Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulH
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Thanks Gdkitty and IHR. I guess i shouldn't have been surprised since I set the thing to "turn off everything else" mode. 😉
rabbit613
I Plan to Stick Around

@khorton,

Thank you. Very helpful. Right now my 3rd. Hitron seems getting stable, although the wireless speed is slow. But I don't need it too fast for my laptop. I will keep watching it. I will bridge it when I have to.

rabbit613
I Plan to Stick Around

@skinorth,

Sounds complicated.  I am totally a layman here. Is it dangers to connect a Dlink wireless router on its WAN port  from a LAN port on Hitron? Can't we let the two wireless devices work together at same time? If I live in country, that might be a solution for a wireless signal relay.

eliot
I've Been Here Awhile

I am not a technical person. I exchanged my old Rogers modem (which connected my computer and my two wi-fi devices , my iphone and ipad) for the new Hitron modem on the understanding that I was going to get a better and perhaps faster connection to the internet.  

This new modem appears to have a poorer range when I use my Wi-Fi devices in my 1100 square foot condominium compared to my older rogers modem that I returned today.  

In reading the other posts, there does not appear to be an easy fix for the non-technical user regarding the wi-fi range issue with this Hitron modem.  I therefore may have to return the modem to Rogers and re-rent a different model.

I am not sure what model of modem I had previously from Rogers so I am wondering what brand/model of modem I should be renting from Rogers to overcome the Wi-Fi range issue that I am experiencing with the Hitron.  I have the Rogers internet express package. I am not a huge user of data or video etc. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.    

Eliot

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

It really is unfortunate. It has been explained to me that the reason Rogers is using only gateway modems is to make things "easier" for their customers. The theory seems to be that you simply hook up your gateway modem and you are done - kind of a no mess, no fuss type of logic. The customer who is not terribly literate when it comes to technology does not have to go through the so-called hassle of setting up their own router, since with the Rogers gateway, it is all done for you - one nice, neat package.

Now, if the gateways worked as advertised, all would be well. This is what it states on the Rogers Website regarding the Hitron. Our furthest reaching Wi-Fi modem, delivers maximum signal strength anywhere in the home with virtually NO dead zones! This is our best performing and most consistent Wi-Fi modem yet. The problem though is that not only does the Hitron not work as advertised, none of the D3 modems are providing adequate wireless coverage within the home. So the irony, in the end, is that the customer who is using one of these gateways and is experiencing dropped connections and poor range, may have no clue what to do. So eliot, no matter which D3 modem you get, you will face the same issues with both wireless range and dropped connections. 

The easiest solution for the non-tech customer I believe is to have the modem placed into bridge mode. This effectively disables the router and turns the unit into a modem only. Then, you can hook up your own router. If you are not sure how to bridge the unit, Rogers can do it for you - remotely. Last week a customer on Facebook was complaining about the exact same issues. She got the usual run around from Rogers. The only way she could get a wireless connection was when she sat right next to the Hitron. Upon reading my suggestion, they bought a router, bridged the modem and the problem was solved. 

Rogers continues to offer higher speeds and usage allowances for customers who switch to a D3 modem, but so far have not addressed the issue of the D3 modems which are far less than desirable when it comes to their performance as an "Enhanced Wi-Fi Modem".

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do have to agree with IHR.

Your BEST bet, to maximize your range.. would be to purchase your own 3rd part wireless router, and put the gateway in bridged mode.

If you need some help/sugestions on models of these, we would be glad to help.

To obtain the 'faster' advertised speeds and cap, you do need to swtich to a D3 gateway though (weither its in gatway or bridged mode, doesnt matter).   As IHR will attest to, there really is no TECHNICAL reason the caps and speed cant be done on the older D2 modems...  best guess is that they want people on the D3s as its newer technology... if only they would provide a decent d3 gateway, or just a D3 stand alone modem.  But weither the hitron, SMC, or Cisco, all of them can be put into bridged mode.

Many users with using their own router, are able to get the range they want, and also the advertised speed (myself for example)

eliot
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you and IHR for your helpful comments and advice.

I will go into Staples to buy a router. If there is a particular model that you would suggest, please let me know. I assume that Rogers will be able to walk me through the change to 'bridge' procedure unless there is an easy to follow step procedure on-line.

By the way, when I was on the phone with Rogers yesterday, the Rogers technical support suggested that I might consider a "N-type" modem if I was unhapply with Hitron. I have seen a lot of references to "D type modems.  I don't know what the difference is but is a "N" type modem another alternative to overcoming the Hitron wi-fi range issue?

Thank you again.

Eliot 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is no N type modem..

But i am guessing.. IF they were talking about wireless range, etc.. they were talking about an N router (which is what you would be buying).

While i beleive the hitron CAN be done yourself, its not the easiest, i beleive.. they should be able to walk you through it or do it over the phone.

Now.. as for routers.  I am partial to Linksys/Cisco.. many others have Dlink.. these are probably the top two (compared to other brands).
All routers now should do G (for devices which only do G), but an N based router, for devices which can connec with N, will have a better range, etc.
Dlink DIR-825
Linksys E2500

Are both good models.. both are dual band (which means the G and the N signals are on different frequencies), which actualy can help with signal problems sometimes.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

I can certainly vouch for the Linksys E2500. We bought a new laptop at Staples. It was a package deal and the E2500 came with it. We replaced our old, obsolete DI-524 with the new one and have had no problems whatsoever. Gdkitty is correct in that it is a Dual-Band N router (2.4 & 5 GHz). The funny thing is that I gave my old, obsolete DI-524 router to my son and it solved all of his disconnect problems with his SMC gateway modem from Rogers. To think that Rogers should be offering the latest and the best in equipment, but instead, their equipment is a dismal failure!!

techguy001
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I also agree with all the comments above.  None of the 3 devices that Rogers provides these days:  SMC, CISCO or HITRON are any good at wireless signals.  They're fine onlly for wired connetions.   Hard to believe so many companies can get this wrong and that Rogers thinks it's ok to be forcing people to use these things.   I understand fully why we need to be using the newer Docsys 3.0 modem service for the higher speeds but Rogers should also let us purchase/rent a modem only device such as the Motorola 6120 which costs less and would allow us to keep using our own routers.   That would be too logical.

I too have put my SMC router into bridge mode and use my own router.  I can add that my ASUS RT-N56U  is a terrific router and great at wireless range as well and is also reasonably priced for the features.   It too includes 24. Ghz and 5 Ghz band support if you need it.   I live in a 4-story townhouse and within 1 floor of the router I can get the full 300 Mbs speed and 2 floors away I can get about 150.

With the Rogers SMC router I was getting < 100 even 10 feet away from the router and sometimes it dropped to zero.    Unbelievable.

You might also be interested in this review that you can find online:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-routers/