Help with connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Help with connection

I recently upgraded to the cgn3 modem on the hybrid fibre 250 package

Games seems to disconnect

Mumble voice chat program drops and reconnects alot

Watching videos is painful it starts out okay then all of a sudden the audio is fine but the video is skipping its like i pause it but the audio keeps going the video jumps to catch back up to the audio.

Been reading the forums and see lots of other ppl having similar issues

The work around seems to be to buy a router and bridge mode the modem?

If i do that will this fix it ?

will this affect the wireless laptop and xbox I have set up ?

am i understanding the work around right?

I'm a tech newbie I have a general idea how to bridge the modem but i want to make sure this is the solution before i buy a router.

Is there anything else I shouild try prior to this?

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Help with connection

Have a look at the following page which contains a summary of the current situation with the CGN3. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/190...

If you set the CGN3 to run in Bridge mode (simple software selection) and set up a third party router with the same wireless network names and passphrases, your other devices shouldn't know the difference.  If there is a problem, normally all you have to do is remove the currently listed wireless network from your network connections and then do the select from the list of wireless networks routine or you can add it manually.  Make sure that you use different network names for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, otherwise you can run into issues where the mobile device won't select the network, ie 2.4 or 5 Ghz network that you want to use for that particular device.  A good third party router will give you much better wireless performance and use of functions that are not available in the Rogers modem / router combo (any model). 

Ping times to far off game servers will still be an issue, and if you have travelled through other forums you will have seen this, no matter what the ISP is.

Can you indicate how you are gaming, wired or wireless and detail what you are connecting to the CGN3 and how those devices are connecting, wired or wireless?

Lastly, did you use the USB Setup Drive to setup a guest account, or use it in any manner to set anything, or did you use the CGN3 user interface to set the modem and router settings?

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation