Bridged SMCD3 and connected to Dlink WBR1310 router. Only got LOCAL connection , no internet connection on laptop. Internet connection was fine in desktop (wired).
Also tried HITRON bridged and connected to Dlink . No internet either. But when in gateway mode, Dlink could send internet signal through wireless. How to deal with that? I am not sure it is my Dlink router defective?
Well, the 'local connection' yes would show up, as its connecting to from the laptop to the dlink... but beyond that, was not working.
Now, in the first configuration, with the SMC, were you in bridged mode? or not?
In the bridged mode (on either) what port were you connecting INTO the dlink? Should be the WAN.
When in gateway mode... was it then in one of the LAN ports?
ONLY thing i can think of... just from the info so far.. is that in gateway mode, the hitron, etc is providing DHCP, and would ASSUME that the dlinks dhcp is then off (otherwise could have a conflict).
Now... in that case, if you turn it into BRIDGED mode.. the dhcp on the gateway/modem is now OFF.. and if it is off as well on the wireless.. that would stop it from getting a proper address, and the internet connection.
thank you kitty,
what I did :
1. Hitron in "bridge", connect its LAN 4 to Dlink WAN. No internet in laptop, only local.
2. Hitron in "bridge", connect its LAN 4 to Dlink LAN. No internet in laptop, only local. It also showed 2 connections(Dlink and public).
3. Hitron in "gateway", connect its LAN 4 to Dlink WAN , No internet in laptop, only local.
4. Hitron in "gateway", connect its LAN 4 to Dlink LAN 2 . Internet and local both worked.
5. SMC in "bridge", connect its LAN 4 TO Dlink WAN . No internet in laptop, only local.
6. SMC in "bridge", connect its LAN 4 TO Dlink LAN 2. No internet , only local.
what is the dhcp? how do I make it work?
OK.. from the LOOKS of it.. i am guessing my assumptions are right.
DHCP, is what assignes the local addresses, that it knows how to route them out to the internet.
As 3 & 4 are the only ones, where the gatways is supplying DHCP. 3 is not wired correctly, so that could be the cause. 4 is wired correctly, for that setup.. and would get internet, from the DHCP, running on the gateway itself.
This leads me to beleive, that the DHCP, is off on your dlink.
Now, this is while its in bridged mode, on the gateway.. with your configuration #5
You will have to log into your Dlink router. Not familiar with that model (and not easily able to look it up unfortunately), but somewhere in there, there should be an option for DHCP on or off (often will have a range of where it will assign addresses as well). Make sure this is ON.
Too difficult for me to figure it out. I am gonna dump my Dlink too and buy another router for SMC. Will some give me a suggestion for a modle of wireless router which will work with SMC?