cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harmony Remote and Ignite

Juliafoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey guys so I just got the ignite tv installed last night.  Set up my harmony remote with hub to operate it.  It only sort of works.  I tried it with both Xfinity Xi6-A and X1. It works for the most part but channel selection, when I dial in a series of numbers, is super slow and sometimes does not react.  Other times it picks it up twice.   Very annoying.  All the other stuff works pretty well, like guide, channel up and down, etc.  Any suggestions?  I have already adjusted the command repeats and this just makes a mess of it even further!

thanks!

julia

***Added Labels***

73 REPLIES 73

Re: Harmony Remote and Ignite

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Juliafoo : Do the channels change properly when you use the Rogers remote?  Sometimes if commands are "slow to take" the box (system) may be busy doing other things. This is especially true when you are new and the system is doing lots of background configuring, etc.

Juliafoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there when I am using the harmony remote, using Xi6-A device configuration, dialing in a channel by number is extremely slow and sometimes only recognizes the second or third number or make double entries.  So if I dial in “476” I might get “76” or 447766” or any other random combination.  Tried changing the command repeats to no real advantage.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Juliafoo :  Please answer the first question in post 564, which responded to your similar questions in post 563.  Sometimes certain remotes/equipment may have issues with IR interference.  Check out the following thread on the topic.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-hdtv-high-definition-television-including-lcd-plasma/64463-your-...

Juliafoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi ok sorry, in answer to your question, the actual Rogers remote works perfectly. Funnily enough, using the harmony app on my phone or iPad works better than using the harmony remote!

i will check out the link you sent.  Thank you.

julia

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

Some obvious things ...

Is iPhone perfect, or just not as bad (you say “better”).   I assume iPhone is used in exact same seating position as the remote.  

Are other buttons on Harmony sluggish (eg INFO or GUIDE).?

Remote betteries are good?

Juliafoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there thank you for  that article.  Very interesting.  I think if IR interference is my problem then I have many culprits in my set up.  65 inch LCD tv, the STB is on a glass shelf and I also have some old IR Extenders that I am not sure what they are connected to but are hanging down behind the stereo equipment flashing away at all times.  I will try to clean up all possible IR interference issues and let you know if there is any improvement.

Thank you!

Juliafoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Well I would say the iPhone is considerably better but not perfect.  Same seating position when testing remotes.  Also, the harmony remote sits in a recharger when not in use so I think the batteries should be fine.  It has no trouble operating the other equipment - Apple TV, vcr, amplifier.  

Thanks

julia

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Juliafoo wrote:

...I also have some old IR Extenders that I am not sure what they are connected to but are hanging down behind the stereo equipment flashing away at all times.

If the extenders are not used any more, please unplug them. That may be enough.  As mentioned in my link, extenders are very prone to IR interference.  If that doesn't work, try turning off the TV and change channels on Rogers. See if the channel changes properly by powering the TV back on to the new channel.  Leave the TV off for a minute so that any stray IR from the TV dissipates before testing the channel changes.  Good luck. As noted in the link, there are lots of possibilities for IR interference and you need to rule them out one at a time.

You can also try getting really close to the Rogers box with the Harmony to see if that helps - another indication that the frequencies are correct, but that something is blocking the proper signal, or enhancing the signal so that two signals are "heard" as in your example of channel 447766....

Juliafoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there thanks for the info on which model to use. I have added the Xi6-A to my harmony but it is so sluggish to respond that it is almost useless any thoughts?  

Thanks

Julia

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello @Juliafoo : I'm not quite sure why you've posted similar questions several times in this thread.  Have you seen my response in post 573?  Have you worked your way through the IR interference points?  Do you have anything new to add?  I do not recall others having similar problems, so it seems the issue is specific to your home/installation.  I have seen the IR interference issue several times during my years optimizing home theatres.  Have you tried the Harmony closer to the box - a couple of feet away?

Juliafoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there! Sorry if it is bad policy to post the same type of question in several places. I am a little new to this forum.

I have worked my way through most of the IR interference possibilities. I had an “a-ha“ moment this morning.

This is what I think happens:
-My harmony one remote sends a signal via RF to the harmony hub.
- The hub then sends an IR signal to the ignite box.

So the issue was not interference between the remote control and the ignite box. It was a lack of direct line of sight between the hub and the ignite box.
I turned the harmony hub and the ignite box to face each other, an inch or so away, and now the harmony remote seems to be working perfectly. I only had five minutes to test this this morning before I went to work. But I feel like I’m onto something here. Maybe an RF blaster from the harmony hub to the ignite box would be the solution.

What do you think?
Thanks

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello Juliafoo, I think you have hit the nail on the head. My son in law had a similar situation and spent many hours trying to sort out why his Harmony remote wasn’t working properly. Eventually he called Logitech/Harmony support. They suggested that he do exactly as you have done and point the Harmony hub at the Ignite box. Once he did this his Harmony remote works perfectly.

Juliafoo
I Plan to Stick Around

HALLELUJAH! Thanks!

Did he try an IR blaster? The harmony one hub has ports for two on the back. I think I will try that.

Julia

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Juliafoo : Thank you for getting back to us with what appears to be the solution. Earlier you mentioned some old IR extenders that were flashing away.  Are those actually doing anything positive?  If not, I suggest you take them out of the equation.  It may be that they are also interfering with the signal or duplicating it causing "confusion" in your equipment...

Juliafoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes thank you, I have covered them with tape for the moment. I need to follow the wires backwards through a whole mess of stuff to find out where they’re attached and remove them!

Thanks!

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@Juliafoo wrote:
HALLELUJAH! Thanks!

Did he try an IR blaster? The harmony one hub has ports for two on the back. I think I will try that.

Julia

No. His hub and the Ignite box are out in the open. I am also using a Harmony remote with hub and they are both in a cabinet out of line of site so I am using the blaster that came with the remote. Works well in the cabinet, but just in case I have aligned the hub and Ignite box to face each other and that actually improved the way my harmony remote works

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

BTW, the Ignite box suoorts bot IR and RF

Juliafoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi just wanted to follow up to say that I have had a chance to test it and everything is working perfectly now!  I took the two IR extenders that came with the Harmony Remote, placed them right in front of the ignite box and voila!  Works great!

Thanks so much for all your help!

julia

Sean77
I've Been Here Awhile

Has anyone been able to get a Harmony Ultimate remote to work with the Ignite STB?  

This Harmony remote connects via RF and NOT IR.  It does not require line of sight.

thanks

Sean

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Sean77,

Welcome to the community!

Though I haven't tested the Harmony Ultimate as I don't have one myself, I am curious to know of it's compatibility. Are you getting any response from it? Have you spoken with Harmony regarding this as well?

RogersAndy

Topic Stats