HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

The issue is still occurring over here as well.

Will Rogers ever fix this?

I guess there's as much chance of fixing this as we have getting visual caller id , updated remote manager, etc.. etc.. sigh. Rogers.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

According to another forum site, the 8642HD will have both the Quickstart function enabled by the end of the year. As Caller ID and Remote Manager are linked to Quickstart, this should be available around then too. I'm hoping they address the HSUD as well.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've replaced my purchased 8300HD 4 times.  However, I do pay the monthly extended warranty fee.  I'm not sure if things at Rogers have changed since my last exchange but the best way to do an exchange is through the store and getting a brand new box.  Never take one from a technician who comes to your house; this is refurbished or not-so-refurbished junk and likely will not resolve your issues.  If your purchased box is out of warranty, I guess you are at Rogers mercy. 

I've Been Here Awhile

HI All:

I rented a 8642HD from Rogers yesterday and hooked it up to the HD flat screen in my bedroom.  I learned the hard (and sleepless) way about the spin-up problem.  Needless to say, I pulled the plug on the PVR so that I could get some sleep.

Is there any news on a fix to this problem?

Supposedly yhr next firmware update should fix the HSUD issue ...

In the meantime, instead of unplugging the PVR, you can leave it on at night to a music channel, i.e. the Galaxie channel in 700's. Just turn the TV  off.

The PVR does not buffer music channels, so the HD is not accessed as much, minimizing (though not eliminating) HSUD.

In the morning, remember to turn the PVR back on, as it auto shuts off at night ... you can also set a wake up timer on the PVR, though it's not working that well for me.

I've Been Around

@Ieuan_ab_Arthur wrote:

HI All:

I rented a 8642HD from Rogers yesterday and hooked it up to the HD flat screen in my bedroom.  I learned the hard (and sleepless) way about the spin-up problem.  Needless to say, I pulled the plug on the PVR so that I could get some sleep.

Is there any news on a fix to this problem?

8642HD -- Is there a fix? .....YET??

No fix yet (and I;m not sure the new IPG that's coming will fix it either).

For now, the workaround posted above should suffice ... that plus earplugs when sleeping!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

I have lived to hear the spinning. It does get annoying tho. I do what the others have said. I just put it on the Galaxy music channels & just turn off the TV.
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a very new revision of the 8642HD. Mine appears to have noise dampening rubber isolators on the HDD, and uses a ultra quiet drive. I can't even hear the HDD's spin up cycles. EVER!

Now to just get the my Desktop PC's to sound as quiet. and to get the firmware finally pushed.

I've Been Around

I am also having this problem with the 8300 model.  It worked great for about 1 year and now the drive keeps spinning up every 10min or so.  It is quite loud and I often find myself unplugging the box.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be great.  My box is no longer under warrenty so I am not sure I can exchange it.