HDMI problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

HDMI problems

Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me out with this strange problem that i do not understand.

I passed two Cat5e wires in my wall that are plugged into an HDMI Receiver and transmitter.

When I plug my Ps3 - The images shows up on my TV = Wire is ok

When I plug my 8642HD - I get no image.

When I plug my 8642HD into my tv directly it works fine. = Terminal is ok

So my question is this: Why is my image ok with my PS3 but with my 8642HD i get no image.

Thank You,

Mike

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: HDMI problems

Might need a little more info.

What is the HDMI receiver specificaly? (brand, model, etc)

You mention Cat5e.. are you doing HDMI over cat5e?

I've Been Here Awhile

You mention Cat5e.. are you doing HDMI over cat5e? -> That is correct! 

HDMI converted to two Cat5e and then converted back to HDMI

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmmm.

While i know it is possible.. and have used it before (in a workplace setting with some displays for adds/schedules, etc).. i am wondering IF it would work, with the rogers boxes..

The rogers boxes, use a form of HDCP (copy protection).. and will not work when throughputted through many types of other devices.. when into a DVD recorder, etc... and also i have even seen them not work, with some basic HDMI switch boxes.. as they dont support HDCP passthrough.

I am wondering, if this may be the case here... that for some reason its hitting a block with the Cat5e converter and the HDCP

I've Been Here Awhile

Like i said, when i plug my ps3 through the Cat5e i get a perfect image and sound. However with the 8642HD i receive no image. 

So maybe like you said the CAt5e converter is acting like a block. 

I believe there is no way to bypass that hdcp ( copy protection)??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As far as i know.. the PS3 doesnt output HDCP.. so that is why it would work.
(I have seen some recording devices which allow ps3/xbox through the HDMI.. these wouldnt work if they had HDCP).

ONLY possible way.. MAYBE is with something like this.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Sat_parts&product...

Its a component, to HDMI converter.  I use one from my xbox360 first gen, which has no HDMI, to output HDMI to my projector.  It outputs 1080p fine.
Component, doesnt carry HDCP as far as i know (as the FEW HD tv recorder cards for PC, all do it via component).. so that SHOULD work... IF the HDCP is the issue.

But then you are converting it, AGAIN..

Why using HDMI over cat5e? What disatance are we looking at?  Greater than 25 feet?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

There can be another reason as to why this doesn't work.   HDMI cables have 20 wires inside of them, 19 of which are actively used for audio and video purposes as well as the return lan that was added in HDMI 1.4a.   2 CAT5E cables will only provide 16 wires in total.   Having said this, I'm not sure how many you actually need to make this work but I would hazard a guess that not all the needed ones are active in your setup.   also, over long distances, say over 50 feet or so, the signals need to be boosted or you may have a problem.

There are products on the market that make this work where you use ethernet cabling and an active powered adapter on both ends to re-create the entire signal with all signals available at both ends.   Companies such as GEFEN, LUMAGEN and others make products that make this work and allow you to extend the HDMI transmission to longer lengths.   I know these work as I've seen it done before.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have had them working, at my previous job.  It does work fine over one cat5 cable, normaly, must combine some signals, etc the recode them back on the other end.
With this though, both of the converters on each end, were powered, so likely a boster of some form.