HTC Raider

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zombiejc
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HTC Raider

@kid_icarus wrote:

can anyone who's purchased the HTC raider run a similar benchmark test as the one done here by dan at mobilesyrup?

the scores really deter me from this phone and makes me wonder if it really is truly this good?

not to mention the amount of ram that is used up on the stock phone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpx1ob67_ss

I've already read the touchwiz is more friendly to another launcher while the senseui doesn't allow for it?

I got the similar benchmarks as the video, but benchmarks don't mean a whole lot, it's about UI responsiveness, and this phone performs. From the user end this offering from HTC will be up to if not exceed that of the galaxy, but if you are looking to break benchmark scores then this phone isn't for you then.

kid_icarus
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the comments! very insightful!

So this issue with the 2nd core... that's really interesting.

why would one need to unlock the 2nd core though? if it's optimized to "come online" when needed... then is that not suffice? or do some ppl prefer it to be on 24/7?

i can understand how benchmarks are not really the be all end all, but then why do so many ppl include them in their reviews? seems misleading if things like the dual core doesn't kick in until later etc...

and the thing witht he sense ui?

is that not a disadvantage?

my friend showed me all the cool stuff he's done with his GS2 by using a different launcher.

so if i go with HTC i'll be stuck with the "fixed" Sense UI?

JimmyJo
I Plan to Stick Around

The great thing about Android is that you can customize. If you don't like the Sense UI you can go ahead and download a different one.
JimmyJo
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone want to comment on how it runs apps, especially common ones such as Facebook, Twitter, MP3 player and probably games? That's pretty much what I want to get out of a new phone.
CP100
I Plan to Stick Around

I installed GoLauncher just for a change of pace but it only takes a tap of the home button to switch from GL to Sense and vice versa.

The drawback is if you like Sense Widgets you lose them when you use another UI, but tapping on shortcuts still brings you to the sense software app (for mail, mms etc.)

The plus (for me) of GL is the app drawer is animated and you can hide apps (using 2.1 on Magic with Sense 1.0) plus some other neat desktop stuff it does.
zombiejc
I Plan to Stick Around

@JimmyJo wrote:
Anyone want to comment on how it runs apps, especially common ones such as Facebook, Twitter, MP3 player and probably games? That's pretty much what I want to get out of a new phone.

I haven't noticed any issues, I doin't use twitter but facebook runs smoother than my iPhone did, games have run flawlessy from what I've done so far. As far as music goes, the sound is amazing and the app is verry responsive, takes seconds to set up playlists on the go and scroll through your music and the sound is amazing. the only issue is that it seems to cut out when you recieve or send a text for a split second.

JimmyJo
I Plan to Stick Around

@zombiejc wrote:

I haven't noticed any issues, I doin't use twitter but facebook runs smoother than my iPhone did, games have run flawlessy from what I've done so far. As far as music goes, the sound is amazing and the app is verry responsive, takes seconds to set up playlists on the go and scroll through your music and the sound is amazing. the only issue is that it seems to cut out when you recieve or send a text for a split second.

Good to know.  I wonder how annoying the music cutting out would be.  I know that when I recieve a text on my POS iPhone that the music goes down for a second and I get the notification sound.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Agreed. Facebook, Twitter & games such as angry birds run really smooth & fast. No lag what so ever. The music player is amazing. Better then the iPhone one. The sound is amazing as well. That issue you are talking about with the cutting out while receiving a call or text its only for a like a sec.  same goes with the iPhone. Some phones have that installed to let you know you got a text or a email if your phone is in your pocket. For me that is not a big issue since its like a warning letting you know you got a text.

JimmyJo
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah it's a good feature. I was just commenting on the fact that my iPhone is a POS.

I'm swearing off all Apple products forever.
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Well honestly coming from a SG2 & both iphone 4 & 4S.The Raider is amazing. The music player on the Raider lets you cut out & pick your own Ringtones ( you can customize the ringtones as one of your songs from your music.)

The camera on this is pure AMAZING. Clear shots & you have so many options on it.
It even has a little LED notification on the top front left side to let you know you got a message as well.

The battery lasted me 16 hours on it. I used apps, played music for about 4 hours ( on & off) had wifi turned on, Brighness was on Auto. During the night i had turned off the wifi & i left open Facebook, a few other apps on. The battery on this seems to last a bit longer then it does on the SG2 & the iPhone 4S. I am not saying the battery on the SG2 dies really fast but for me it died within 5 hours. This one took 16 hours to die & in normal use it died i 9 hours. ( tested the battery out to the max.)