Hi-Speed Extreme / Changes to Speed

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greg_smith_ssd
I've Been Around

Hi-Speed Extreme / Changes to Speed

I am a Rogers Hi-Speed Extreme customer and have been for some time. At some point in the last few weeks (or months?) my speed increased from approx 10MBPS to somewhere around 18MBPS and even higher. Great.

A couple of days ago my speed went back down to 10. Having not really looked at the various package prices in the last couple of years I went online to check: it seems that as a Hi-Speed Extreme customer I am paying $59.99/month for 15 MBPS. Since I my speed had recently decreased to 10, I thought I ‘d call Rogers and ask what’s up: does my $59.99 get me 15MBPS or not?

A technician named Mark informed me that I am on a “grandfathered” contract whereby I receive 10MBPS. He also explained that my grandfathered account has a higher monthly usage allowance than the “current” Hi-Speed Extreme accounts. He indicated that to get the higher speed I would need to change my modem.

So my first question is: why do  need to change the modem if the modem was receiving data at the higher speed just fine for the last couple of months?

I explained to the technician that something has changed with my speed in the last couple of days, which had precipitated my call. He was quite sure that nothing had changed, although he vaguely indicated that speeds are sometimes higher “at the beginning of a month”. I did not mention to him that my IP address had also changed, after having been “semi static” for the last couple of years. The fact that the IP address and speed have recently changed is, to me anyway, a fairly strong indicator that something has changed.

Anyway... whatever... I just want to get the bandwidth I am paying for.... so I logged into my “My Rogers” page online with a view to ordering the “new” modem that would allow me to get the speed which I am apparently paying for. I clicked on the “Change My Plan” link. This indicated that I can receive the Extreme *Plus* service with the modem I *currently* have. Now, I don’t really want Extreme Plus. Extreme would be fine. In fact, that’s what I am paying for. But in the “change my plan” area I had no option for “get the bandwidth you are now paying for”. Sigh.

So my second question is: why did the tech tell me I need a new modem (to get what I am currently paying for) but the “change my plan” area on “My Rogers” page indicated that my *current* modem would be fine for an upgrade to “Extreme Plus”. Do I need a new modem or not?

What I thought the tech was going to tell me was: “your speed had been increased because the package to which you subscribe had its speed increased. Your speed went down the other day because of changes we are making, and we inadvertently reduced the speed for our “grandfathered” customers”.  No such luck I guess.

All I want is to get the speed I am paying for, preferably without a trip to a Rogers store for a new modem.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Gregory Smith

***edited labels***

jasongilbert
I've Been Around

Re: Hi-Speed Extreme / Changes to Speed

Did you happen to have any success with Rogers, I am having the same issue.

j.

Netbug
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hi there.

I can't see your account, but based upon what you are describing, what you are told by the tech is correct; you're grandfathered.

In theory, the DOCSIS 2 modems (which is what you have) can handle up to 18mbps, however, the system will not allow (to the best of my knowledge) a DOCSIS 3 product code (New Extreme, Extreme Plus, Ultimate) to be applied to the account without a DOCSIS 3 modem.

It would be nice if they would allow this, and we have been asking, but it is unlikely.

So essentially what you are paying for is a choice;

Option A is the new extreme which is 15mbps and an 80GB per month cap.

Option B is the grandfathered (which cannot be added to account any more) at 10mbps and a 95GB cap.

The caveat with option A is you need a DOCSIS 3 modem on the account for it to bind.

My personal choice would be option B as for me, the data usage is far more important than speed, but this is something that you will have to decide on your own.

As to why your speed bumped up for that limited period, if you were testing the bandwidth using a speed-test utility, it was very likely that "SpeedBoost" was applied to your node for that time period. SpeedBoost gives added bandwidth for the first 10-20 seconds of a transfer. The reason for this is to increase browsing speed as most web browsing is burst traffic; the page is sent to your computer very quickly, then you view it locally on your computer.

Unfortunately it also gives false readings on speed checks. My personal preference for testing bandwidth is to go to a large site (I use microsoft.com just cuz it's easy) and grab a large file (I usually grab a game demo). Start the transfer and wait about 15 seconds. Then multiply the value you get in transfer by 8 (to give bits).

TL;DR: Unlikely to ever allow you to add a DOCSIS 2 modem to a DOCSIS 3 service unfortunately.

James
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi Netbug,

Just as a FYI, it is possible to have a DOCSIS 3 modem on a grandfathered extreme. Only Rogers retail locations have this ability (last i checked). I am not sure if it is something that will be changed, however my neighbour who has a grandfathered extreme was able to get the DOCSIS 3 from retail and work no problem.

James
I'm a Senior Contributor

I wish to emphasize, I do not know if this has/will be changed as my example provided above was from about 1.5 weeks ago. It is possible retail no longer has this ability, but, its worth a shot for anyone wishing to use DOCSIS 3 on a grandfathered extreme service.
Netbug
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Interesting, James. Thanks.

Not sure if I'll advise customers to try that though as they may very likely get stuck with the new service if something goes wrong.
paully
I've Been Here Awhile

Forget about Docsis3 and cable modems. When will Rogers switch to GPON technology?