cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Raider

kid_icarus
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey everyone,

like the dozens of angry customers waiting for the Samsung S2 LTE and some who have already gone ahead and picked up an HTC Raider instead, I think the Raider deserves a thread of it's own.

Personally I thought about getting the raider last Friday when it was first released. I too am tired of waiting for the Galaxy S2.

However, I've read pros and cons of the Raider.

Without going into the "PHYSICAL" aspects of the phone aka size/thickness, can everyone post your review/thoughts and pros/cons of the Raider?

I've love to known if this phone is better in terms of performance. Some have already praised the camera so would love to hear how this compares to the SGS2 as well.

Thanks everyone!

******* Edit labels ********

375 REPLIES 375

Re: HTC Raider

JimmyJo
I Plan to Stick Around
Ok so I just picked up this bad boy and I'm having the same network problems as everyone else. The reps in the store thought it was a phone issue so we actually tried 2 different phones. They couldn't figure it out so I just took the phone home hoping i can figure it out myself. Called tech support and he said i NEEDED an LTE SIM. But now I'm reading that the phone should work with a regular SIM. I'm currently in a non-LTE area (Edmonton). As of now (11:21PM) I still haven't been able to use Rogers' data network. Text and Voice works fine. I hope tomorrow it'll be a different story.

JimmyJo
I Plan to Stick Around
Can someone post their working APN settings for this phone using a non-LTE SIM card? Thanks.

Jimmylegs
I Plan to Stick Around
Same issues for me.

Jimmylegs
I Plan to Stick Around
No data... Spent lots of time with rogers on it. Tried different Sims etc...LTE non-LTE... Phone can't access data.... Certainly a rogers issue. Love the phone I hope its sorted soon.

amsid
I Plan to Stick Around

yeah i'm in the same boat... looks like its a Rogers issue. sucks cause i was just about trying to get things rolling and settled with this phone. loving it so far! they better fix this shiet soon

JimmyJo
I Plan to Stick Around
I guess we wait till the morning... grumble grumble

A fix will be done 'as early as next week'

indcarnage
I Plan to Stick Around

Smiley Very Happy LOL. Now that's really funny!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Lol let's hope not. If it has not changed by the morning I will call in ans see what is going on.

MicNoe
I Plan to Stick Around

Cana nyone who has the phone commnet on connectivity. How do you get files on the device? Does it open as an external drive.

I have a MAC and samsung devices give me a lot of trouble on my MAC.

kid_icarus
I Plan to Stick Around

i had connectivity last night as well up until i went to bed

when i woke up, everything was down.

**EDIT** i realize now that i was on WIFI at home so nvm... it was probably down a lot earlier. 

has anyone heard anything from rogers regarding network outage?

or is this isolated to our phones only?

btw i picked up the raider after work yday

liking it so far.

question though: while i swipe RIGHT over the screen and going over the "frame" of the phone. i feel it's slightly loose or there is a bit of a gap between the screen and the frame.

does anyone else get this?

swiping LEFT is fine. the case is nice and tight with no tangible "gap" or looseness.

just wondering if i should return it or if this is natural in all of the raiders because of the volume rocker.

Re: HTC Raider a couple more questions

MicNoe
I Plan to Stick Around

Also, can you delete homescreens in HTC sense 3.0. I usually only use 3. The Galaxy tab does not allow this and the first app I downloaded was ADW Launcher to rectify this annoyance. If you cannot delele homescreens this phone is a NO for me. I am pretty my getting it for sense. Wouldn't make much sense if I replace the launcher... 😛

Also reading the review below:

http://www.androidincanada.ca/news/google-chrome-making-its-way-to-android/

"Battery Life.

HTC Raider comes with a 1620 Li-Ion mAh battery. Using the HTC Raider day to day, I found the battery was draining pretty fast, which is to be expected from a HTC device. HTC Sense is beautiful, although it is a large factor why most HTC phones have poor battery life. I was able to get through a full day on medium to heavy use, but I couldn’t go much farther than that. I would label the battery length as poor for this phone sadly.

But for what the phone is capable of, there are other things that easily make up for its lack in battery." <www.androidincanada.ca/>

Would you guys agree?

Also the pictures thie user posted look horrible and pixelated. Is this normal?

JimmyJo
I Plan to Stick Around

Data issues for me still.  I hope they fix it soon. 😞

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Like i have said. My Raider lasted me over 8 hours playing music, emailing, texting, facebok, internet & also calling my GF. & i was on 4G That is heavy use & it lasted me 8 hours ( more then what my iPhone 4/4S did.) He does not know the batter saving option does he?... sad that he wrote a review yet does not know that stuff....

The pictures are taken in Normal shots. He has not changed the settings for outdoors. The Raider has settings in which will make the picture beautiful when its on outdoor setting.

Believe what he says if you want. about 6 of us on here had said its a amazing phone with no problem & the battery life is better then the iPhones.

villinvr6
I Plan to Stick Around
Im in Winnipeg, and yes, data only working on wifi at the moment...when switched to 4G...blah.

JimmyJo
I Plan to Stick Around
Can someone post the correct APN settings for when 4G is actually back up and running?

The guys at the Rogers store and on the tech support line changed them up but I'm not sure which is the right one.

Played around with the phone last night and enjoyed it. Will have more time today to figure it out.

Is there an easy way to get rid of Rogers bloatware? I was trying to delete applications but it wasn't working for me.

villinvr6
I Plan to Stick Around
Same here..no data ..and now no 4G...double time.

Jimmylegs
I Plan to Stick Around

So I spent A LOT of time yesterday evening with various reps trying to figure out the data issue on my new HTC Raider.  I am very relieved in some ways to hear others are having the same issue as it means it is not just me...

I actually got a new handset, new sim cards, reset everything.  Basically for 6 hours went through everything the technicians could think of.  Still no data.  I absolutely love this phone.  I really hope Rogers fixes it.  The technicians even changed my plan to LTE, then non-LTE etc... as it stands now I have a reference number and a "ticket" which means Rogers technicians will be looking into this more closely and getting back to me within 24-48 hours.  I will keep you posted...  The only thing I found a little concerning is most of the technicians had no idea Rogers had released this phone.   Perhaps we have uncovered one of the glitches that has delayed the release of the S2 LTE???  Anyway, this phone is incredible... please Rogers, get my data back up and running.

kid_icarus
I Plan to Stick Around

does it show 3G or 4G at the top of the phone? All i see are my reception bars.

not sure how ppl are locating their 3g or 4g status?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Called in just now. Not even Edge is working.. He said try to get another sim card & activate that one ( i will activate the LTE sim to see if it works) If that does not work he said it could be the antenna in the phone or the phone it self 😕

I tried to explain that another 10 people are having the same exact issue & he seems not to understand that..

MicNoe
I Plan to Stick Around

My main concerns are

Deleteable home screens - I only use 3, and I don’t want to buy a phone with sense only to get a replacement launcher.  The captivate allows this but the Tab does not. I find the more homescreens you have the more memory will be consumed. Also I am just OCD about having empty screens on my device.. 😛

Battery - I start my day at 7 am and plug my phone it at around 10 pm, with 3 hours of calling and medium usage of texting and data. I don’t use Facebook/Twitter widgets and only have MAIL, weather and power management widgets currently. I invested in a tablet so my data usage on my phone will be relatively low once I get a case for that device. I will be using my phone to play music and may watch local video's when too lazy to carry around the tab.

Connectivity - I need it to open up as a removable drive on my MAC. The captivate does this, but the Galaxy tab does not. And while Kies is good enough for syncing media, I cannot drop other files unless I use Windows or a wireless option like dropbox.

Weight - Going from a Captivate (118g) and an Iphone 3g (133g) to Raider (177g). Does it really matter? Do you feel the weight difference? I personally have stopped buying cases and coat my devices with invisible shield which tends to look like crap after a couple of months due to scuffs and dirt build up.

Memory - I have a 16gb micro sd so I should be able to get around 32 of total memory (16 internal + 16 external). Correct me if I'm wrong

NFC - Seems important but I am guessing it won't be fully utilized at least for the next two years so don't think it really matters.

Root  - How hard/easy would it be to root the phone incase I want a custom rom on there.

Signal and call volume - The signal on my captivate is HORRIBLE. Cannot speak on the Go Train at all!! The call drops if you switch from 3g to 2g which is quite irritating. Is this normal for all phones?  I have read that  HTC phone require a volume fix to increase the overall volume. Has anyone needed this so far? Also I'm not sure what Rogers is marketing when it comes to talking in the elevator because it certainly does not work for me. My connection will usually drop to edge and will stay like that unless I reboot. Weird...

As far as this issue that you guys are having currently regarding data, could someone elaborate?

Why I am really interested in this particular phone:

ANDROID - honestly though I love my MAC and OS X, once I used android, I just could never go back to using IOS. The amount of customization that is possible is ridiculous. Only problem I have is the app store is all over the place and you sometimes need to dig through garbage to find something amazing. But that’s what Google is for 😛

HTC SENSE - can’t get enough of it. That flip clock is stuck in my head.

LED Indicator - One feature I love on my blackberry and am surprised is not on the S2

HTC updates - no more being tied to the computer and hoping my phone will be recognized by Kies. HTC also seems to update their phone much quicker and from what I can tell this is OTA.

Also, my hesitation regarding the S2 is that I refuse to give any more money to SAMSUNG because they have HORRIBLE customer service. They told me to contact Google after their TouchWiz software broke 2.2's ability to mount your internal SD card as an external drive. The only reason I got their tablet is because I liked the slim form factor, don’t require LTE yet and got it on an amazing deal.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats