Help - cannot sync Z10 with Outlook stand alone desktop

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Help - cannot sync Z10 with Outlook stand alone desktop

From my own experience and from reading other forums it appears you cannot sync contacts, calendar and email between a stand alone Outlook desktop and a Z10 if you have a POP email account, i.e my personal Rogers account.  Note, this statement does not include corporate emails with backend Exchange servers.  There are lots of suggestions to go to the cloud, hotmail, Outlook.com,  etc.  but I have not been able to get such a solution to work. 

Below are the details of my situation and my question (plee for help is more like it)

Details

- Email account is a Rogers internet account (POP) and I do not have an Exchange backend

- I also have a Rogers Yahoo account which is the account I prefer to give to people 

- I manage all my email, calendar and contacts through my stand alone Outlook desktop or from my phone when I am away from my desktop.

- I sync my email, calendar and contacts withh my desktop when I'm at my desktop; this was previously an iPhone but now I'm trying to get BB10 to do it

- I have set up the BB10 and am able to send/receive email via my Rogers account

- The BB Link software will only sync music, pictures, and documents but not emaiul/caendar/contacts

- The older BB desktop did do it but does not work with BB10

Problem

I cannot sync my calendar, contatcs or email between my stand alone Outlook desktop and my BBZ10

Big Question and plee for help

Has anyone been able to sync their stand alone Outlook desktop with their BB 10 and still be able to use their Rogers  personal internet email.  If so, could you please share how and possibly provide some detailed steps.  At this point I don't care if I use Yahoo, Hotmail, the cloud, etc. as long as it meets the following requirements

1) I don't have to give people a new email address, 

2) I only have to manage my Outlook email once it is all setup, and

3) I am able to do the technical setup to make it all work.

Thanks in advance

****Edited Labels****

WJL
Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Help - cannot sync Z10 with Outlook stand alone desktop

Now, I don't have a BB10 yet to test this (going to be a few weeks) I'll add what I can, for now.

To at least have the email, etc all sync properly, I would try one of two things.

If the BB10 has any built in connection protocols when setting up a new email account on it... if there is a YAHOO one, select it, and enter in your rogers login.  This should set up a more proper syncing with the email on the server, where when you delete on the phone, it deletes on the server.

The other option, would be to set it up manualy, trying the imap server instead of the pop (imap.mail.yahoo.com).  This should do the same as above if my memory serves me correct.

Now, with all these, you will want to make sure that your settings on your Outlook, is set NOT to download everything and delete from the server.. that its set up to leave copies on the server.  make sure the BB10 is set up the same as well if there is that option. (though with the above methods, I believe it does automatically anyways).

Now.. onto your contacts/calendar.
This part, I am less sure of.  I am NOT sure, if the rogers calendar and the contact, will 'sync' properly with outlook.  You might have to play around with the settings on outlook, same thing, likely changing to the imap rather than PoP for it, and make sure that it syncs with the rogers server (log into the webmail to check).
Again, without having a BB10 to test.. but I would GUESS that if you set the account up via the built in yahoo protocol, it would then be able to sync those across then to the BB.

All in all, without exchange, etc.. there is no direct way to get your calendar info, etc out to the BB10... without having it sync to the server inbetween, it needs that center point to handle the sync.

Hopefully this maybe will give a little insight.  Once I receive my BB here, I can test with it, if you don't have this resolved by that point 😞

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Help - cannot sync Yahoo to Outlook stand alone desktop

Thanks for the information.

If I take the BB10 out of the questions for a minute and just focus on synchronizing Yahoo Outlook.

How can I get my Outlook email folders, calendar and contacts to sync to my Yahoo? I was able to add my Yahoo email to my Outlook and the "send a test email" was successful however it appears nothing is happening at my Yahoo email page. I think I am missing a step at the yahoo end.  Note, I upgraded to Yahoo plus and selected "Access Rogers Yahoo! Mail via POP" under the "Options" tab in the "Pop and filtering" heading. I do not see anything at the Yahoo end that addresses synchronizing.

Confused 😉

WJL
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would have to look further into it, I will try in the next day or so, to look at outlook. (May not have access to a pc for a day or so)

But the connection if anything to yahoo from outlook would have to be different anyways, pop is NOT what you want. Pop will only download the info to your outlook, its not a 2 way sync.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OK while I have not tested, this is what I have been able to find

There is no direct way to 100 % all in one thing sync fully between the two. Its sort of a multi part process.

To get the email portion to sync, all folders, etc, you will want to use the imap server for incoming. Use these settings:
http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_MOBILE&locale=en_US&id=SLN3361&pir=IX.tVnRib...

Then for the contacts. They don't communicate across the same protocol, so have to be done sepperately. This appears to be the only method.
http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/sync/
That software should sync them with outlook.

Now your bb10 you would want to use the same imap settings. Syncing Cal and contacts may prove a bit more difficult. Only way currently I can figure, would be to use the Bob desktop software to do the sync that way, but requires you to plug it in.

This stems from yahoo not using active sync, which would do it all.

If I come up with anything else I will post.

I've Been Around

First mistake is getting a BB. BB is a losing organization, if you can not sync the No 1 email packge then what is the phone good for.

Hope they go bankrupt

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Avajda,
That is nothing to do with the op's problem.

This sync issue actualy is across ALL phone platforms. None of the phones will fully sync all the cal, contacts and emails all in one using their native email apps. It's a limitation of the Rogers yahoo email. The only way is to use external mail apps on the phones.

There are only really 2 ways, bes sync which the old BB's used, and active sync. Active sync is what iphone and android both use as well, with compatable mail servers, or things like exchange. The new Bb10 is only via active sync now, which makes it actualy the same as the others.

So the issue in the end comes that Rogers yahoo mail doesn't support active sync. This makes it an issue of ANY device connecting to it that way, which includes outlook. If this was an exchange server? Both outlook and the BB, no issues at all.

I've Been Around

Blackberry link has been updated a couple of days ago. Version 1.1.1.26 now includes a two way sync to your calendar and contacts in Outlook on your PC.