HDPVR 8642 Erased

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

HDPVR 8642 Erased

Late last week Rogers pumped out a software update to the 8642 PVR software. After receiving the update, the next day I noticed that my entire PVR settings were erased along with ALL recorded programs.

This is completely unacceptable.

This has been the second time this has happened. A few months back, there was a software update and the same thing happened. I actually blamed my wife for erasing stuff and she was certain that she hadn't. Now it all makes sense!

We have been so disappointed with the TV service. Their other services we have not had an issue with but their TV service is horrid. The hardware is horrid. The software (especially this new one) is absolute junk. My 5 year old can write a better program than this. It constantly freezes, shows get deleted, constantly shuts down and updates in the evening to perform updates while I am watching TV, the software is painfully slow and sometimes completely unresponsive....the list goes on. 

I could understand if this software was in Beta testing and customers have agreed to test it...but this a a released product! And it performs like it is in a testing phase!

Rogers knows this, apologizes, and will not do anything about it except...take our money each month. We are so fed up. This has got to be a break of contract on their part no?

***Edited labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HDPVR 8642 Erased

Yeah I totally agree with you, actually with any company if they are not providing the service at a 100% to the customers satisfaction and they arent coming through as to what they have promissed then you the customer can cancel your contract with no penalties whatsoever, I know this from past experience with a different provider. It just is not right that we don't get the service that is supposed to be provided to us and we still have to cough up the huge amount, cause if you don't they send it to collections or they disconnect your service.

Why are their updates and upgrades so horrible that they delete everything and it just reverts to an even worse service then previously with the old firmwares? should it not be the opposite?? after an upgrade or update it should be better??? at least thats what you would think.

The more I read these posts on here about Rogers, the more it makes me wanna leave Rogers..and I am sure I am not the only one feeling this way...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i agree.. there are problems with the new guide which need to be addressed... the erasing all, which has been reported by a number of people, is NOT company wide... not everyones got wiped, i have been through every update since it game out, and havent lost a thing... YET.

That being said.. it SHOULDNT happen.

Unfortunately in these cases.. other than leaving the company, there is not much you can do.. what is recorded on the pvr, the content is still owned by rogers, etc (even on a PVR you full out own), so if it gets errased, you cant go after them for a loss, etc.. 😞

This is something that is across all the companies as well.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Unfortunately in these cases.. other than leaving the company, there is not much you can do.. what is recorded on the pvr, the content is still owned by rogers, etc (even on a PVR you full out own), so if it gets errased, you cant go after them for a loss, etc.. 😞

This is something that is across all the companies as well. 

While I agree that Rogers does own the recordings that are on the PVR, the bottom line is that customers have paid for a service and when Rogers causes your programs to be erased, you are not getting the service that you paid for. As with any other company that does not provide me with proper service, you can complain. While the recordings will never be recovered, Rogers will grant a credit on your account. This happened to us a couple of years ago with the infamous update on the 8300 PVRs. We lost close to 200 recorded shows. Rogers compensated us with  a credit on our account. We have also received a credit on our account in the past week because of the havoc being created by the latest firmware update. Of course, I would rather have the recordings back, but at least you can go after them for something!

Leaving Rogers for the competition is also an option pointed out by other posters. Voting with your dollars is often the only option that a consumer has and the only thing ultimately that a business might understand. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree it's worth people calling to see if they can get compensation.

I was only bringing up the other point, as there was 1-2 people on here a while back threatening legal action due to loss of property or something like that, over the recordings.

Didn't mean they shouldn't pursue complaining, etc 🙂

I've Been Here Awhile

I have experience the same issue twice in last 2 months. Rogers tech support was not at all helpful. In various calls, response  ranged from "you are the only one reporting this issue, you must have done something wrong", "Signal issue", to "problem with PVR" etc etc. SInce then they tech support has checked the signal and didn't find any issue, changed my PVR box and didn't help.

I think that only effective way to show our protest is to move to another provider.

I've Been Here Awhile

I just came back home and found out that everything om my PVR HD 8642 was erased together with scheduled recordings. I'm really pissed at Rogers. Lost few good shows and have to set up everything again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wish we could nail down, exactly what is causing this.

Its NOT global.. not EVERYONE with the box is experiencing it.  But some are. 

Is it a hardware version difference? Only effect ones with certain size hard drives? ones with/without a extender?
The OS/FIrmware, should be the same.. we get the same updates, etc.

THis may be the issue rogers is having with FIXING this.. if its global.. its easier to track down what is causing it.. if its only some.. a much narrower field of data to try and find the bug.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Had the same prob last week i called and bitched  and threatened to go to bell which i would have  but after two days i got 250.00 deducted from my account balance and 400 gigs for november...if it happens again i'll be getting a free ipad i swear totally unacceptable.  but you must complain or when it happens again they will do nothing but say sorry ...which i iniatlly thought was a joke ...