High Volume of Data Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

High Volume of Data Usage

Anyone's Internet service hit with unusall high volume usage in one day. Over 500 gb and more.  For many days in a month. After contact Rogers tech support. The problem still come back. Anyone get some root cause answer from Rogers.

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: High Volume of Data Usage

No one has specifically got an answer..  there are a number who have HAD similar things..

But there are also TONS who have NOT got it.

So i dont think its a general metering issue on the back end, as would effect more, etc... and would be more consistant... like every day, not random.

CLOSEST thing us here have managed to figure, is that it might be MAC clonong on the modem.
Some users have monitored their WAN usage on the gateway and it hasnt gone up.. but the usage for that day is up... so it might be that rogers back end still records the usage, as this rouge other modem has the same MAC.. so it appears from the modem.. but actually doesnt go through THAT one.

One thing, would be to take your modem in and SWAP it for another, change away from that MAC address.

(this is, of course ontop of any of the regular things.. make sure that there is nothing like a torrent and other things, etc)

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I had 50gb usage 4 days ago, no way we can use that much in one day.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Like i said.. most likely wasnt you.

Someone somewhere.. with a modem,  hacked to have the same MAC address as yours (and/or others as well) that appears like yours... and uses the usage on YOUR account.

Switching modems, would at least swap the MAC address.. to at least iliminate that.