Help - I'm unable to get to signin screen for Rogers Gateway Modem to change wifi network name

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Help - I'm unable to get to signin screen for Rogers Gateway Modem to change wifi network name

I am trying to change my wifi network name (I foolishly used my last name) and I'm following the instructions found here:

http://redboard.rogers.com/2014/how-to-jazz-up-your-home-wifi-network-name/

but I can't get to the modem signin screen.  I've tried entering the verified IP address using Explorer and Chrome and no signin screen appears.  I've tried changing my firewall settings (using Kaspersky) and nothing seems to work.  I'm not very handy with computers, so I'm quite lost and confused.

Here is the message I receive from Chrome, my default browser, when I put the IP address in to the address bar: 

Google Chrome is having trouble accessing the network.

This may be because your firewall or antivirus software wrongly thinks Google Chrome is an intruder on your computer and is blocking it from connecting to the Internet.
Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.
Error code: ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED

Thank you,

Hattie
Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Help - I'm unable to get to signin screen for Rogers Gateway Modem to change wifi network name

The easiest way to solve this is to reset the modem.  There is a recessed reset button at the back of the modem.  Using a pen, or some relatively sharp object, with the modem powered up, hold down that recessed button for 10 seconds and release.  That will initiate a factory reset, after which the modem will reboot.  Once that is done, reboot the pc as well.  After that, you should be able to log into the modem's log in page at 192.168.0.1 using the default username and password.  The only drawback of course is having to re-enter the settings.  You can store those settings on your pc as a backup file and then restore the modem to those settings in the future if the need arises.

The SSID, or network name should not reflect you personally, your home addresss or any other name that could be used to indentify you or your home.  The field is 32 characters in length.  Go crazy on the keyboard and fill it with random characters and symbols.  Normally you don't have to enter that into any device as the device usually detects whatever networks are in operation.  Random characters and symbols will prevent anyone from using a dictionary or lookup type of attack where the pre-computed lookup files can be bought off the internet.  You should also use the same approach to the passphrase.  The combination of those two should help any miscreants intent on hacking make the decision to move on to easier targets.

**UPDATE**

Hey User1432909,

In case you get stuck you can follow the steps from these links.  Just make sure you select the link for the correct type of gateway.

SMC 8014W-G
SMC D3GN
Cisco DPC2325
Cisco DPC3825
Hitron CGN2
Hitron CGN3

Thanks

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation