HDTV Specialty Pack

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

HDTV Specialty Pack

Hello,

I have the HD VIP package, as well as the HDTV Specialty Pack. I really only got the Specialty Pack because I wanted TSN HD. Looking through the list of channels included with HD VIP, it seems to invlude TSN HD. If I cancel the Specialty Pack, does anyone know whether I would still get TSN in HD?

Also, someone told me that if I rent an HD or PVR box, I *have* to have the Specialty Pack. This doesn't seem to make any sense, but this is what I was told. Does anyone know if this is true?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HDTV Specialty Pack

pac_west227, this rep would have adivsed you incorrectly, and obviously didn' t notice there is a price difference between the 2 packages. Price for reg vip = 71.69, price for HD VIP = 81.74. The price difference is 10.05 (which is 9.95 for the HD Spec pack, plus the CRTC LPIF charge)
Although I am a Rogers employee, comments expressed are my own and do not represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. I am not speaking on behalf of the company.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

tsnhd requires certain carriage rules, so a specialty pack or if they offer another competing package, it will meet requirements, other than that if u cancel, u loose tsn hd.  you get tsn sd 4:3 only.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

If you check the Rogers Website, the HD VIP package DOES include TSN HD. 

https://www.rogers.com/web/link/ptvBrowsePackagesFlowBegin?forwardTo=landing

Just click on the link and then check the link at the bottom (See more channels) for all channels included in your package. 

The HD Specialty Pack also includes TSN HD as well as TSN2 HD. So the bottom line is that if you cancel the HD Specialty Pack, you will lose TSN2 HD, but not TSN HD as long as you keep the HD VIP package.

Also, the HD Specialty Pack is NOT required to rent either an HD box or a PVR!

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@richatlaw wrote:

Hello,

I have the HD VIP package, as well as the HDTV Specialty Pack. I really only got the Specialty Pack because I wanted TSN HD. Looking through the list of channels included with HD VIP, it seems to invlude TSN HD. If I cancel the Specialty Pack, does anyone know whether I would still get TSN in HD?

Also, someone told me that if I rent an HD or PVR box, I *have* to have the Specialty Pack. This doesn't seem to make any sense, but this is what I was told. Does anyone know if this is true?

You will lose it!! I also have the HD VIP pack without the specialty pack and NO.. you dont get the tsn HD, just the regular tsn SD. The rep I spoke to said the packs you see online and packages are NOT the same as what they see on their screens as their prices are different too. So the fact you see tsn HD in the HD VIP Pack online DOES NOT EXIST in reality unless you buy the specialty pack for 10 bucks. It's a rip-off because other than TSN HD and TSN 2 HD in the specialty pack, ALL the other channels are already included in the HD VIP pack. Basically you are paying 10 bucks for 2 channels!! 

I yelled and screamed but cable rep said nothing she can do - that's rogers. It's akin to false advertising IMO. Rogers says the specialty pack channels are included but reality it isnt unless you pay the 10 bucks on top of the HD VIP pack. 

**edited for content**

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The HD VIP Pack is nothing but the Digital VIP pack plus the HD Specialty pack.

There is a weird requirement on rogers for the TSN in HD.  if you order digital vip you get the SD chanel of TSN.

To get TSN HD you must get a theme pack that includes it for crtc linkage reasons, theres no way around this, the system will not give u tsnhd if u only have tsnsd,  there might be another theme pack that might meet this requirement though, let me check for u,

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i think sports theme pack "might" give u access to tsnhd also, but i could be wrong, let me double check, or wait for a rogers social media representative to take over

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Here's what the cable rep told me:

Digital VIP - for those with SD boxes, SD TSN included.

HD Digital VIP - for those with HD box, automatically get 42 HD + channels free. SD TSN included.  TSN HD and TSN 2 HD NOT included. Must require $10 specialty pack. All specialty packs including TSN HD and/or TSN 2 HD costs $10. No way out of that if one needs TSN HD channels. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

You will lose it!! I also have the HD VIP pack without the specialty pack and NO.. you dont get the tsn HD, just the regular tsn SD. The rep I spoke to said the packs you see online and packages are NOT the same as what they see on their screens as their prices are different too. So the fact you see tsn HD in the HD VIP Pack online DOES NOT EXIST in reality unless you buy the specialty pack for 10 bucks. It's a rip-off because other than TSN HD and TSN 2 HD in the specialty pack, ALL the other channels are already included in the HD VIP pack. Basically you are paying 10 bucks for 2 channels!! 

I guess I must stand corrected, but was going by what Rogers has posted on their Website. However, this raises another issue. Why is Rogers advertising TSN HD with the HD VIP package if in fact it is not available? You are correct pac_west227 - it is false advertising on the part of Rogers. Rogers is already facing one lawsuit for false advertising. How often do they have to deceive consumers in order to get them to sign on?

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/03498.html

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The only difference between the regular VIP package and the HD VIP package is the addition of the HD Specialty pack. The HD Spec pack provides the following in HD:

• HD A&E
  • HD ABC Seattle
  • HD CBS Seattle
  • HD PBSW (ON only)
  • HD Discovery World
  • HD Fox Seattle
  • HD NBC Seattle
  • HD PBS Seattle
  • HD TSN
  • HD TSN2
  • HD WGN Chicago
  • HD WSBK
  • OUTtv HD (Excluding Ottawa)

As such, if you want any of these channels and you are on VIP, you have 2 options - 1 / Add the HD specialty pack or 2 - Upgrade to HD VIP. Both of these transactions ultimately does the exact same thing, both in terms of channels and price.

Although I am a Rogers employee, comments expressed are my own and do not represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. I am not speaking on behalf of the company.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

pac_west227, this rep would have adivsed you incorrectly, and obviously didn' t notice there is a price difference between the 2 packages. Price for reg vip = 71.69, price for HD VIP = 81.74. The price difference is 10.05 (which is 9.95 for the HD Spec pack, plus the CRTC LPIF charge)

View solution in original post