High ping, slow internet lately

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

High ping, slow internet lately

I have Rogers Extreme Internet, and it's usually fine and fast. But for the past couple weeks or so, I've been experiencing slow loading and high ping. Pages load slower and sometimes I need to refresh them just to get them to load. Watching video on my mobile device sometimes stutters in the beginning (YouTube) and takes longer to start.

I've checked SpeedTest.net and my ping ranges from 60 ms to 200 ms. My download speed is atrocious at 4 Mbps to 8 Mbps on average -- far lower than before, and what I'm supposed to be paying for. Upload speed, however, is fine at 6 Mbps on average.

Absolutely nothing has changed on my end. It is definitely a problem with Rogers service. I hope they're not throttling me or whatever, because that's kind of illegal and I know they've done scummy things like that and been sued for it.

Here's a graph showing some decline

http://i.imgur.com/0rRrmti.png?1

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: High ping, slow internet lately

What area do you live? Because here in Northern N.B. we have had all kinds of problem in February but now it seems to have settled for the best since approximately 1 week.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I live near Moncton, New Brunswick. And unfortunately my Internet is the slowest it's ever been.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Call them. Ask to talk to a customer relation tech. You won't even have to beg they will give you a full month credit and then some. This is totally unaceptable and I know this should not happen but at my local Roger store, someone working there told me about 2 weeks ago that it is because of the $99.99 promo they have been running and this has caught them off guard and they just can't keep up with the demand. They have to upgrade their equipment and fast because they will lose a lot of customers. Here in Edmundston, February was a very crappy month to be a Rogers customer.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

yeah, does sound like a case of overselling 😞

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

What number do I call specifically
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

888-rogers1

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I called them and they changed some wireless frequency for me and changed it to "auto" or something. I disconnected the modem and checked speedtest.net again while on the phone and the download speed was at like 70 Mbps with a ping of 60 ms. I don't think that had any permanent effect though since now my speeds are at below 10 Mbps again, and I'm using an Ethernet cable so I think it was just coincidence. It fluctuates wildly throughout the day. But the ping is always around 60 ms. I could check speedtest.net and get 5 Mbps or 25 Mbps. In reality though, download speeds and latency is still slow. So I don't think it matters what it says. If this continues should I try calling again? I picked "technical support", but what option should I have picked?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Go through customer support because you first have to get a grip of someone but after that just ask to talk to a customer relation person because there is no option to directly talk to them. That's what I did after a tech told me that if I was not happy with his response, that he could transfer me to a customer relation rep.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Customer relations, are the ones you want to talk to for discounts, etc.. talk to a regular billing rep to get to them.