whatever your regular router has (likely only the 2.4).

Now.. you say CISCO gateway.. the CISCO gateway, only has 2.4 as well.

Do you mean the new Hitron CGN3 advanced one?  That one, does have the 2.4 and 5.

Now, depending on your laptop.. even with the newest driver.. all depends on what the wireless card is in it. Not all wireless cards are capable of both bands.
I have pretty much brand new laptop as well, but only detects my 2.4 network. (where as my iphone, etc sees the 5).

What brand/model laptop?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am pretty clueless about this kind of thing, so am putting that out there first and foremost....

Anyway, just got the CGN2-ROG recently and did the 'easy connect' set up (i.e. using the USB key that came with the CGN2) and then connected the CGN2 to my existing router (Cisco).  My laptop/smartphone/ipad/Apple TV now continue to connect to the internet through the Cisco Wifi, even though I now have the option of connecting through the CGN2 (the Wifi search comes up with a new account I could log into).  

My question is, do I need to disable the CGN2 wifi even if I don't use it?  Knock on wood, but connecting using my old Wifi account (through Cisco) seems to be working just fine.  Reading all these threads about AP mode and bridge mode, I wasn't sure if this is something I SHOULD be doing (i.e. disabling the Wifi on CGN2 since I am not using CGN2 as a Wifi router)?

Many thanks and pardon the stupid question.....

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Doing it as an AP or bridged mode.. is CLEANER.. but not necessarily necessary.

Doing it the way you are doing.. COULD potentially run into some issues, say with games, etc... as you are going through TWO routers.. therefore doing NAT twice.. two firewalls, etc.

As long as everything works, you dont HAVE to change it... though i personally WOULD turn off the wireless on the CGN2 then.. just eliminate any possible extra wireless interfearance.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Gdkitty....to ask the next stupid question then.....which one is easier to do (AP or bridge)?  Given that things (knock on wood) appear to be working and given my inability to fix it myself if things don't work out once I start to tinker, I want the path of least resistance (which = least likely I can screw it up)......is it just a matter of going to the 192.168....address for the CGN2 and clicking 'wireless off' somewhere in one of those pages?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats may be the thing.. you might not be able to access the CGN2s address directly.. at lest if into the wireless or wired of your router.

You would have to plug in / or connect to the wireless of the CGN2... then log into it at (either 192.168.0.1 or .1.1) with the default login (or if you changed it)..and disable the wireless.
(under the wireless settings, there should be place to disable it).

As for the other options..
AP mode. (this is how i have mine).
The Gateway does all addressing, routing, etc.. does all the work.. the router just acts to serve the wireless.
Its PRETTY simple to set up, but does require a few more settings in the router itself turned off.  BUT this way, always gives you an extra layer of failover.  If you cant connect through the router, the gateway may still be up and accessible.

Bridged is the simplest..
just go into the gateway, and choose the option to disable commercial gateway functions.. the gateway reboots.. and at this time, is a MODEM only.  Plug your router in (with a reboot on it as well).. and away it works like normal.
Just if there are problems, may require reseting the gateway out of bridged, plugging into it, then changing it back to bridged.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks GDkitty, for all your help, esp. as you are not a Rogers employee!!

Yes, I will change my wifi connection from one of the laptops to the CGN2, and then access 192.168....however, is there a manual somewhere with a step-by-step for turning it into AP mode or do I have to call Rogers tech as some of the posts in the forum suggest? Ultimately, at least in the short term, I may leave well enough alone since having the dual wifi has (knock on wood) not caused any connection/speed issues at this point, but I do want to do a proper set up at some point, to ensure long term stability, etc.....

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

OK, found this link:  http://www.mythos-rini.com/blog/archives/7431

Will try when i get home!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Im trying to configure my CGN2 to work with my home survailance system so it can be rmotely veiwed.  I port forwarded it, I disabled the firewall all together, and I put the DVR in DMZ.   When I go to a port checking website, (canyouseeme.org) it says it can see the port I opened, but as soon as I shut down the CGN2 configure window, or log off,  it can no longer see that open port.  But then when I log back in and recheck it, its open again.  Im at a total loss why, any suggestions?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From my experience... the CGN2.. doesnt have the greatest port forwarding... something is flakey in the firmware, IMHO.

What internet plan are you on?

Just trying to see if there is a direct tie in with the CGN2 needed..

Could possibly switch to the CISCO, which the forwarding does work on...

As well, there are some new plans out, which INCLUDE the modem rental cost in them of the CGN3 (which forwarding does work on), which could be possible to switch to..

other option, would be if you have a 3rd part router.. you can flip the unit into BRIDGE MODE, making it a modem only, then all the forwarding would be done via the router.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

This is my result when I ping this router:

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 1429, Received = 1372, Lost = 57 (3% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 3811ms, Average = 86ms

I tried wired and wireless (the ping is tested when the settings are:

-Residential Gateway function: on

-UPnP: on

-Firewall: off

-Intrusion Detection System (IDS): off

-Wireless mode: 11G/N mixed

-Channel: auto

-WMM mode: on

-WPA mode: WPA2-PSK

-Cipher Type: AES

-Pre-Authentication: disable

-Group Key Update Interval: 99999s)

When my computer is connected to this router (gateway mode), all the "time=1ms" will be "time<1ms"

But if someone downloads things (My roommate often does this), I can't open a single web page at all

The signal is strong (5/5) on my laptop, 3/4 on my Nexus 5

I tried million times to restart the router, no use

Tried to change Group Key Update Interval to 99999s, basically no use

Tried to turn on WMM mode, absolutely no use

Tried to disable UPnP, still the same

Tried to disable Intrusion Detection System and firewall, getting a little bit better (still lags a lot)

Finally I realized the NAT(Network Address Translation) performance of this router is very poor

Tried to turn off Residential Gateway function (also turn off NAT) and connect to my computer, getting much better

Tried to use a d-link DIR-820L router, better (even when I use 6rd to get IPv6 access)

CGN2-ROG, may be the worst router I've ever seen