Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JPRP
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Maybe but it's a gaming system so I'd kind of like to be able to use the 1GB card...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 1g card, wont make any difference, unless you were potentialy doing lan games.

As you internet connection can not use near that, it will never max out its potential.. even at 100, it will never be maxed.

rabbit613
I Plan to Stick Around

@skinorth,

Thank you. It is complicated for me. It took me 2 days to make my new SMC work. I returened Hitron. It worked well for 170 hours, then started to fail frequently. I still don't understand when a gateway is "bridged" , why the 4 LAN ports still working with its IPs. If the router part in a gateway is cut off, how does a LAN get its IP without its own DHCP server enabled?

rabbit613

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hopefuly i can clear that up for you Rabbit.

Networking is a little different.. its not 'in line' per say like say an audio output.

Lets make an example.. you output from a source (your modem) to a receiver (the router)... a audio receiver, has a volume control, it can control the volume up and down (compare this to the DHCP).   Now, anything you OUPUTED to the speaker outputs, after the reciver, will have whatever volume you chose... but the SOURCE audio level, remains the same.. there is no way for that audio volume level change, to be sent back to the source.
(i know not great analogy.. but just proving the liniar example).

With the gateway.. while yes its in bridged mode... ALL the ports are still active.  Its efectively, turned into a little SWITCH then at that point.

Now that switch, is connected to your router.   You could have a regular switch say if you wanted, after the router as well. All these switches, are interconnected, on the same network.

When a device that is ANYWHERE on there trys to obtain an IP address.. it makes a call out.. sorta says "Hey! anything on the network, assigning addresses?" Since they are all interconnected and talk back and forth, the router replied with DHCP, and assigns it an address.
The networking, is more BI DIRECTIONAL per say, than something linear.

Hopefuly that wasnt too confusing >.<

nbikeman
I'm Here A Lot

Despite the Hitron CGN-ROG and SMC DG3N  Gateway modem problems, I don't understand how Rogers can address all the  different enviornments (homes - large, small; apartments, condos) and users with a single hardware solution.

There must be thousands of existing D2 customers with wireless routers that require a simple D3 modem change without the gateway. 

Another Rogers failure. Smiley Frustrated

Contractor
I Plan to Stick Around

Sadly this is an issue I see a lot in the field, and one for which I do not have a perfect answer. If you are having issues with your new Hiltron I would recommend downgrading to the Cisco D3 DPC3825, Its what I use in my own home.

I am a contractor for Rogers. My comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. I'm simply here to pass along any helpful information I've acquired in the field to improve YOUR experience with their services.
Contractor
I Plan to Stick Around

Misdirected Anger. The d3 Cisco's aren't the best compared to a net-gear router but are in my opinion the more reliable option. I can only assume rogers doesn't offer you the option to use a moto 6120 because the lack of control they would be able to exercise over their network as you could most likely "unlock" such a modem to take full advantage of rogers network, which would degrade performance for your entire node thus breaching the terms of service and acceptable use.

I could be wrong, just my opinion.

I am a contractor for Rogers. My comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. I'm simply here to pass along any helpful information I've acquired in the field to improve YOUR experience with their services.
Contractor
I Plan to Stick Around

bridge-mode for those customers my friend. Unless they would like to stop using their 40 year old linksys-super G router ....

JPRP
I've Been Here Awhile

JUst had an interesting conversation with a Rogers tech in Moncton, NB... Ethernet ports 1&4 on my modem are set to 1gb and 2&3 are set to 100MB... kinda weird if you ask me... also these modems are set to 40Mhz wide band by default... just thought I'd share info... 🙂

Rodrick

techguy001
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Contractor, I think you may have missed the point on many of the comments in this thread and many other similar threads on this forum.

All 3 of the devices provided by Rogers are expensive to buy and/or rent for what you get.     All of them have horrible wireless service inside your home.   There are many quality routers out there that cost less and work so much better than these 3 devices.

Why should we put up with paying high fees with poor quality?   If we're going to be forced to put our devices into bridge mode to get decent wireless service then Rogers should either lower the purchase/rental fees of their devices (since they only do half the job) and allow us to purchase/rent a device such as a dedicated modem that costs less.

I don't see the difference in the operational setup when using a Motorola 6120 dedicated modem vs one of the other 3 devices put into bridge mode.   They're all essentially acting only as a Docsys 3.0 modem.   In fact, the security of this setup is much higher since using your own personal router and with buil-tin firewall you are now separating yourself further from your cable provider and further insulates you from their network.