Hitron CDA3 Modem only!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hitron CDA3 Modem only!

How many of you would like a stand alone Modem instead of the gateway which allot of us just turn off anyways to use our own routers?  Rogers used to offer modems only and I think they should again dont you.  Maybe just maybe someone there will look into this and start to offer the option. http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cda3/

***edited labels***

I'm an Advisor

Re: Hitron CDA3 Modem only!

@agent86 wrote:

How many of you would like a stand alone Modem instead of the gateway which allot of us just turn off anyways to use our own routers?  Rogers used to offer modems only and I think they should again dont you.  Maybe just maybe someone there will look into this and start to offer the option. http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cda3/

This has been discussed endlessly for years, and there has been no sign of a straight modem coming back, so I think this is mostly hopeless...

At least the Rogers modems are easy to put in bridge mode. I don't believe that's necessarily true of all gateways, especially some DSL ones...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Considering that that one, and the CGN3, share the same form factor, you wouldnt even be saving size, etc..

That you bridge the CGN3.. its effectively the exact same thing as this.

Price is PROBABLY very negligable.  You can get the CGN3 from 3rd party places regularily on sale for $150ish.. the 8 channel modems are usually around $100.. a 24 channel modem might be somewhere closer to $150 anyways.

I Plan to Stick Around

Still would be a nice option for the many ppl that only want a modem and Im sure is cheaper for Rogers to buy as well.  Seeing as all of the CGN3's are being returned as they tend to fail and also block allot of ip phones even with port forwarding setup.  Im sure Im not the only one here that would go for this option if it ment there internet worked also.  Lately there has been allot of problems with dropped internet and slow speeds and its posted everywhere as well as a write up in one of the Toronto news papers.  I alone know at least 5 others as well as myself with a few of us being IT guys that are having issues but calling in does nothing.  I wont change as out of all providers they are still the better choice.  Id just like to call in once and have someone admit that they are having problems instead of saying everything looks good.  If it was good there would no need to call and wait to actually talk to someone due to higher then normal call volumes.  Anyways I got off topic and I for one would take a stand alone modem over a gateway anyday as im sure many would.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, there are some people with some issues like IP phones, etc.. that the NAT and firewall on this unit, vs on some of the others... IS a little more strict, and that does block it.
But, puting the unit into bridge mode, with your own 3rd party router.. you remove all of that anyways (like you would with a purely stand alone modem).

Where there are report of people with issues.. there are many people (even ones who have posted here) who have had no issues as well.
There is a group (who helped get them to FIX the intial bridged mode bug with the CGN3), who are/were 150mbps or 250mbps plan users.. who are using the units in both bridged and non bridged... who have had perfect speeds and no drop issues, etc.

I myself have had one for 4+ months now... mind you i am only on lower packages.... and the unit is NOT bridged..  I have not had a single drop on the unit yet... just one reboot, after the power went partialy out one time.

(my units is set up in gateway mode, with a asus rt-n66u, set up in AP mode only, with multiple 10/100/1000 switches then attached (pcs and devices off the switches))

I dont know if you (or your other 5 people ) have looked at any of the other threads on here... but there is one major other issue still plaging the CGN3... there is a problem with it linking with a good portion of 10/100 devices.
Regardless of PACKAGE... if anyone is directly plugging a 10/100 router (bridge mode or not), computer, or switch, into the CGN3 direct.. it can cause some speed issues, greatly throttling the throughput.  Using a 10/100/1000 connection, seems to work perfectly fine.

I am not saying the stand alone modem is a bad idea..
But why carry two products... when you already have one, which has the SAME modem parts in it, and can be made into a modem?

I Plan to Stick Around

So the latest on why we need a standalone modem!  Rogers is have major problems with the CGN3 and routers at the moment and are talking with Hitron to figure out the problem.  Im glad they finally told me as Ive been having this ongoing problem for a while now and the techs have not been able to find any problems at all.  So when talking to them yesterday they told me right out what the issues is and that im not the only one. The main reason I use a router is because the CGN3 tends to block NETTALK and Majicjack and port forwarding and turning off the firewall does not resolve the issue.  They work perfect when used on a third party router though.  So Im sure either firmware or a standalone modem will fix the incombatability that the CGN3 has with many third party routers.   In closing for not having issues with the CGN3 as you say then either Rogers is lying about it which I doubt is the case or enough people have called in about the same problem and that is why I was finally told there are talking with Hitron to try to get this problem resolved.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's not that they are lying.. The problem is most techs answer based on what is on the screen in a database infront of them. It seems to take forever for something to be added to this, so they just don't have that info infront of them.
(I have put in some idea board posts on ways for then to help try and improve this aspect)

Some people might have issues, some might not, depending on what is connecting to it.
The NAT and firewall are pretty strict on it, and could cause issues.
A good solution as always is to use your own router. (Though these can run into the exact same thing too if it's too strict on that router. You may just have more options to a change settings)

The parts in the unit for the modem portion are the same between this and the cgn3. So bridged cgn3, is really the exact same thing.
From a business and support standpoint, it's easier for then to have one unit that can do two things than carry two.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And yes a firmware update again might fix the issue with some 3rd party routers.
(It's really only with 10/100 wan port routers)
This was in both bridged or non.

The cgn3 had issues with everything at first and was fixed.

With the similarities hardware wise between this and the cgn3, I would worry that it might be effected by the same issue.

(Though truthfully, I don't know why ANY router company is still selling 10/100 routers, it's something that doesn't cost any difference to put in, and they should have been phased out years ago IMHO)

I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

(Though truthfully, I don't know why ANY router company is still selling 10/100 routers, it's something that doesn't cost any difference to put in, and they should have been phased out years ago IMHO)

Price discrimination, my friend! They have to find some way to differentiate the low-end products so that you'll pay more for the more expensive models. And the router industry loves offering 6-8 different models per manufacturer...

Some router manufacturers have something especially shocking, namely an '802.11ac' router with 10/100 wired ports (both for WAN and LAN). Why exactly you'd really need 802.11ac in that situation ... is a great mystery to me.

But it's also worth noting that a whole bunch of cheap computers, to this day, are sold with 10/100 ports, not gigabit.

I Plan to Stick Around

I finally had to go back to the cisco and it works fine but any thoughts on the SMC over the Hitron?

http://na.smc.com/products/residential/gateways/d3g2408w/

So wish they would try something else soon