HELP RINGTONE how to use a song uploaded from computer as a ringtone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drc
I've Been Around

HELP RINGTONE how to use a song uploaded from computer as a ringtone

after a days worth of looking there is no explanation of how and why i can not use any song,recording, or file format as a ringtone. i can only choose from the preinstalled ones and i don't want to go and buy them from the store because i already own them. I tried changing the file types, bit rates, made sure they're under 30 sec long, etc but the phone still says the same thing "File not supported " even though they are mp3's following the same settings as the preinstalled ones which are exactly the same.

my phone is a samsung corby pro GT-B5310R.

does this mean that rogers/samsung only want to make money and have only what is payed to them allowed to use on the phone? is there any way i could ever use my own mp3,wma,etc as my ring tone with out having to buy something?

also note that other than the ring tone problem. the phone lets me play them in the menus, media player and alarm clock but no matter from where and how i do it (settings>Sound Profiles>Normal>Call Ringtone or contacts>Ringtone) i am denied the use of my own tones and music and stuck in a corner where i am forced to buy to counter the bad preinstalled ringtones

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
DigiDis
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HELP RINGTONE how to use a song uploaded from computer as a ringtone

I believe there is Digital Rights Management (DRM) protection on the phone that controls what can and cannot be used as a ringtone. The files on the phone that are usable as ringtones have DRM that allow them to be used, and your mp3s that you downloaded onto the phone do not, so they cannot be used.

Just from browsing the net a bit though It seems many people have found success with the ventones option suggested above.

View solution in original post

All Replies
ne14t
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry to inform you its probably a function that was disabled when the phone was locked for the provider its a pretty common thing, not a single one of my phones aside from the iphone have ever let me make my own ringtones, and I think its mostly to get people to buy them from the Rogers store.  Hope this helps you!

tupput
I've Been Here Awhile

ventones.com is the website I use to convert my songs to ringtones, supports all carriers except koodo

DigiDis
I Plan to Stick Around

I believe there is Digital Rights Management (DRM) protection on the phone that controls what can and cannot be used as a ringtone. The files on the phone that are usable as ringtones have DRM that allow them to be used, and your mp3s that you downloaded onto the phone do not, so they cannot be used.

Just from browsing the net a bit though It seems many people have found success with the ventones option suggested above.

View solution in original post