cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

ericandsylvie
I Plan to Stick Around

First post at this forum.

My 8300HD (or rather, Roger's 8300HD) has recently started doing something it never did before.  The hard drive will start spinning up and shutting down every five or ten minutes.  This happens when the unit is not in use (no one watching tv).  If I sit in my living room I can hear the drive turning on and off constantly.  As I said, it never happened before, and nothing has changed (except the Roger's menus) with the setup.  So far it does not seem to be affecting its use - it is working fine - but the noise is getting irritating.  I have been given the 'ok' to switch the box at a roger's store, but I don't want to bother if it isn't going to fix the problem.  Does this issue sound familiar to anyone?  Is it a sign that the hard drive is going?

thanks for reading,

***Edited labels***

169 REPLIES 169

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@tmunro wrote:

I noticed the same problem about 3 weeks ago but I also use an extender (1tb seagate provided by Rogers). I hear this sound when the box is on or off. Also when playing back items they will freeze and then continue playing multiple times during a half hour show. These freezing points are always accompanied by the hard drive spinning up and down. The sound seems to be coming from the extender itself. I've only had the 8300HD since August 4th and the extender came 2 weeks later. Like I said issue has only been around since mid to late Sept.

Yup - all problems caused by the September firmware update. If you decide to call tech support, do not let anyone there tell you it is anything different. Some of them are absolutely clueless. You might also refer them to the master ticket that has been created - PT00063763. And be sure to read this thread if you have not already done so.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392

park
I'm an Advisor

@rogkrap wrote:
Neither Rogers or Cisco seem able to check things very well. The track record speaks for itself.
An independent, knowledgeable and more competent QA team is needed.
Don't care where they come from, but neither Rogers or Cisco qualify on any of these three criteria !

Rogers 8642 download screwup (can't turn the PVR off, one must reboot to fix) tells me there is ZERO QA !

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rogkrap wrote:

@rogkrap wrote:
Neither Rogers or Cisco seem able to check things very well. The track record speaks for itself.
An independent, knowledgeable and more competent QA team is needed.
Don't care where they come from, but neither Rogers or Cisco qualify on any of these three criteria !

Rogers 8642 download screwup (can't turn the PVR off, one must reboot to fix) tells me there is ZERO QA !

Well, i wont argue, that their QA isnt GREAT... but its not zero.

I myself did have the download/update that this happened... but i did not have to reboot mine, it did turn off fine.

You can test on 100 machines, and have it work fine, so push it out.  Then you have the 101 machine fail.  Even on the same piece of hardware model, across X many machines, there is always bound to be some that will act differently.  (i get this doing mass installs of PCs at one time)

There are numerous issues that appeared after recent firmware upgrades. Do you need a comprehensive list, or can you just read through the posts? I found I have all of them and some that haven't been listed. I spent $1200 for my 2 HDPVR and they were working fine. Now that you 'upgraded' THE EQUIPMENT THAT I OWN, I cannot return them because they are not in warranty??? WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS??   It works well for you , doesn't it, as I would move to another company, if not for the sizeable investment I made in the equipment!

D_W
I've Been Here Awhile

I like to express my frustration with rogers in general 

Last night 6 minutes to the ending of a program the receiver seemed to do some sort of update and shut off. Causing me to miss the ending of a program. Why can't they wait to the top of the hour to put though an update. Whatever it was that they did last night didn't seem to fix the issue. So it is not just the fact they are reducing the life span of the receiver but also taking away the enjoyment of watching tv (which is the whole point of this service). Second time I missed the ending of a program from some mysterious update or whatever that shuts off the receiver and reboots it. So now I'm afraid to get deeply involved in watching a program late at night. They have forced this quick launch menu on me that changed the function of the guild button in the past. Then have changed how the record progam list works causing it to jump to the top of the list. The HDD takes forever to start up. This is the second time this HDD issue has happened. 

The problem seems to run deeper then a simple bad update ...maybe its just plain bad service. 

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

The rebooting issue may not be something pushed out by Rogers at all D_W. Other people are reporting it as a common problem and may be simply another side effect of this horrible update foisted upon us by Rogers. 

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392&page=25

At any rate, anyone who has an 8300 PVR should continue to bombard Rogers with phone calls. Even if you connect with another clueless tech who claims to not be aware of any of the issues, make sure to ask that a ticket be opened. Also, you can use the master ticket (PT00063763) as a reference for the clueless techs. 

What would actually make sense as a solution would be for Rogers to do a rollback to the previous SARA version which was working fine, but Rogers claims that this cannot be done. I would like to know why? Is it because it makes sense and would be the right thing to do? Oh sorry, this is Rogers we are talking about. Even their Nextbox and whole home PVR is a disaster!

Would also be nice to hear again from Rogers_Chris to see if there are any more updates to post!

@IHR wrote:

What would actually make sense as a solution would be for Rogers to do a rollback to the previous SARA version which was working fine, but Rogers claims that this cannot be done. I would like to know why? Is it because it makes sense and would be the right thing to do? Oh sorry, this is Rogers we are talking about. Even their Nextbox and whole home PVR is a disaster!

Only thing i could think of .. again wiether true or not.. i dont know, this is speculation..

If its just a software update, than sure, it should be able to be rolled back.

If its a firmware update.. it MAY not be possible.  Some firmware is roll backable/change able.  Some though, once written, can not be reverted.
I have run into this at work... quantum recomended upgrading our firmware to a new version to try fixing a problem with a tape drive we had.  Says right on the firmaware  install. this can not be reversed and is perminant.  We update it.. while the drive powered on and is viewable with the new firmware.. it was a brick othewise :P.. had to send it to quantum to get a replacement back 😛

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

The reason I suggested the rollback to the previous SARA version is because there are numerous posts both on this forum and on other forums from people who are so unhappy with the updates to the 8642 PVR that they have been given the option for a rollback. This is actually being done on a customer by customer basis. It is also interesting to note that people with the 8642 PVR are also extremely unhappy with Rogers and their ill advised updates. On the digital home page, there is in fact a 43-page thread on the 8642 PVR. You do not get a 43-page thread if there are no problems and everything is working fine. So Rogers has two PVR boxes and updates have messed up the viewing experience for both groups of users!

pdqweb
I Plan to Stick Around

I was told on the phone that an individual SA 8300 HD PVR cannot be rolled back - but the new ones can (8642?) go back to a previous firmware.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@pdqweb wrote:

I was told on the phone that an individual SA 8300 HD PVR cannot be rolled back - but the new ones can (8642?) go back to a previous firmware.

I guess that could be true, but on the other hand, you never know when you can believe what you are being told over the phone. I can certainly attest to being given the wrong inofrmation by Rogers in the past!

r_davey
I've Been Here Awhile

@D_W wrote:

I like to express my frustration with rogers in general ..........................

The problem seems to run deeper then a simple bad update ...maybe its just plain bad service. 

You aren't the only one that feels this way.    It really is too bad for Rogers that they messed up this update so badly just when Bell is rolling out there  FIBE 2.1 service in Toronto.  Fibe 2.1 now has the capability to record 3 HD programs at once and still have a 4th tuner available for an SD channel.   

Hey BELL  if you're watching   .... roll out Fibe service in Ottawa and I'll switch over in a heartbeat to get the extra tuners.    You already have Fiber internet service in my neighborhood so why not TV service over fiber.

Hey Rogers what's the idea in releasing Nextbox when it is already obsolete?

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor
Well the saga of the Sara firmware update for the 8300 PVR boxes continues. You would think that after a month, there might be some improvement. Instead, things are getting worse. The hard drive continues to spin up and down. The only solution right now is either leave your box on 24/7 or simply unplug it. While watching a recorded show, there continues to be pauses every few minutes while the box spins down. We can no longer even watch "live" TV without experiencing more pausing while the box spins down. About every 20 minutes, the picture totally freezes and the only fix is to change the channel and then change it back again, but hey it will be good for another 20 minutes until it freezes again!

Thank you Rogers for taking a fully functioning PVR and rendering it impotent. Thank you Rogers for ruining our TV viewing experience. Thank you Rogers for still having no clue as to when these issues will be fixed as I found out on my last call to tech support. I would consider switching to the newer 8642 PVR, but hey Rogers, you are having just as many problems with those ones too! People with those boxes are reporting loss of all recorded programs. Well we still have our programs, even if watching them is now a totally frustrating experience. So once again Rogers - THANK YOU!

Well, at least with the new ones.. only a SMALL group is reporting a loss of programs.

Compared to like EVERYONE with the 8300 reporting the spin up/down.

Brucemartin2010
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Well, at least with the new ones.. only a SMALL group is reporting a loss of programs.

Compared to like EVERYONE with the 8300 reporting the spin up/down.

You must be wrong. I've reported this problem with my SA8300 to three different Rogers reps, and each one has assured me that I'm the only customer experiencing this, and that the issue must be with my TVs.

/sarcasm

hahah 😛

you know what i mean 😛

ON here.. every 8300 user has complained/confirmed about the spinup, etc.

Vs only some of the 8642 users have had full wipes... while many of them have been perfectly fine.

---

This is something that i have notices.. there needs to be a better system of 'flaging' when there is a potential problem.

Ok.. 5+ even people call in about a topic.. still may be not a global issue... you get MORE though.. it should start combining those issues together, and marking it as a more GLOBAL issue.
Even if it cant be RECTIFIED imediately, that its marked as so as an isssue, and then reps can at least inform people that they know and are working on it.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Every customer who has their recordings wiped out is one too many. The bottom line is that Rogers is taking their sweet time in coming up with fixes for both boxes and doing an extremely poor job at keeping customers up-to-date! Their lack of a response is inexcusable!

jberard
I've Been Around

Hey, Rogers_Chris: how about an update?  This is getting ridiculous.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

He has no updates. I posted on Facebook today and this is what I got from Chris.

When we have more information we'll be sharing it. @Rogers_Chris

AND THIS!

Of course we've checked with Cisco and we have no updates to share at the moment. I'd tell you more but we don't have anything to tell! Sorry. @Rogers_Chris

Yes it is getting ridiculous, but Rogers is being no help at all! I wonder if they even care!

Brucemartin2010
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

This is something that i have notices.. there needs to be a better system of 'flaging' when there is a potential problem.

Ok.. 5+ even people call in about a topic.. still may be not a global issue... you get MORE though.. it should start combining those issues together, and marking it as a more GLOBAL issue.
Even if it cant be RECTIFIED imediately, that its marked as so as an isssue, and then reps can at least inform people that they know and are working on it.

Now THAT is a great suggestion!

Rogers reps should have a database where they can document problems reported by customers. That would help them determine the scope of a problem and maybe even troubleshoot it.

Are you listening, Rogers?

So............three weeks have gone by since we heard from a Rogers rep on here! Three weeks and no further updates at all. You have to wonder how much of a priority this is for Rogers or even if a fix is really being worked on. I attempted to contact Cisco directly on the issue and their response was to contact Rogers. So you attempt to contact Rogers but get absolutely nothing from them. Great line of communication with your customers. Meanwhile, we are still paying for a cable service that is not working properly!

LF1949
I Plan to Stick Around

Word is from a couple of other forums that Rogers has started pushing out another firmware version (1.93.15.1). Hopefully this fixes the issue.