High Ping

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

High Ping

I just recently upgraded to higher speeds 28mbps, I had a Motorola SB5100 modem I am getting faster speeds now with the Cisco modem but higher ping with Cisco.

Here I'll show you.    Motorola SB5100 ------->  https://www.speedtest.net/result/2016656516.png

Cisco DPC 3825 --------> http://www.speedtest.net/result/2025734966.png

I'm know expert clearly but I would think with my new upgrade in speeds I should be getting lower ping not higher then my old 10mbps speeds.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: High Ping

Are the 12ms consistant since the switch?

Was the 5ms consistant before the switch?

Unfortunately its hard to test as well..  since they are done on different days.. you cant really compare, as you dont know how the other server is reacting, could be that side that slowing it down on one day, and not the other.

I'm a Regular

Well it's been a week now with the new modem and it's been consistant so far as for my old modem I can't recall didn't do test on it much but as far as I remebered it's been on 5ms.

btw  gdkitty just want to thank you for all the help,you're great!  Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i see both of your images show toronto, were you using the same toronto location each time?

speedtest.net, shows 2 for toronto.

Im on the same net speed as you, and to one of them, i get 5, and 15 to the other.

Just shows, the OTHER side can make a difference on the reply too Smiley Happy

I'm a Regular

Smiley Happy

Yup I have tried both but the other is much worse. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. not sure then.

Did you setup/install the gateway? or did a rogers tech do it?

Only last thing i could think, would be possibly the lines, way your cabling is set up.. Alot of the newer devices, cable boxes included, while more features, are a little more prone to weaker signals effecting them.

That would be my last thought.

I'm a Regular

I just tested it last night and I did get 5ms tested it today got 12ms,so maybe it just has to do with that time of the day, like I said before with my old modem can't remember if I ever got higher than 5ms before.  I just got new cables a while ago CAT 6 so I know can't be that.    Is that normal though it bouncing around from low to high during the day and night?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh yeah, pings can bounce around just about any time.

Here at work, im on a TRUE fiber opitic connection.
Unlike fibe, which is fibre to a demark, then phone line from there.. i have fiber right to the fiber router in our server room.

10m up and 10m down.

I can sit and ping an address here.. and it could go the same ping for 20 times.. then 6 times a higher number, then lower than before.  There are so many factors, its never going to be 100% consistant.

And really the difference between 5 and 12 ms.. is not a whole lot in the long run, and your likely only to be getting that to local servers.. futher away, its going to be higher anyways.