Hitron CDE-30364 router and ps3 disconnecting?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hitron CDE-30364 router and ps3 disconnecting?

Hi I just got this new rogers modem/router today (Hitron CDE-30364) and I have been experiencing disconnects on my ps3 while online. It happens every hour I'd say. The error code gives me no help whatsoever. My laptop doesn't suffer from this issue but it's a few inches away.

After reading other threads and such I have seen some poor reviews on the signal strengh on this router. My ps3 is literally 10 feet away from the router. My speeds are 20 mps down and 1 up which should be fine for gaming because it is slightly faster than my old modem/router. The reason why I returned the old one is because it had a discconect problem as well. It wasn't THIS bad however. One odd thing is that the ps3 says the signal strength is 100% so it might not be the signal strength after all. If you know/think what the problem may be (if it is not the signal strength) please help me.

So my question is what options do I have that would fix this issue? I could wire my ps3 to the modem if that would help. But there are others in my household that use the internet. I also have read putting it in bridge mode and connecting another router helps. If there is another option then please tell me because I really don't want to buy another router. Any settings I can change that would help maybe? Paying the rental fee is already enough as it is. If you need anymore information I'll try to supply it.

***edited labels***

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CDE-30364 router and ps3 disconnecting?

Have a look at the following thread to see if it applies to your CDE-30364.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/1/thread-...

I'm Here A Lot

Alright I'll look into it. It does sound similar to my problem and I did use the usb stick to install. I do not have any other mystery connections at the moment. (I did notice one while I was setting out but now it has vanished)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What internet plan are you on?  Fwiw, using a third party router with external antenna will give you better wifi performance and you will have access and control over capabilities that the modem / router combo will not provide.  At some point, you might determine that you don't have any choice but to go to a third party router.  Not sure if its the cost or complexity that is at issue, but there are a number of people here that can help with recommendations and with setting up a router 🙂

If you follow that thread and load inSSIDer, you can use the application to check out your wifi signal strength around your home and to monitor the wifi network to help determine what is happening when you are getting disconnects.  You might have a cable signal issue as well which is easy to look at.  Have a look at post #4 in that thread and if you can, follow the instructions in that post and paste your downstream and upstream tables into this thread.  I can clean them up when I look at them, so a quick copy and paste is no problem.  If you don't have any issues with your CDE-30364 transmitting a ghost network, that leaves signal levels incoming via cable and outgoing via wifi.  The ultimate conclusion might just be that a third party router is best solution, not the only one, but perhaps the best one of the bunch, and I do agree with your viewpoint of not wanting to spend more money.....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just check to make sure.  The Signal Power and Signal to Noise ratio data for the CDE-30364 is found on the user page  CABLE......Status Screen.

I Plan to Stick Around

I had that Hitron previously and the wireless was abysmal to say the least. 

Do you have an ethernet cable long enough to reach the PS3 or can you move the PS3 closer so you can connect wired? If so try that so you can determine if it is just the wireless that is causing the issue or it is an issue with your overall connection. IF you still have disconnects while hardwired then the issue is your connection. If the disconnects go away then you can look at the wireless being the issue which is what I suspect you will find.

To be perfectly honest the wireless on most of the rogers gateways is sub par. The CGN3 is the best but there are other issues with that gateway. If you can swing It at some point I would reccommend a decent 3rd party wireless router and bridge the rogers gateway into a modem. I realize that does not help you know though. 

Depending on where you live I could perhaps help you out with an older wireless router I have lying around. PM me if interested.

I'm Here A Lot

Okay so I have learned that there is indeed a ghost network coming from my Router. I can only see it with certain devices (i.e I noticed it while I set up my 3ds today)

I also have a old D-Link router from way back. Around 2008 I think. Would that be useable? I'm thinking of just going go the router route then. I live in the GTA area (Brampton) but I'm really tight on cash right now.

Also my current setup it would be very tough for me to get the ps3 to wire to the modem. I was thinking of purchasing a longer ethernet cable or some splitters or something.

I'm Here A Lot

And regarding the inSSIDer test I get:

-25 dbm beside the router

-30 by the ps3 (Across the room)

-50 from outside my room in the living room.

and the cm table info

Downstream

Port 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Frequency (MHz) 633.000 615.000 621.000 639.000 645.000 651.000 657.000 663.000 Modulation 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM Signal power (dBmV) -2.60 -2.80 -2.26 -2.63 -2.46 -2.98 -2.93 -2.79 Signal noise ratio (dB) 38.257 37.935 38.257 38.257 39.397 38.605 38.605 37.092 Channel ID 7 5 6 8 9 10 11 12

Upstream

Port 1 2 3 4 Frequency (Hz) 38596000 30596000 23700000   Bandwidth (kbps/KHz) 3200000 6400000 6400000   ModulationType ATDMA ATDMA ATDMA   Signal power (dBmV) 43.0000 43.0000 44.5000   Channel ID 1 2 3  

I hope that is what you were looking for. I am also unsure of what you meant in the 5th post. I am not sure where to find that. Sorry

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, thats exactly what I was looking for.  Your Downstream Signal Power levels are a little low but within spec, and the Signal to Noise Ratios are also ok.  Your Upstream Signal Power is a little high, but within spec.  I don't expect them to cause any problem, but, keep in mind the fact that they are slightly off target.  That behaviour, with the Downstream dropping from 0 dBmV and the Upstream moving up from 37 dBmV usually indicates a degraded condition for the external cable or connectors.  They don't last forever and every now and then a tech ends up replacing them.  For now you shouldn't any issues.The Downstream target is 0 dBmV with a Signal to Noise Ratio of 37 to 40 Db, and the Upstream is usually in the 37 to 40 dBmV range.

Just to be sure, if you believe that you have a ghost network transmitting, what you should see on the inSSIDer network listing is an almost duplicate MAC address that very closely matches the one associated with your own wifi network.  It appears that usually the final digit, which is on the right hand side of the address of the ghost network MAC address does not match the same location digit of your network MAC address.  All of the remaining digits should match.  As well, the ghost network will not have an SSID or network name showing.  If you have that, then yup, you definitely have a ghost network transmitting.  One that you will most likely not be able to get rid of.  You could try a factory reset and look at it again.  If it's still there after the reset, that confirms, for this particular model of modem / router, that the USB Setup Drive sets parameters that cannot be wiped by the Factory Reset and that using it to set up a Guest network inadvertently sets up a third ghost network.  The end result for the user is reduced output power for the intended wifi network and reduced wifi range.  So, if that condition is there, tape a note on it indicating that its transmitting a third ghost or unnamed network and take it back and exchange it.  When you set up the next modem / router, don't use the USB Setup Drive, but do run a check with inSSIDer just to make sure that you are not inheriting someone else's problem.  If you look at my images you can see two examples of this.  Image no 2 has the ghost network at the top of the list due to its output power.  Image #1 shows it flipped to the bottom of the list.  Note the similarity of the MAC address in image #2. 

After swapping modems and checking to ensure that it only transmits your intended network, have another look at your received power with inSSIDer.  Your network should appear at the top of the network list as the list is usually based on received power, but that sorting is selectable.  You should have at least 10 Db separation between your network and the next one on the list in order to ensure that you don't end up with co-channel interference from your neighbours router.  If someone else's network is at the top of the list, you have a problem, either due to range from your own router, or reduced recieve power due to something like this or your house structure. 

Just to mention this, your home might have structured wiring installed but not used.  This is a wiring bundle consisting of two RG6 cables for tv or satellite, one Cat 5e for ethernet and one Cat 3 for telephone, although this last one might also be Cat 5e.  If you look behind a wall plate that has a phone connector or cable connector on it you might be able to see additional cables there, waiting to be put to use.  If that is the case, the RG6 and ethernet cables can be put to use to run data throughout the house.  So, that might solve some issues if in fact the cabling is present.

Your older D-Link router would proabably work fine, just keep in mind that it is an older router and might only give you 40 to 50 Mb/s via wireless.  I run an DIR-655 as an access point for a 2.4 Ghz network on the other side of the house and it works fine for what it needs to do.  If you do decide to try your router, check D-Links site for any firmware updates.  There have been recent security issues come up which has caused router manufacturers to issue updates to fix those issues.

I'm Here A Lot

Okay soo I decided to try a factory reset without the usb and now I noticed the old network name still popping up. I can tell it's a ghost network because it has what you exactly said. It's literally 1 digit different from the new one's MAC address. One thing I may have noticed was the disconnects on my ps3 have been absent since I have factory resetted my router. I still need to test this more but they are defintely less common than before. The inSSIDER signals are the same though. Everyone outside of my room are getting weak signals still.

I'm gonna try exchanging it within the next week then and see if that fixes this issue. If not I'll see if I can arrange a tech support to look at the cables/wiring.

And last thing, will I need the disc for my D link router when I am using the bridge mode for my gateway? It may be a stupid question but I lost my disc plus the fact I don't think it was compatable with windows 7 anyway.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far! I really hope taking these steps fixes this problem once and for all.