HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Hi Chris,

While the 8642 has a 2 year warranty, it's not clear to me whether if you've bought the unit whether you can bring it in to a Rogers store if there is a problem or whether you have to send it somewhere for a repair at your expense.   I've heard conflicting information.  Of course the fact that you could bring your brand new unit into a Rogers store and have it replaced by a refurb isn't overly appealing to me nonetheless, but I guess it's better than nothing.   Maybe someone at Rogers can confirm.   In any event, after the standard warranty expires on the unit, I'm positive  that you're out of luck if you run into trouble.  This hard disk issue is indeed reducing the life of the unit, and if the unit fails at 2 years and 5 days and it's the hard disk as fault, it would be nice to know that Rogers would extend the warranty because of the problem.  Even though the net is a buzz with this same discussion all over the place, Rogers stays hush about the topic.  I agree that Rogers should be providing more info (which they never do), and I also would be very pleased to take part in a lawsuit!

I'm a Senior Advisor

I know some people that have purchased their pvr's (8300HD) and have exchanged them out of warentee at a rogers store due to the HDD spinning issue specifically. Yes they got a refurb in exchange but atleat it's something... When my HDD died I just replaced it myself I didn't try to exchange so I can't say I have done it, but I know people who have.... All that said I don't think I'd buy a pvr again unless they were on sale for $100.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

As luck would have it, I had a problem with my remote this evening so I had an opportunity to test the theory.  I took the remote to the Rogers store, and they replaced it.  In theory, this should have been perfect, but it wasn't "quite" perfect. The new remote, even though sealed in a bag had dirt on the front of it, and had a scratched battery door.  I had been told in the past that when returns for remotes are processed, the remotes are recycled, and I had this vision of the plastic being recycled back into fresh, brand new remotes, but I think I can understand better now how this "recycling" is done -- just re-seal the returned remotes that don't look "that" bad and hand them out as warranty spares.  There are a a few minor issues that aren't "such" a big deal -- The original "new" remote that I got with the 8642 when I bought it a few months ago was obviously a slightly newer version -- it had an additional "D" button which the new remote doesn't have.  The original remote had letters around the numbers much like a telephone keypad, and the replacement remote doesn't have those either.  Neither of these "features" are used yet, but if they were on the other remote that came with my 8642, I'm sure Rogers has plans for the feaures.    I also noticed that the instructions for programming the remote were on the back on my original remote so that I didn't have to refer to the manual when I forget the "99X" code when I needed to reprogram (see I've already forgotten it)  but not on the new one... anyway, point is, yes, it's covered by the Rogers store... end result, my remote works now... which of course has nothing to do with PVRs constantly spinning up!

I've Been Here Awhile

My hard drive stopped the spinning up after day lights savings time kicked in.

Problem has been resolved on my end.

I'm a Senior Advisor

A new firmware has been pushed out to resolve the issue.. Some have it already some do not..
I Plan to Stick Around

@Chris wrote:
A new firmware has been pushed out to resolve the issue.. Some have it already some do not..

If what you say is true Chris, that's great. I'm looking forward to a full night's sleep! How do you tell if you have the new firmware?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Drive stops spinning Smiley Wink

There is a way to check the firmware version you have. If you check out Digital Home Canada forums there is instructions on how to get to that information. I believe they also have information as to the version of the software that is to have the hdd spinning fix.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi.

I just purchased a 8642 PVR last weekend (July 30, 2011) and I am also experiencing the HD cycling issue.

The SARA firmware version of my box is 1.92.16.2 (09/01/2010).

I was wondering if I can download a firmware upgrade, or when the next Rogers firmware push may be?

I called Rogers on Sunday (yesterda)y to see if I can get a firmware update directly:

1. The first analyst I spoke with, without any analysis effort whatsoever,  quickly recommended I exchange the box. That's like saying if I have a problem with my car's headlight, I should go and get another car.
2. Her Supervisor said that the HD is meant to spin like that 24x7.
He also questioned where I heard of these issues and firmware updates ... apparently he's never heard of Roger's own forums.
3. His Supervisor at least admitted there was a problem with the 8300HD, but never heard of it occurring on a 8642.

In any case, as of August 8 2011:
1. Is 1.92.16.101 still the latest firmware version for the 8642HD?
2. Any ideas when the next firmware push is, or if I can get teh firmware directly from Cisco?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Any update on the HSUD issue with the 9642HD?

I hope by now Rogers at least *admit* that there is a known HSUD issue with the 8642HD.

Hopefully the coming upgrade for the Quickstart Guide will also fix the HSUD issue ...

I'm a Senior Advisor

Issue is still occurring for me...