HD channels New Brunswick

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

HD channels New Brunswick

I am a Rogers customer in New Brunswick, a customer for many years. VIP + TMN package, plus HD Specialty pack.   I grow more frustrated by the day due to the lack of channels available in HD.   For a long time I just internalized my frustration.  Then a while ago I discovered that Rogers customers in other cities/provinces have many, MANY more HD options.   Not just 5 or 10 channels.. I'm talking about 50+ more options than New Brunswick.

So I called Rogers to ask about this. The answer I received is that I, too, have access to all these HD channels. She tells me that New Brunswick has all the channels in HD that I was specifically asking about.  I assured the lady that I do NOT have the channels in HD.   I asked if this is because my HD PVR is a slightly older model, she said no, that would not be the issue. I definitely know the difference between HD and SD channels.  Like many people, I own a larger screen TV, and the SD channels just look awful after getting accustomed to HD channels.

The channels I referenced not having in HD (and was told that I do have in HD), include OutTV, Slice, M3, MTV, Teletoon, Disney Junior, Comedy Network, OLN, Spike, and more.  I am sure you see where I am coming from.  I only have these channels in SD, meanwhile other Rogers customers (who probably pay the same amount as me) have HD versions.   Not to mention all the timeshifting channels. I get my local CBC, CTV, Global in HD (thankfully), but my timeshifting versions (from Toronto, Vancouver, etc) are only SD.   I've done the research on Rogers website to see that Ontario customers get their timeshifting in HD.  (This is also where I counted that Ontario gets 50+ more HD options that my area).

I've almost thrown in the towel many times and switched to Bell or Shaw satellite or Fibre.  The only thing stopping me is that switching is such a hassle.  But if there's no "light at the end of the tunnel" for this Rogers HD channel situation in New Brunswick, I will likely find the motivation to switch. 

To sum up this long post..  Can someone please explain why Ontario has dozens and dozens more HD channels than other Canadian customers?    

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: HD channels New Brunswick

Hi 

I'm a Senior Advisor

An HD PVR ought to get all the available HD channels regardless of age or model. Perhaps you need an extra cost HD package to give you all the HD channels, not just some of them. Talk to your New Brunswick Rogers rep to see.

I have VIP in Ontario and get all my channels in HD except PBS, BBC Canada and some timeshift channels. Here in Ontario Hamilton Mountain subscribers also get fewer HD and other channels because the system is in transition from Shaw to Rogers.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

To also make add to the assistance from @OLDYELLR and @RogersAdam

I have few questions for you @colin74

What Model number is that Old HD PVR? (Just to make sure there isn't any things missed)
Channels that you are trying to watch in HD, are you accessing the HD channel number? (I know if you access channel is SD and HD box is being used it displays the HD channel instead, but I don't know if this applies to NB as I am in Ontario).

I also want to know the model number of the Box is because Older boxes you had to change the setting to make sure it is displaying correct feed.

On the newer HD PVR Under settings.
Settings > Appearance > TV Type:
4:3 SDTV | 16:9 SDTV | 720p HDTV | 1080i HDTV
These are the choices I have on my HD Nextbox. (I have 1080i HDTV selected)

Settings > Appearance > Video Output:

Normal | Stretch | Zoom 25% | Zoom 50%

These are the choices I have on my HD Nextbox. (I have Normal selected)
Can you tell me what your TV Type is on? As 16:9 could be the default set up for you, but not HD (as your picture isn't stretched but still lower quality if that is selected.)

Hope this helps and let's figure this out!

Edit: Added with more details / content

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

There is a lot of discussion on Digital Home Atlantic Canada regarding boxes and channels.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/44-rogers-cable-atlantic-canada/

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

First off.. thank you so much @RogersAdam , @ShakTiburon and @OLDYELLR for the replies.  I posted those comments not expecting to hear anything back, and I am thrilled to see replies.  Thank you! 

@RogersAdam , I truly believe this is province wide.  My mother is a Rogers customer (although not the VIP plan like myself), and she has the same HD channels and SD channels that I have.   I've also tested the "Display model" Rogers HD PVRs that have been set up at Future Shop (now Best Buy) over the years, and they too have the same channels in HD and SD that I do.  I should be clear and state I have not tested this outside of my own city, though.  But we are on opposite ends of the city.

As for troubleshooting, I don't really know what else to do.  As time moves forward... I noticed that slowly more channels appear in HD format.  Most recently DTOUR and H2 are now in HD.. and they were SD only all that long ago.   There aren't any announcements of this from Rogers, I just notice while channel surfing that channels quiety appear in HD.   I am grateful each time an HD channel appears.. I just wish it was the 10-15 channels I really want in HD.

It intrigues me that you say "The channels you mentioned are defintely offered in HD in New Brunswick."  I am hoping maybe someone just needs to 'flick a switch', so to speak.

@OLDYELLR , all the reading I have done online leads me to conclusion you mentioned: that regardless of age or model of the HD PVR, if the channel is broadcasting in HD in New Brunswick, I would be able to get it with my HD PVR.     And yes, I do pay extra for the HD Speciality Pack.  I forget exactly what channels come with that (I believe the Seattle time-shifting USA channels, and few others).. but yes I have it for sure. The handful of channels I mentioned in my first post are not part of that pack.      You mentioned you don't get PBS in HD. Oddly, I do. (it comes from Buffalo, NY).  My west coast PBS feed from Los Angeles does not come in HD, though.

@ShakTiburon , I have 2 HD PVRs.  One is currently in operation. For the other, Rogers technical support has a "ticket" open to get added to my file.  That's another frustration for another time (many phone calls, and still not resolved).  Anyhow, they are both Motorola. One is DCT6416III and the other is DCX3400-M.   In New Brunswick, Rogers doesn't give us all the fancy bells and whistles boxes that are available in Ontario  (I believe I have read that Cisco provides the boxes in Ontario).

I also have a very old (2002-2003, maybe) non-HD digitial box on a small bedroom television. But I won't reference that at all here, as I know HD channels will never work on that box.

Yes, here in NB we have the Auto HD now (I think that's what it's called).   The (previously) SD channels now automatically show the HD version, if HD is available.  But even before that, I was familiar with the channel list SD vs HD channels (i.e. channel 3 was CBC in SD and channel 514 was CBC in HD... but now they are both HD).

I looked through my settings after reading your message. I already had it set to 1080i HDTV for my video output.   I couldn't find a Appearance/TV Type option on my box, but I assume my box is different/older than yours.     But I have it set up so HD channels display nicely in 16:9 widescreen,  while SD channels have the sidebars... so they don't look stretched.  Many SD channels have sidebars AND top/bottom bars. Completely boxed in.  Looks awful, and grainy picture.

The reason I don't think my settings are off is because the HD channels I do have look fantastic.  And occaisonally new ones turn up, without my changing anything on my end.   But my main frustration (echoing my first post) is that SO many channels I like to watch exist in HD.. but I can't get them in HD (but @RogersAdam states they are offered to New Brunswick customers).

If you've stuck with me through this VERY long note, thank you very much for reading.  I am very excited to get to the bottom of this HD channels issue which has been ongoing for a long time.

Thank you

Colin

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@colin74 it looks like you've studied this thoroughly. I had been watching Austin City Limits on PBS WQLN Erie for years, which I get in SD. Thanks for mentioning PBS Buffalo, because I just found I get that in HD! Smiley LOL

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

"Many SD channels have sidebars AND top/bottom bars. Completely boxed in.  Looks awful, and grainy picture."

As an aside, this happens when the source broadcaster shows a program originally shot in 16.9 on an SD channel.  it gets picture framed to keep the original aspect ratio. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am not sure as to WHY.. but there are some variances between Atlantic canada and Ontario, etc in terms of what channels, etc.

Not sure even if it has changed... but i remember when Ontario got AMC HD...  probably a good year of constant complaints that atlantic canada, did not have it in HD as well.

I dont know if its a lisencing or legal thing or what.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I always knew Atlantic region being different than National plans/pricing.
Ontario doesn't have its region so it falls under "National", since rogers does mostly Atlantic and Ontario - it "Feels" like Ontario vs Atlanic.

I feel like it is licensing ... but I don't know. I'm just speculating.

and you're welcome @colin74 - trying to help as much as possible. I agree, if that is the case then your settings have nothing to do with it.