Help putting my Ericsson W35 into Bridge Mode (No DHCP)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Help putting my Ericsson W35 into Bridge Mode (No DHCP)

Hi all.  I want to put a Cisco dual WAN VPN router between my faithful Ericsson W35 and the rest of my network.  I want to use the Cisco DHCP, NAT and VPN features and have figured out that the best route (no pun intended) is to put my W35 into bridge mode.

I have determined this is possible via the Level 2 setup.  I don't need it unlocked or any other configuraiton changes - just bridge mode.  Any thought on the best path forward?

Thanks all.

N

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Help putting my Ericsson W35 into Bridge Mode (No DHCP)

Are they're any Community members able to assist @nclare with their question?

RogersDarrell

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't have an Ericsson W35 device, but I have reviewed the User's Guide and Technical Product Description. Apparently bridge mode is configured by creating an L2TP tunnel, which is done via the CLI or command-line interface (not the web interface). The CLI is accessed by using an SSH client to connect to the SSH2 service on the Ericsson device. The documentation that I reviewed did not provide any details about creating an L2TP tunnel. The FAQ for the device advises that you should "contact your distributor or service provider to use this feature." That being said, it shouldn't be necessary to use bridge mode to achieve your desired setup. You can cable the WAN port of the Cisco device to one of the LAN ports of the Ericsson device. The LAN networks of each device must be different, e.g., 192.168.x.0 and 192.168.y.0 where x and y are two different numbers between 0 and 254. If DHCP is left enabled on the Ericsson device, then you shouldn't have to do anything else. If you wish to disable DHCP on the Ericsson device, then you will have to assign a static IP address within the Ericsson network to the WAN port on the Cisco device. You can also disable the WLAN on the Ericsson device (assuming you are connecting to one its LAN ports for configuration purposes). You can't disable NAT on the Ericsson device, but in my experience that shouldn't be a problem.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

BTW, there's a three-year old topic entitled "SSH or Telnet into W35 Ericsson Hub" in this forum in which skinorth states that Rogers will not reveal the username/password required to access the CLI. Given the many ways a customer can use the CLI to brick the device, one can appreciate the Rogers' position..
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

On the other hand (I hate replying to my own posts), since the Cisco Dual WAN VPN device is for small business networks (rather than for home networks) and if you intend to offer an inbound VPN service to allow remote access to your internal network, then my earlier advice is not relevant.