Hitron CDE-30364 Port Forwarding?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Hitron CDE-30364 Port Forwarding?

Has anyone gotten port forwarding to work with the Hitron CDE-30364?  If so, I'd love to learn any hints.  I've setup the ports I need in the "Forwarding" section of the "Firewall" portion of the web interface.  The ports and computer IP addresses I need show up with a check in the "Enable" box, but nothing from the outside can get through to the computer in question.  I tried turning the Firewall OFF, but that didn't make any difference.  I've rebooted the modem.  I'm stumped.

Thanks,

Kevin

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CDE-30364 Port Forwarding?

What are you trying to forward? (What ports). While not with that model, I have done quite a bit of it, on Rogers other gateways and even other providers.

On the receiving pc, is the firewall off there? This is usually one of the first things that can stop it. (With windows firewall fully on, you can't even ping from a local pc to another Smiley Tongue)

I Plan to Stick Around

I need to forward ports 22, 80, 443 and 8080.  This was working the day before, using the previous Cisco modem, so I'm sure the firewall on OS X is not preventing this.  I reconfirmed in the OS X System Preferences that the firewall is OFF.

The CDE-30364 seems to not want to forward public ports of 22 and 8080, so I set up 2222 public to forward to 22 private and 18080 public to forward to 8080 private. 

Thanks for any advice.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And using those alternate ports DO work? And the other ones of 80 and 443 are working fine?

I have the smc, and just tested my FTP moving it over to 22 and it went through ok. So maybe it is possible that gateway is blocking it for some reason.
I don't think it Rogers themselves blocking it.

Wish I had that model or have used it to test some more. But those are not uncommon ports to want to forward. (Http, ssh, VPN and alternate web, at least by standard usages for them)

I Plan to Stick Around

Whereas all those ports worked last week, with my previous Cisco modem, none of them work now with the Hitron CDE-30364.

The web interface claims that port forwarding is enabled, but all the evidence is that it is not - i.e., none of the following work:

ssh -p 2222 my_ip_address

http://my_ip_address

https://my_ip_address

http://my_ip_address:18080

All services are available from other computers on my home network, if I access them via the local IP address (i.e. 192.168.0.X).  But, if I try using the pubilcally available IP provided by Rogers the connection attempts timeout.

I do have a wireless router between the Hitron modem and my internal network.  That router is setup in bridge mode, so it is not trying to assign its own IP addresses.  I did try plugging my main computer directly to the Hitron modem to bypass the wireless router, and that made no difference (yes, I did confirm that the IP address in the port forwarding setup matched the IP assigned by the Hitron modem).

Note: the Cisco modem accepted to forward to ports 22 and 8080, so I didn't need to setup the public ports as different.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That might be it. You have the Hitron in full bridged mode? So it's no longer doing dhcp, etc, that is all handled now by your wireless router.
If this way, you would need to do the port forwarding then on the wireless router, not the Hitron

I Plan to Stick Around

Nope,  DHCP is enabled on the Hitron.  My wireless router is connected to the Hitron, and wireless router is in bridge mode. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh ok, my mistake, from the prev post, thought it was the Hitron in bridged mode.
I am running the same setup as you, with the smc.

I'm beginning to think its the Hitron. There is another user in another thread havig an issue with one iTunes service (which may use some odd port number). Worked fine with Cisco, changes to Hitron stopped working switched back its fine again. It's as if the Hitron is defaultly blocking stuff. Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

I'll give up on port forwarding with the CDE-30364, and try to switch my config to run the Hitron as a bridge, and do DHCP and port forwarding from the Apple Airport Base Station that is downstream.  I won't have time to try that until next weekend.

Thanks for trying to help.  I appreciated it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, thats the only other thing i could sugest.

Having teh hitron in bridge mode, would effectively just turn it into a modem.. letting the airport do all the DHCP, all the forwarding, etc.. it SHOULD work if the hitron is just doing something simple like blocking those ports.
If not... its almost as if its blocking them at the packet level on the hitron Smiley Sad

Now, i beleive (not 100% tho) that to change the hitron into bridged, you have to call in, we cant switch it from the regular interface, but rogers can do it for us.

Other than that.. is it an option to go back to the cisco?