Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Bang on techguy001. I have lost count of the number of posts I have made on the same topic. Why we have to put up with garbage equipment from Rogers and gateways where only half of it works is beyond my comprehension!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I am having the same problem and have gone through 2 different modem brands in 5 weeks. Replaced one type 4 times. Now have the Hiltron and it to is garbage. When is Rogers going to listen to the complaints.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Jez, Well stated. I just picked up this new Hitron modem and the wireless range is terrible. I had just last month purchased a Cisco E2500 router and it worked with strong signal thourghout my home. This new new device installed in my basement office will not even work to the first floor let alone the bedroom floor. With my E2500 I got strong signal throughout. I think its time to leave Rogers as I am so tired of the hype that is never met.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

While the solution is not the ideal one, it is one of the few options you have available as long as Rogers continues to inflict their garbage equipment upon customers. Have your Hitron placed in bridge mode and then hook up your E2500 router. With your own router, your wireless range should improve immensely. 

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Contractor:

"40 year old linksys-super G router ...." my butt!

We've seen WiFi  802.11a, b, g, n and whatever, with variants deployed only over the last decade, maybe 15 years, or so.  There seems to be only one constant nowadays with many technology purveyors, and that is to up the ante by selling you a new device, standard or technology to (re)solve a performance/functional issue.

They just won't fix their problems anymore at their own expense.  They make the consumer eat the cost by attempting to sell the latest, greatest new and improved piece of technogical .......... (fill in your own explitive!).  This is a regular communications vendor response to resolving customer problems.

Rogers is now notorious for their lack of WiFi performance.  Older 802.11b stuff I have, which still works, outperforms all of it in range.  It does have other functional short comings, no doubt!  A commercial-grade Cisco Access Point I have here, which supports the "40-year old" 802.11g has a max 100mW transmitter power, and a tremendous range as a consequence.  That one I picked up at Value Village for $5.00!  It works great.  It provides WiFi to the end of the block, let alone around the house!

In part this is a "dumming down" of real functional capabilities in consumer-oriented goods.  Most consumers don't know their *a*ss from their elbow if they should need to determine what in fact is working reasonably and realistically.  This allows telco suppliers and vendors to get away with murder when it comes to support and meeting customer expectations.  And our lovely market-oriented government/CRTC believes all is well.

Again, the emperor has no clothes, and the Wizard of Oz is a phony! "La plus ca change.....".

So, Mr. Contractor, please get over looking down your nose at anything but the latest in products and technology.  It may not make you and Rogers as much money, but it still works just fine.

And yeah, I am an old fart that has probably forgotten more about technology than you seem to have learned to this point.

skinorth

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Thanks for this great thread, I was wondering if I was the only one, but this confirms my suspicion that the wifi on the Hotron is just amazingly bad. Our previous Rogers modem/gateway worked fine one floor away, this one barely has a connection. 3m away the signal strength is less than excellent. What engineer could get away with this and keep their job?

The wired connection is excellent, but we have one wired device and four wireless ones.

Now I have to shell out ~$200 and call up Rogers support (yay) to get a functional wifi network. Older tech is definitely sometimes better. How consumers fall for this sacrifice of quality in favour of lower manufacturing costs is beyond me and the industry just laps it up...

Force planned obsolescence on me and I'll complain, force substandard equipment on me to the point that I have to fix the problem with additional significant expense and I'll revolt.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The reason they want people on these new ones, is that they are docsis 3, which provide them some more network options compared to the older d2 so the change is for a reason.

Unfortunately, the only option they give us are these poor gateways. They would be better to offer just a stand alone d3 modem, so they gain those network options, and we choose our own wireless options.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I hope by posting this, I'm not tempting fate !!  Smiley Surprised

I swapped out my old modem for the HITRON CGN2-ROG yesterday morning. 

So far so good.  We been running

1. Vonage Telephone Adapter (hardwired to Port 1)
  2. Computer A (hardwired to Port 2)
  3. Computer B (Wi-Fi using a NetGear WDNA3100),
  4. Samsung Galaxy S3 Phone A (Wi-Fi)
  5. Samsung Galaxy S3 Phone B (Wi-Fi)
  6. iPad (Wi-Fi)
  7. NetFlix on a Samsung UNEH5300 Smart TV (Wi-Fi)

Sometimes 5 or 6 devices connected at the same time.... no problems, speed is good. 

We actually tried all 7 devices, running different YouTube videos and talking on the VOIP phone line.... no problems.

The only problem we had was getting Computer B to talk to the Wi-Fi... it could see the network, but wasn't allowed in... then while double checking the setup, we noticed Guest Mode was set to OFF.  Once we switched that ON, alll was good.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Thanks very much for the link to the manual. I just picked up a hitron unit tonight and it came with a manual for a Cisco DPC/EPC3825. Not terribly useful, nor is the 128MB usb key it came on (if it were larger it would be worth wiping for personal use at least). I'm glad to learn that in the "STATUS" page, "CAPABILITIES" tab, the residential gateway function can be disabled, rendering it an overpriced modem. Doing so will let me use my Cisco E4200!

Many thanks to all here on the forum!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hah, someone goofed when packaging the manual 😛

Good to hear you got it all switched over.  Good router choice BTW 🙂