Help, SMCD3 gateway bridged + Dlink WBR1310 router = no wireless internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rabbit613
I Plan to Stick Around

Help, SMCD3 gateway bridged + Dlink WBR1310 router = no wireless internet

Bridged SMCD3 and connected to Dlink WBR1310 router. Only got LOCAL connection , no internet connection on laptop. Internet connection was fine in desktop (wired). 

Also tried HITRON bridged and connected to Dlink . No internet either. But when in gateway mode, Dlink could send internet signal through wireless. How to deal with that? I am not sure it is my Dlink router defective?

***edited labels***

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Help, SMCD3 gateway bridged + Dlink WBR1310 router = no wireless internet

Hmm..

Well, the 'local connection' yes would show up, as its connecting to from the laptop to the dlink... but beyond that, was not working.

Now, in the first configuration, with the SMC, were you in bridged mode? or not?

In the bridged mode (on either) what port were you connecting INTO the dlink?  Should be the WAN.
When in gateway mode... was it then in one of the LAN ports?

ONLY thing i can think of... just from the info so far.. is that in gateway mode, the hitron, etc is providing DHCP, and would ASSUME that the dlinks dhcp is then off (otherwise could have a conflict).
Now... in that case, if you turn it into BRIDGED mode.. the dhcp on the gateway/modem is now OFF.. and if it is off as well on the wireless.. that would stop it from getting a proper address, and the internet connection.

rabbit613
I Plan to Stick Around

thank you  kitty,

what I did :

1. Hitron in "bridge", connect its LAN 4 to Dlink WAN.  No internet in laptop, only local.

2. Hitron in "bridge", connect its LAN 4 to Dlink LAN. No internet in laptop, only local. It also showed 2 connections(Dlink and public).

3. Hitron in "gateway", connect its LAN 4 to Dlink WAN , No internet in laptop, only local.

4. Hitron in "gateway", connect its LAN 4 to Dlink LAN 2 . Internet and local both worked.

5. SMC in "bridge", connect its LAN 4 TO Dlink WAN . No internet in laptop, only local.

6. SMC in "bridge", connect its LAN 4 TO Dlink LAN 2. No internet , only local.

what is the dhcp? how do I make it work?

rabbit613
I Plan to Stick Around

DHCP is enabled. IP address range is 100--199
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OK.. from the LOOKS of it.. i am guessing my assumptions are right.

DHCP, is what assignes the local addresses, that it knows how to route them out to the internet.

As 3 & 4 are the only ones, where the gatways is supplying DHCP.  3 is not wired correctly, so that could be the cause.  4 is wired correctly, for that setup.. and would get internet, from the DHCP, running on the gateway itself.

This leads me to beleive, that the DHCP, is off on your dlink.

Now, this is while its in bridged mode, on the gateway.. with your configuration #5
You will have to log into your Dlink router.  Not familiar with that model (and not easily able to look it up unfortunately), but somewhere in there, there should be an option for DHCP on or off (often will have a range of where it will assign addresses as well).  Make sure this is ON.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Huh..

Well in config 5... any of the ports, to wan on the dlink.. with DHCP on.. SHOULD work.. assuming that its getting the info properly from the gateway itself.

rabbit613
I Plan to Stick Around

WAN DHCP client disconnected.
LAN DHCP server enabled

rabbit613
I Plan to Stick Around

Too difficult for me to figure it out. I am gonna dump my Dlink too and buy another router for SMC. Will some give me a suggestion for a modle of wireless router which will work with SMC? 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am running the smc right now, but NOT in bridged mode, using it as a gateway, but with the wireless off. I am able to get full advertised speeds and no disconnects using my own router.

I am using a linksys e2500. It's a dual band router. My boss has used the two models higher than it, dual band. Great range and success with them.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@rabbit613 wrote:

Too difficult for me to figure it out. I am gonna dump my Dlink too and buy another router for SMC. Will some give me a suggestion for a modle of wireless router which will work with SMC? 

This was posted in another thread.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-routers/