Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

I was replying peterblack12's post.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I am new to Rogers and have Hitron modem/router combo unit.

I agree that a modem only solution should be offered. The hitron lacks any USB functionality for networked storage or printer connections. It's a base model unit and according to hitron's own website it was sold to Rogers as an 'affordable' docsis 3.0 solution.

Some of the better 3rd party modems will also autoscan for a clear wireless channel. A nice feature for those less technically inclined.

A couple of tips for those with wireless range issues...other people may have additional suggestions.

Make sure you don't have a cordless phone that uses the 2.4 broadcast frequency. If you do, replace them with DECT 6.0 models.

Try changing the wireless channel. This can be done in the routers setup page. Try different channels and run a speedtest.net to check your speed. Repeat until you find a channel not being used by your neighbours.

Remember that your wireless speed will never be as fast as your wired speed. I think the hitron is a N-150. In my experience you can't do better than 14-15mbps over this connection. If anyone gets better than this on a N-150 I'd like to know but I believe this the theoretical maximum transfer rate.

If you want N-300 or N-450 wireless transfer rates you'll need to bridge the hitron and use a 3rd party party. I have a preference for Dlinks but others have their favourites.

If anyone else has experience improving the performance of the hitron please post them here for the benefit of other users.

Like if you find this useful/constructive.

Msimon1960.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Another users thread recently posted about the wireless on the hitron.

The hitron DOES offer an autoscan.. his was on that and seems to be where his troubles were.  It looks like it may have been trying to change the channel too often and was causing issues. 
Once he changed it to a fixed channel, it seemed to stablize for him.

You do bring up some good reminders, for people wanting to maximize their wireless performance though.. about cordless phones, etc 🙂

As Skinorth on the forums here will often bring up.. a good idea, for someone with even a little tech ability, and with some help from us.... a good idea, is to always (and ocassional incase things change) is to do a 'site survey' to see what other wireless is going on around you.

Often the simple task of changing the wireless channel to something not in the range of others in the area, can make a difference.

(if anyone needs some help with a wireless survey, please ask).

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Ok ... So just "upgraded" to hitron ... Although I don't believe upgrade is the word.... For all their virtually no dead zones and whole home coverage advertising ... The effective range for a stable gaming connection is around ten feet... At 25 feet or so you cant even load google on a two month old laptop with both n and g capability... Neither frequency works... I live in an apt... 2 bdrm... Small..

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

This is ridiculous... Rogers solution prettymuch seems that you have to rent a piece of garbage barely Wi-Fi capable modem from them... Then turn off the wifi... Bridge it... And buy your own Wi-Fi router .... How is that a solution ... I have told rogers that if this is the case... I will remain a customer if they waive two months fees to cover the cost of me purchasing a modem to honour their promise of virtually no dead zones... On the plus side... If you are having issues and are fed up .. you can cancel your contract with no early cancellation fees... As part of your contract states whole home internet coverage... So technically rogers is in breach and not you...
Disgruntled law student

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Also.. wireless n is capable of 150 mbps.. lan cable is only 100... So technically wireless should be faster... If my modem and computer are literally touching .. connected to Wi-Fi I get my exact 30 mbps down 10 mbps up on sweetest.net.... Wireless is only slower for older.. g only devices

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Depending on your router/switch/lan connection... MOST lan connections now, are 1gbps. 🙂

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Others have tried.. only the 3 (well 4 if you count the old G SMC), are the only ones rogers allows on their network.. i think only ONE person has got a 3rd party D3 modem actualy added on.

Really.. ANY gateway?  you are never going to find something that meets your needs. 

From hanging around here, i took it upon myself one day, to go out and do research on other gateways.. that other providers use, etc.. something i could bring to rogers, maybe to say HEY! smarten up and use these.

General consensus from all the research?

They dont work well... PERIOD.  I looked at about 40 brands.. various models...and they all SUCK.. even looked at DSL gateways.. and people said the same thing.  Gateways, period.. seems to not, for whatever reason, be able to provide decent wireless (maybe trying to cram TOO much stuff into one box?)

All in all, in ANY scenario.. a 3rd party, decent brand wireless router, will ALWAYS give you better coverage.

I am NOT saying dont fight for it, by all means do.
Talk to customer relations/retentions.. see if they can do free rental, etc, something to cover the cost of buying a 3rd party router.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Ever since I purchased this modem, (because I had gone above the 60 GB limt with my old modem) my monthly usage has skyrocketed. As I say, only once over the 60 GB limit then after I bought this modem I'm regularly over the now 80 GB limit. Is it possible that the modem is somheow responsible?

My general internet usage has not changed at all, so how does it significantly increase after using this modem? Has this happened to anyone else?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been reading all about the problems that people are having with the new Rogers Modem/Router and have held off getting one for quite a while.

However, I really want the higher speeds so I replaced my old Modem with the Hitron CGN-2. I figured I could just bridge the Router and use my original Linksys E-1200 for wireless if there were any problems.

The new box is installed but not bridged.

I carried my portable computer, which has wireless-N, all over the apartment and used the program inSSIDer to measure the signal strength. It ranged from -20 near the router to -50 at the sunroom which is furthest away.

I then turned on the Linksys E-1200 and did the same thing. The results were about the same.

Copying from the PC that is attached via Ethernet (100mb/s) to the Rogers router over to my Laptop, I was able to get about 10 MB per second near the router and 8.5 MB per second in the sunroom.

I then tried the PC in the sunroom and I got about 750 K per second (Not very good). I am assuming the the Cisco AE2500 USB adapter is next to useless.

Has anyone got a PCI wireless-N adapter that works well with Hitron?

I removed the Cisco AE2500 and replaced it with the Powerline adapters that I had stored away after I bought the wireless router. That sunroom machine now copies at 5 MB / second which is faster that the internet.

So far, I am happy with the new Modem/Router. However, my home is probably not too demanding on a wireless system, but I can recommend the Powerline systems if some spots are too far away from the wireless source. I was using it in the basement of our house when the internet router was located on the second floor (before I got the wireless system).

Finally, Upload/Download speeds are as advertised. 27.76 Mbps download and 2.16 Mbps upload using one of the speed tests (Rogers Express). With FTP they are 2.0 MB/s download and 150 KB/s.