Help Please, Just got Fibe 60 with Cgn3, Having terrible latency issues with online games.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Help Please, Just got Fibe 60 with Cgn3, Having terrible latency issues with online games.

Thats a very interesting result.  I'm going to have to think about this one for a while.  There are three external addresses for the modem, the WAN IP, the DOCSIS IP, which is a 7.41.xxx.xxx address and the DOSCIS Gateway IP address which is also a 7.41.xxx.xxx address.  To really ping the external address, I think, and I might be wrong here, that you would have to ping 7.41.xxx.xxx address.  The problem is that access to the user interface with the new firmware has been lost, and I'm not sure at the moment if the DOCSIS IP address stays the same if the modem is flipped from Gateway to Bride mode.  The way to determine that is to flip back into Gateway mode, log in and check the addresses as seen on the STATUS....DOCSIS WAN page, flip back into Bridge mode and then run a path ping to those DOCSIS WAN IP addresses.  If that address stays the same then one can ping the address and determine a true latency with the modem in Bridge mode and a router in place.  I'm a lilttle surprised at the 0 ms response time, so I'm wondering if the ping is only to the external side of the Asus router, and not the modem external address.  At the end of the day, pinging the external address of the modem will finally establish whether or not the combination of modem in Bridge mode with a router is reducing any latency out to the front end of the modem, which in turn affects the latency, at least to some degree, that you see in gaming.  It might be a small part of it, but it would be nice to be able to quantify it.

Where do you go from here.  Now thats a good question.  The 87U will last a very long time if you decide to keep it.  I don't think that it has Multi User Multiple Input Multiple Output enabled yet, which will allow it to supply high bandwidth Wifi to multiple users simultaniously.  That will probably happen in a future update.  If you are looking for a capable router for other duties, that would be a good candidate, or you could step down to something like the RT-AC68U.  It just depends on whether you need to replace an existing router and want to spend the money.

As far a WOW, my thoughts would be to ping off Blizzard to see if you can't get something done through them.  Maybe Gdkitty could off an opinon for further action to take.  I think you have basically proven at this point that any latency at your end is not due to anything that you can improve upon.  You've done all that you can in terms of determining that your equipment is running as it should be.  The random latency of the modem is an issue, which doesn't help, but may not be the bigger part of the problem from what I can see.

Can you go through your last post and delete your 99.251.xxx.xxx address completely, and go through the post before that and change the same address to 99.251.xxx.xxx.  I've seen what I need to see but don't want that address hanging around in view.

I'm an Advisor

Re: Help Please, Just got Fibe 60 with Cgn3, Having terrible latency issues with online games.

This info may not be relevant, but here's a partial snap shot of how my CGN3 looked after the firmware update before putting it in bridge mode:

System information

This menu displays general information of the device

HW Version

1A

SW Version

Serial Number

RF MAC

84:94:8c:88:2d:b0

System Time

Thu, 18 Dec 2014 07:37:44

Time Zone

UTC-05:00 Colombia, Eastern Time, Indiana(East)

LAN Up Time

000 days 00h:07m:59s

WAN IP

173.xx.xxx.32/23

WAN Receiving

4.59M Bytes

WAN Sending

438.35K Bytes

Private LAN IP Address

192.xxx.xxx.1/24

LAN Receiving

1013.64K Bytes

LAN Sending

9.96M Bytes

WAN Up Time

49710 days 01h:34m:24s

DOCSIS WAN

This menu displays both upstream and downstream signal parameters

DOCSIS Overview

Network Access

Permitted

IP Address

7.73.xxx.xxx

Subnet Mask

Gateway IP

7.73.xxx.x

DHCP Lease Time

😧 06 H: 03 M: 54 S: 45

Wan Info

WAN Address

173.xx.xxx.32/23

Prefix Length

DNS Server

192.xxx.x.xx

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@VivienM wrote:

Can you do 200 pings to the asus router (192.168.1.1) and then another 200 pings to your default gateway? (You should be able to tell the default gateway's IP somewhere in the Asus router's config, it will be an IP in the same block as your WAN IP)

I wonder how world of warcraft picks which server you connect to...

Wow runs... X many servers.  You actually have a 'home' server (though alot are merged now, you still connect to you 'home' one).
Based on WHAT that home server is... will depend on its location.

From my memory.. there are two datacenters.. Chicago and LA.  (there was a 3rd for ocianic.. but they actually recently moved from US to AUS FINALLY).

Depending on what the persons HOME server is.. while they may make SOME commuication with the MAIN LA servers for authentication.. once connected you are talking to your respective datacenter.

I have helped off and on in the past on the wow tech forums... and this is something that pops up many times.. canada, US, etc.
MANY times the ISPs or usually BLIZZARD gets blamed for the bad lag.... but when alot of testing is being done, many times its a major NODE inbetween thats causing the issues for almost all of them.

From one ISP to another.. this may not effect one/the other, if they are not going through that node.

EG: I know my ping times have NEVER been great to the wow server i play on.. but i am also playing on a LA server.. so much farther than a chicago one.
I normally sit 109 to 150ms (which is actually BETTER than it was in the past).
But sitting at work, on Bell business fiber... i am getting 74ms.  (the fibre probably helps with some.. but also bells pathing is fairly different for wow from what i have seen)

I Plan to Stick Around

The servers I play on Illidan and Sargeras are both Chicago data centres, I just am guessing it's the way Rogers connects to them, like I said I was on bell previously and had a ms of 20ish on all servers, now with Rogers I'm sitting around 100ms+ on all servers... I'm starting to get the feeling I'm just gonna have to deal with the lag....

Like I said there's no difference at all between the cgn3 alone and it with the Asus my ms is the same in game.

Datalink I can't edit my post from my phone for some reason so I will when I get home.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. i dont really think its a lag issue LOCALY..

If i remember tonight, i will test from home, comparing my LA server to a chicago one, and see if i see any difference.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hmm Data that one post it doesn't let me edit anymore.

Also so basically is there any point in me keeping that expensive router? I have noticed no difference playing with or without it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'll ask one of the mods to take care of the posts.

To keep the router, or not to keep the modem, that is a good question.  That will depend on whether or not you need a really good wireless router or not, whether or not you want a router or firewall sitting between the Rogers network and your network and what your future plans are for wireless streaming and buying other devices.  If you don't do much in terms of wifi activity, then maybe the CGN3 is sufficient for your current needs.  That is something that you have to expereiment with, in terms of what devices you use now and whether or not the CGN3 has the range to support them throughout your home.  The plays into the issue of what you might acquire down the road and what support it, or they might need.  There is always the question, buy the device and then the router to support it, or buy the router first, and be ready for whatever else you might buy?  Kind of a chicken and egg situation.  Only you can decide that one, based on what your future device acquisitions might be.  The last item is runnng a firewall or router after the Rogers modem.  Can tech support see what your network looks like, yes, is that a concern, only you can answer that one.  Placing a firewall or router in the network really gives you privacy and added security for your own network.  If that is important, then running the 87U or possibly something else might be appropriate.  I can't answer the question that your asking, all I can do is point out the possible benefits of running a separate router.

A couple things to consider, if you need port forwarding, running a third party router is the way to do it.  If you need wireless printer support, a third party router is a must.  If you need better wifi performance than the CGN3 is providing in your home, a third party router is the way to go.  In the future, mobile devices will support beam forming which the 87U will support.  That should result in greatly improved data rates between the 87U and the device.  It takes a router of this price range and class to get see that type of performance.  You won't see it right now, but you will in the future.  Hope that provides some food for thought....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just made a character on Saragaras.

now, my setup, i am using the CGN3, NOT bridged (so in gateway mode).  With a ASUS router connected just as an AP.
I am on wireless.

And i was geting about a 76ms to saragaras.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ya, I have my CGN3 Hooked up directly again, and its wired, I am getting about 60-70ms on sargeras and illidan for my home, my world is at about 130ish, so I am guessing then these are just normal values for those servers with rogers?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, thats likely normal.

HOME is the latency to your HOME server (so chicago).

WORLD can connect to other servers.. so could be that data center or others..

So world latency CAN go up.. depedending on where you are, how much other information needs to be transmitted (in a populated area, etc)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2065776684

I was getting 76ish on BOTH.. but that was in a starting area.. so makes sense.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation