HTC Raider ICS update available ...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HTC Raider ICS update available ...

I also received the update this morning. Unfortunately for me It didn't go smoothly. I rooted my phone and unlocked the bootloader, then installed a custom Recovery. Due to that the update would not apply. Had to find the original RUU rogers released with the phone on the internet and re-flash it to my phone before the update finally applied.

I'm quite please with the update. UI interactions are smoother, and I'm loving the face unlock feature.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I - like with any computer device - did a clean install.  I flashed the internal memory and then downloaded the update.  Ran it with no problems.

HOWEVER ... afterwards here are a few issues I'm having:

1. Reduced Battery Life
  2. Reduced Reception (Used to get -75 dBm, and now get -95dBm
  3. Would really like to be able to shut off "Background Data" like I could before. (i.e. Accounts & synch, uncheck Background Data)
  4. WiFi is Weak ... I sit 4 feet from my "N" router, my laptop gets 100% signal, the phone 50-60%
  5. LanucherPro works, Launcher Pro Paid version works, BUT ... I can't use the calendar widget.  I've "made do" with some creative widget-ing. (Used the built in calendar, and adjust the size (5 icons wide, 4 icons tall), and have a smaller 2 tall by 3 wide month calendar widget below)  (how do I have 5 columns, and 6 rows? The paid version of Launcher Pro allows me to set that - and it works AWESOMELY - no problem with the screen.)
  6. Too much Rogers Bloat (if I wanted UrMusic, 1 Contacts, 1 Number, Games etc), and the stupid Twitter app.  If I wanted it, I'd download it.

Some good things:

1. LIKE the new font - clock, menu's etc are a non-bold font.
  2. Like the Task Manager (hold home, swip an app to close it.)
  3. Like the blue highlights under the Power Control Bar (used to be green)
  4. LOVE the updates to Gmail and WebKit browser.
  5. Phone seems for the most part, "snappier" - as if the CPU and GPU are being utilized properly.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So I did a quick comparative of my homescreens today ... below is an external image.
Click here to see the image ...

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Does anybody know when they are gonna release the ruu for ics so it can be run on the computer?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

REDUCED battery life????

The main issue I have is battery drain and if the update is going to make it even worse then it's pointless to even bother installing it.

I will wait to hear more people chime in before I bite the bullet.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I also want to know if there are any issues with Flash or other 3rd party software, and if its easily possible to do a factory reset to go back to Gingerbread if the ICS update truly sucks. I've heard stories that you have to send the unit back to get it re-set with is retarded.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@CP100 wrote:
REDUCED battery life????

The main issue I have is battery drain and if the update is going to make it even worse then it's pointless to even bother installing it.

I will wait to hear more people chime in before I bite the bullet.

you could try a Meugen or Sedio extended battery.  Meugen's with the back covere LOOKED nice, but, it was a plastic cover, and I've heard that the clips snap easily.

@CP100 wrote:
I also want to know if there are any issues with Flash or other 3rd party software, and if its easily possible to do a factory reset to go back to Gingerbread if the ICS update truly sucks. I've heard stories that you have to send the unit back to get it re-set with is retarded.

The only 3rd party app I'm having troubles with - and it's the apps fault, for failure to develop - is Launcher Pro (Paid).  ALL of it works (resize widgets, change rows and columns [I use 5 columns, 6 rows, allows 10 more icons per screen than stock], wallpapers etc.) except the LP Calendar widget, which crashes LP, and requires a complete "Clear Settings" of LP. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Allan. The only issue I have with extended batteries with this particular design is the bulge it adds to the back of the case. I'd be better off just getting a second battery of the same size but then I'd have to carry it. I'd also be paying money for extra batteries when the stock one should just work well without having to fork out extra $$.

I can make it last a day as long as I don't use it for extended periods of time, but the whole point of doing an update to ICS was for it to IMPROVE battery use, not make it worse.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

What is the update
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HTC Raider ICS update available [Feedback]

Yes, I'm back to the Raider, especially now that ICS is available on it.

Before I upgrade, can someone give me some feedback on whether or not it's worth updating? Right now I'm quite happy with 2.3.6, it's fast, reliable, doesn't crash too often.

My only concerns updating are:

1. If I don't like it, I can't roll back (wish there was a rollback option) easily.. really, I don't want to root it and start flashing it.

2. Battery life; if ICS will start using the 2 cores I expect battery life will be less than now (which isn't much in my opinion anyway). Would like to know from those that updated what their experience is, appreantly ICS has better battery management. (my gf's iPhone 4S' battery life has a huge improvement when the upgraded to iOS 5 - I would expect the same upgrading to ICS)

3. GPS; GPS now is rock solid, locks on in under 5 secs; I would like this to be the same

Some posts I've read about issues with the GPS, battery life and WiFi after the upgrade, hence my apprehension.

Meow, you have a Raider I think, did you upgrade? Is it worth it?

Cheers y'all!