HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

You can counteract the PVR shutting itself off every morning around 1:15am by setting the "Timer: Wake-Up" in "General Settings" to activate a couple minutes later.  It doesn't matter what channel you tune it to.  Selecting the Audio channels are only useful if you want to record them all day long to keep the drive busy, as they will consume less space.  My PVR used to also shut itself down sometime around 5:00am, but I think the latest firmware update got rid of that.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Since the firmware update my 8300HD is not shutting off but going into "screen saver" mode early in the morning (1:15?). I tried setting recording a Galaxy channel from 1:00am to 5:00am and the next morning when I checked it was still in SS mode and the drive was cycling. The next day I change the recording time to 1:00am to 6:00am and for the last couple of days when I check in the morning the drive is still powered on, not in SS mode and the drive is not cycling. So for now I've set a manual recording of channel 744 everyday that automatically deletes itself after a day.

ROGERS, PLEASE FIX THIS SCREWUP!!!!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

We just started experiencing all of these problems within the last couple of weeks.  The most frustrating issue is continual stalling when playing back recorded shows.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Any suggestions?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

It is truly a frustrating experience. I wish I had a solution for you L_F. There are other discussions that you might look at though in the hopes of finding a solution.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27522299-PVR-Drive-Cycling

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392

There have also been postings on both Facebook and Twitter, but the reps there have said very little. The last comment I saw on Facebook is as follows: "We're looking into it. We have no further info to share." So they are at least aware of the issue, even if they are no help at all! Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

What is really sad, is that Rogers is keeping people in the dark. There is a poor guy on another forum who thinks his 8300 PVR is broken because the drive is spinning up and down every 3-5 minutes. He wants to know how to replace the hard drive because he owns the box. Rogers, in their infinite dumbness, do not want to help people on this issue. Their comment on Facebook,  ("We're looking into it. We have no further info to share.") can be translated as follows: We have no idea why we screw*ed up again, so we are not going to tell anybody!

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156740

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been experiencing this for 2 weeks. Most noticeable is no guide info except for 1-2 days of the week (which seem to constantly be changing) and the HDD spinning up every few mins.

Rogers as usual was useless. Told me it must be my PVR and to replace it (12th one since 2006 btw..... so glad I rent it). Nice thing to be told in the middle of fall premieres with a handful of shows I won't be able to watch before the upcoming major premiere week. So either lose the shows I have or fill it up with even more programming I won't have time to get around to watching enough to erase the entire list.

Ugggh Rogers. I have had about enough.

And when I pointed out that their own community forum has a 10 page thread with 95 responses on the issue it was as if they didn't even want to listen to the fact they could be wrong!
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

What would be really nice is to hear something definitive from Rogers. There are customers posting on other forums (which I know are monitored by the social gurus from here and from Facebook) who think that their hard drives are broken and need to be replaced. Is Rogers going to allow people to go out and spend money to replace their hard drives, while the whole spinning up and down problem has been caused by this latest update? I would hope that Rogers is better than that!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same problem with my PVR. I have it in my bedroom and wake me up several times at the night. I get my PVR "FREE" with a two yearscontract and have only 3 months. Should I try to change the box for a new one?

Good luck with this problem!!!

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Alejod79 wrote:

I have the same problem with my PVR. I have it in my bedroom and wake me up several times at the night. I get my PVR "FREE" with a two yearscontract and have only 3 months. Should I try to change the box for a new one?

Good luck with this problem!!!

You need to realize that your box is not spinning up and down because it is faulty. The spinning up and down along with a host of other problems is caused by the recent firmware update from Rogers. Exchanging the box may or may not help. Keep in mind though that the constant spinning up and down will shorten the life of your box. If you own your box, this is not good. If you rent the box (even a free rental), at least Rogers will be obligated to replace it. One solution to the spinning up and down (HSUD) is to leave it switched on 24/7. Hopefully, Rogers will issue a patch to fix these problems, though no one from Rogers has even seen fit to reply here!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392&page=11

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392&page=14