HDPVR Audio Problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

HDPVR Audio Problems

I changed my HDPVR this morning...again.

What I am experiencing is this sporadic audio buzz,glitch (sometimes the audio cuts out for a couple of seconds). The video sometimes slightly glitches and pixelizes as well.

It only seems to be with HD channels. I had a 8642 (twice) and now have an older 8300. They all do the same.

I starting thinking it was the cable itself (a direct line from the Rogers outside box) but i proved this not to be the problem by temporarily connecting my HD Box (not PVR that I normally have in the bedroom) and it works perfectly fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks 

***Edited labels***

Retired Moderator Rogers_Kate
Retired Moderator

Re: HDPVR Audio Problems

Hi wee-haggis,

I've sent you a PM to help investigate these issues further.

Thanks,

Rogers_Kate

I'm Here A Lot

I believe I am having this same issue. The sound on my HDPVR regularly cuts out for 2-3 seconds. It does not happen on my other TV with a regular digital cable box. Also, when I rewind and replay, the sound does not cut out.

Can you please share the solution or PM it to me too? Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It CAN and CAN NOT be a signal problem sometimes Cosmo

If your HDPVR is the 8642, it could be a signal problem.  The newer boxes, are alot more sensitive to signal issues, compared to any of the olders boxes or the SD boxes... so you would likely notice it more on it, than the others.

My first recomendation would be to get a tech out.  They can check the signal quality from the street, and inside the house to each box, to make sure that everything is OK.

This will not cost you anything (unless you have put in your own splitters, etc that could be effecting quality, etc)

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the feedback. There are no splitters other than the one Rogers installed where the cable comes into the house, so maybe a tech call is in order.

Sorry, I should have specified that it's a Motorola DCT6416 III. Not sure if that's considered old or bew, but I have had it for a couple of years, so it's older in my view anyway.

Thanks again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cosmo wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. There are no splitters other than the one Rogers installed where the cable comes into the house, so maybe a tech call is in order.

Sorry, I should have specified that it's a Motorola DCT6416 III. Not sure if that's considered old or bew, but I have had it for a couple of years, so it's older in my view anyway.

Thanks again.

Oh so its your own 3rd party one?  As far as i know, rogers has only given out the Scientific Atlantda or Cisco ones..

Other than checking signal strength, the tech may not be able to do much for you if its your own 3rd party one.. as they 'cant guarantee it will work properly with the network'

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

He must live in Atlantic Canada, they do not use Scientific Atlantic, they use Motorola equiptment.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really? i did not know that Smiley Happy

And now i know! (and knowing is half the battle).

Still in the end, i would say, worth a tech out.. at min, just to iliminate that out of the equation.

I'm Here A Lot

I also have a problem with the Explorer8300 PVR on my new LED TV.  My older one was a rear-projection one and we never had the problems we are now with the LED>  Seems when I flip back & forth between HDTV and standard TV channels, the sound goes *poof*.  I have to turn off the TV and then the sound returns.

The tech who installed the TV said it is a known signal strength problem from Rogers, but I don't know for sure as mu upstairs HDTV with an Explorer 4642 does not have these issues at all.

HELP!  This is getting very frustrating with the TV vendor telling me that it's Rogers fault and Rogers telling me that they don't have these issues.

Any advice appreciated.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That it cuts out like that.. does not seem like a signal audio problem.. more something else.
Weither the TV or the box.. is the question.

On the 8300, it switches between 480 and 1080 outputs, when switching between SD and HD channels.

Now on your 4642, does it have the NEW guide?  On it, its always outputing at 1080, no switch.

So to me, it likely seems, that when its switching modes.. either between the box or the TV, one or the other is not picking it up properly.
Not to say its a TV problem per say.. its the way the two just dont talk properly to each other maybe. (different TV, etc might be different).

You havent said.. but how are you connecting them.. HDMI?
Have you tried to change the box output, to fixed (if its currently on variable).