cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

ericandsylvie
I Plan to Stick Around

First post at this forum.

My 8300HD (or rather, Roger's 8300HD) has recently started doing something it never did before.  The hard drive will start spinning up and shutting down every five or ten minutes.  This happens when the unit is not in use (no one watching tv).  If I sit in my living room I can hear the drive turning on and off constantly.  As I said, it never happened before, and nothing has changed (except the Roger's menus) with the setup.  So far it does not seem to be affecting its use - it is working fine - but the noise is getting irritating.  I have been given the 'ok' to switch the box at a roger's store, but I don't want to bother if it isn't going to fix the problem.  Does this issue sound familiar to anyone?  Is it a sign that the hard drive is going?

thanks for reading,

***Edited labels***

169 REPLIES 169

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

don_toronto
I've Been Here Awhile
Myself and two of my friends have this same problem on the 8300 since two weeks today, Rogers says I have to replace the box, they won't acknowledge that it's only been happening to us since the latest firmware update pushed two weeks ago. Arrg!

@don_toronto wrote:
Myself and two of my friends have this same problem on the 8300 since two weeks today, Rogers says I have to replace the box, they won't acknowledge that it's only been happening to us since the latest firmware update pushed two weeks ago. Arrg!

Probably not enough reports of it.

Thats one thing.. even if its not instantly fixed/resloved.. when people have issues like this, they should be calling in, so its logged.
The more tickets they have on the same issue, the more likely it is to become acknoledged as an across the board issue and looked at quicker.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, I agree, the problems need to be reported to Rogers. Here is a summary of the major issues reported from the link I previously posted:

1. HSUD (HDD spinning up and down) This HSUD causes issues on playback with pauses when the drive spins down. One workaround is to constantly record say an SD channel. (of course this may cause conflicts)

2. List goes to beginning rather than "staying" at selection after erasing a program.

3. When trying to record, the default position for "select" is to "change to this channel" rather than "Record". Workaround is to press record button instead of select or scroll to record selection.

4. There is missing information in the IPG - a few days out. If that is missing when you set the recording, then there may not be any "info" when you look at the recording in the list.

What is really frustrating is that the firmware update of 2 years ago created major issues. Rather than learn from their mistakes, Rogers is doing it all over again - 2 years later. 

josephus
I've Been Here Awhile

You woul think that someone on Rogers reads this forum right?

My 8300 has been spinning up and down like a jet engine for weeks now. It's a purchased one, so when it dies I'm out $500. Leaving it on is a fine solution, except that in its infinite wisdom Rogers powers down my box at night and that causes it to start spinning up and down again.Cat Sad

So now I have to record the Galaxie channel all night just to get some sleep.

The trouble with calling Rogers is that no one there knows anything about it. They tell you to reboot. Then they'll say it's your hard drive that's dying.

When my machine dies I'm calling Bell.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@josephus well with falling harddrive prices you should only be out $89... but with the lack of ide drive use it will be getting harder and harder to find one.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

I just got off the phone with Rogers. The tech at least seemed to be aware of the update. He took down all of my problems, issued a ticket number (C62187902) and sent it off to engineering. We should receive a phone call within 24 hours, for what it's worth!  With Rogers though, I have learned never to expect a solution.  Hopefully, everyone experiencing these issues will call Rogers. 

csbruce
I've Been Around

You can counteract the PVR shutting itself off every morning around 1:15am by setting the "Timer: Wake-Up" in "General Settings" to activate a couple minutes later.  It doesn't matter what channel you tune it to.  Selecting the Audio channels are only useful if you want to record them all day long to keep the drive busy, as they will consume less space.  My PVR used to also shut itself down sometime around 5:00am, but I think the latest firmware update got rid of that.

LF1949
I Plan to Stick Around

Since the firmware update my 8300HD is not shutting off but going into "screen saver" mode early in the morning (1:15?). I tried setting recording a Galaxy channel from 1:00am to 5:00am and the next morning when I checked it was still in SS mode and the drive was cycling. The next day I change the recording time to 1:00am to 6:00am and for the last couple of days when I check in the morning the drive is still powered on, not in SS mode and the drive is not cycling. So for now I've set a manual recording of channel 744 everyday that automatically deletes itself after a day.

ROGERS, PLEASE FIX THIS SCREWUP!!!!

L_F
I've Been Around

We just started experiencing all of these problems within the last couple of weeks.  The most frustrating issue is continual stalling when playing back recorded shows.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Any suggestions?

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

It is truly a frustrating experience. I wish I had a solution for you L_F. There are other discussions that you might look at though in the hopes of finding a solution.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27522299-PVR-Drive-Cycling

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392

There have also been postings on both Facebook and Twitter, but the reps there have said very little. The last comment I saw on Facebook is as follows: "We're looking into it. We have no further info to share." So they are at least aware of the issue, even if they are no help at all! Smiley Frustrated

What is really sad, is that Rogers is keeping people in the dark. There is a poor guy on another forum who thinks his 8300 PVR is broken because the drive is spinning up and down every 3-5 minutes. He wants to know how to replace the hard drive because he owns the box. Rogers, in their infinite dumbness, do not want to help people on this issue. Their comment on Facebook,  ("We're looking into it. We have no further info to share.") can be translated as follows: We have no idea why we screw*ed up again, so we are not going to tell anybody!

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156740

Lytefall
I Plan to Stick Around
I have been experiencing this for 2 weeks. Most noticeable is no guide info except for 1-2 days of the week (which seem to constantly be changing) and the HDD spinning up every few mins.

Rogers as usual was useless. Told me it must be my PVR and to replace it (12th one since 2006 btw..... so glad I rent it). Nice thing to be told in the middle of fall premieres with a handful of shows I won't be able to watch before the upcoming major premiere week. So either lose the shows I have or fill it up with even more programming I won't have time to get around to watching enough to erase the entire list.

Ugggh Rogers. I have had about enough.

And when I pointed out that their own community forum has a 10 page thread with 95 responses on the issue it was as if they didn't even want to listen to the fact they could be wrong!

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

What would be really nice is to hear something definitive from Rogers. There are customers posting on other forums (which I know are monitored by the social gurus from here and from Facebook) who think that their hard drives are broken and need to be replaced. Is Rogers going to allow people to go out and spend money to replace their hard drives, while the whole spinning up and down problem has been caused by this latest update? I would hope that Rogers is better than that!

Alejod79
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same problem with my PVR. I have it in my bedroom and wake me up several times at the night. I get my PVR "FREE" with a two yearscontract and have only 3 months. Should I try to change the box for a new one?

Good luck with this problem!!!

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Alejod79 wrote:

I have the same problem with my PVR. I have it in my bedroom and wake me up several times at the night. I get my PVR "FREE" with a two yearscontract and have only 3 months. Should I try to change the box for a new one?

Good luck with this problem!!!

You need to realize that your box is not spinning up and down because it is faulty. The spinning up and down along with a host of other problems is caused by the recent firmware update from Rogers. Exchanging the box may or may not help. Keep in mind though that the constant spinning up and down will shorten the life of your box. If you own your box, this is not good. If you rent the box (even a free rental), at least Rogers will be obligated to replace it. One solution to the spinning up and down (HSUD) is to leave it switched on 24/7. Hopefully, Rogers will issue a patch to fix these problems, though no one from Rogers has even seen fit to reply here!

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392&page=11

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392&page=14

kanatanewf
I've Been Here Awhile

From the comments in this thread am I to assume it is pointless to even bother contacting Rogers about this? I own both of my HD pvrs and have taken to unplugging the one in the bedroom at night because of the constant cycling up and down. I tried leaving it on but the auto-shutdown kicked in. I guess changing that would rectify the shutdown. And yes, it definitely started after Rogers pushed an upgrade a couple of weeks back.

I recall this happening about a year or so ago as well. Problem magically disappeared after a few weeks (after the next upgrade I imagine).

Not pleased to hear that this might shorten the life of the PVRs. Adds more fuel to my spouse's desire to ditch our expensive Rogers cable subscription. Maybe I SHOULD call and rant when time permits.

I would still call in and get them to issue a ticket. The more people they actually hear from, the better.

Lytefall
I Plan to Stick Around
I thought getting a ticket number started would do some good too. Hopefully it's doing something behind the scenes because the CSR I talked to (2nd one in 2 days) was still trying to make me exchange PVRs. I refused. They started a ticket and told me I would hear back within 48hrs. It's been more than that now and no phone call.

D_W
I've Been Here Awhile

This issue is also happening to me 

I would keep reporting this to Rogers and call every 2 to 3 days until they fix it, so to keep the pressure on. The more people call to report this will emphasize the need to fix this fast and not let it go on for months like it did last time. For me the update happened at ~4:45 in the morning causing me to miss the ending of a movie ...good timing Rogers thanks Smiley Frustrated

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

I have called them. My ticket number is C62187902. The problem is, when you speak to someone in level 1 support, they are, for the most part, clueless. Here are a few more ticket numbers you can give them though: C61795473, C61914992, C61801728, C62064926, C61984371, and C62141176. Then there is a master ticket number - PT00063763. Always ask to speak to their supervisor. You might then have at least a 50-50 chance of speaking to someone who knows what they are talking about!