cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

ericandsylvie
I Plan to Stick Around

First post at this forum.

My 8300HD (or rather, Roger's 8300HD) has recently started doing something it never did before.  The hard drive will start spinning up and shutting down every five or ten minutes.  This happens when the unit is not in use (no one watching tv).  If I sit in my living room I can hear the drive turning on and off constantly.  As I said, it never happened before, and nothing has changed (except the Roger's menus) with the setup.  So far it does not seem to be affecting its use - it is working fine - but the noise is getting irritating.  I have been given the 'ok' to switch the box at a roger's store, but I don't want to bother if it isn't going to fix the problem.  Does this issue sound familiar to anyone?  Is it a sign that the hard drive is going?

thanks for reading,

***Edited labels***

169 REPLIES 169

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

tyyhh
I've Been Here Awhile

My hard drive stopped the spinning up after day lights savings time kicked in.

Problem has been resolved on my end.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
A new firmware has been pushed out to resolve the issue.. Some have it already some do not..

LikeBrews
I Plan to Stick Around

@Chris wrote:
A new firmware has been pushed out to resolve the issue.. Some have it already some do not..

If what you say is true Chris, that's great. I'm looking forward to a full night's sleep! How do you tell if you have the new firmware?

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Drive stops spinning 😉

There is a way to check the firmware version you have. If you check out Digital Home Canada forums there is instructions on how to get to that information. I believe they also have information as to the version of the software that is to have the hdd spinning fix.

Speedy1701
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi.

I just purchased a 8642 PVR last weekend (July 30, 2011) and I am also experiencing the HD cycling issue.

The SARA firmware version of my box is 1.92.16.2 (09/01/2010).

I was wondering if I can download a firmware upgrade, or when the next Rogers firmware push may be?

I called Rogers on Sunday (yesterda)y to see if I can get a firmware update directly:

1. The first analyst I spoke with, without any analysis effort whatsoever,  quickly recommended I exchange the box. That's like saying if I have a problem with my car's headlight, I should go and get another car.
2. Her Supervisor said that the HD is meant to spin like that 24x7.
He also questioned where I heard of these issues and firmware updates ... apparently he's never heard of Roger's own forums.
3. His Supervisor at least admitted there was a problem with the 8300HD, but never heard of it occurring on a 8642.

In any case, as of August 8 2011:
1. Is 1.92.16.101 still the latest firmware version for the 8642HD?
2. Any ideas when the next firmware push is, or if I can get teh firmware directly from Cisco?

Speedy1701

Any update on the HSUD issue with the 9642HD?

I hope by now Rogers at least *admit* that there is a known HSUD issue with the 8642HD.

Hopefully the coming upgrade for the Quickstart Guide will also fix the HSUD issue ...

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Issue is still occurring for me...

Jason2011
I Plan to Stick Around

The issue is still occurring over here as well.

Will Rogers ever fix this?

I guess there's as much chance of fixing this as we have getting visual caller id , updated remote manager, etc.. etc.. sigh. Rogers.

Speedy1701

According to another forum site, the 8642HD will have both the Quickstart function enabled by the end of the year. As Caller ID and Remote Manager are linked to Quickstart, this should be available around then too. I'm hoping they address the HSUD as well.

lucretrius3
I Plan to Stick Around

I've replaced my purchased 8300HD 4 times.  However, I do pay the monthly extended warranty fee.  I'm not sure if things at Rogers have changed since my last exchange but the best way to do an exchange is through the store and getting a brand new box.  Never take one from a technician who comes to your house; this is refurbished or not-so-refurbished junk and likely will not resolve your issues.  If your purchased box is out of warranty, I guess you are at Rogers mercy. 

HI All:

I rented a 8642HD from Rogers yesterday and hooked it up to the HD flat screen in my bedroom.  I learned the hard (and sleepless) way about the spin-up problem.  Needless to say, I pulled the plug on the PVR so that I could get some sleep.

Is there any news on a fix to this problem?

Speedy1701

Supposedly yhr next firmware update should fix the HSUD issue ...

In the meantime, instead of unplugging the PVR, you can leave it on at night to a music channel, i.e. the Galaxie channel in 700's. Just turn the TV  off.

The PVR does not buffer music channels, so the HD is not accessed as much, minimizing (though not eliminating) HSUD.

In the morning, remember to turn the PVR back on, as it auto shuts off at night ... you can also set a wake up timer on the PVR, though it's not working that well for me.

@Ieuan_ab_Arthur wrote:

HI All:

I rented a 8642HD from Rogers yesterday and hooked it up to the HD flat screen in my bedroom.  I learned the hard (and sleepless) way about the spin-up problem.  Needless to say, I pulled the plug on the PVR so that I could get some sleep.

Is there any news on a fix to this problem?

8642HD -- Is there a fix? .....YET??

Speedy1701

No fix yet (and I;m not sure the new IPG that's coming will fix it either).

For now, the workaround posted above should suffice ... that plus earplugs when sleeping!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I have lived to hear the spinning. It does get annoying tho. I do what the others have said. I just put it on the Galaxy music channels & just turn off the TV.

Kevinbroten
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a very new revision of the 8642HD. Mine appears to have noise dampening rubber isolators on the HDD, and uses a ultra quiet drive. I can't even hear the HDD's spin up cycles. EVER!

Now to just get the my Desktop PC's to sound as quiet. and to get the firmware finally pushed.

I am also having this problem with the 8300 model.  It worked great for about 1 year and now the drive keeps spinning up every 10min or so.  It is quite loud and I often find myself unplugging the box.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be great.  My box is no longer under warrenty so I am not sure I can exchange it.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@sabrina13 wrote:

I am also having this problem with the 8300 model.  It worked great for about 1 year and now the drive keeps spinning up every 10min or so.  It is quite loud and I often find myself unplugging the box.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be great.  My box is no longer under warrenty so I am not sure I can exchange it.

You may want to check what SARA version you have. Rogers has been updating the 8300 boxes again without properly testing and without any regard for the havoc it is wreaking upon customers. You would think that after the fiasco of a couple of years ago that Rogers would learn something, but apparently not. Have a look at this!

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Totally noticed this happening again.. I would maybe just always leave the pvr on.. 

Speedy1701

This is a known problem (to Rogers Customers anyways ... Rogers Support is another matter ...)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392

They managed to fixed this fir the 8300, then the 8642, and now it broke again for the 8300.

Should us 8642 owners be worried?

Speedy1701

Oh, also, the "workaround" was to leave the PVR on to a music (e.g. Galaxy) channel when not viewing TV ... these channels do no cause as much HD buffering, so you shouldn't notice the HSUD as much.