HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

@Jason2011 they have admitted to the issue and stated they are working with Cisco on a fix.

No ETA has been announced on when a fix will come.

This issue has occurred in the past and went away on it's own from time to time or firmware to firmware.. So I am hopeful it will be fixed.. Just no clue if it will be this year or next....

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Chris,

Actually, I've seen discussion about owning up to a problem with the 8300 series boxes, not the 8642s.  If they were really interested in solving the problem, it would be solved by now.  It really can't be that hard.  I'm in development myself - I'll fix it for them Smiley Happy  The problem is that in the meantime, those of us who have purchased our PVRs are having the life sucked out of the hard disk day by day as the hard disk is being cycled over and over and over again.  I'd like to see the problem rectified soon, and have Rogers actually extend the warranty on these units to REALLY show that they are owning up to the problem.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yeah being a developer as well I find it hard to believe it's taking this long to fix. Especially considering the possible cost this could be to rogers having to replace pvr's when the drives start to fail.. But I can also understand that since the last firmware was such a failure that they would likely and hopefully be testing the heck out of any fixes...
I've Been Around

I thought I would add my 2 cents to the discussion just so Rogers realizes that many more people are affected by this than just the ones so far posting on the board.

My HD is also spinng up every few minutes and it's starting to get very annoying.

I would encourage the Rogers staff to get this remedied soon!

I've Been Around

The drive on my PVR spins up about every 1-2 minutes - drives me nuts. I wonder how much phantom power these things are consuming? Has anyone measured this? (e.g. http://www.belkin.com/conserve/insight/)

I unplug the PVR every night before going to bed (sometimes it wakes me up if I don't). I'm going to replace it with a plain digital box without PVR and switch to using Windows Media Center to record programs.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Quick and dirty fix is to either do what you do and unplug it each night (or have it on a plug with a light switch) or to leave it on all night.
I Plan to Stick Around

Leaving the PVR on all night does not work. The unit will go into power saving mode around 1:00 am, shut down and the iHDD will start cycling again. The only way to keep it on is to have it record all night. If you have a SA 8300HD and it's a rental, you could exchange it for a Cisco 8642HD which has the same iHDD cycling issue but is much quieter. If you own the 8300HD, I've heard you can disconnect the power plug to the iHDD and after a couple of reboots, it will act like a regular HD STB. I have not tried this myself. FYI, the word from another forum is Rogers/Cisco have a fix for the iHDD cycling issue and hope to push it out soon. I made my monthly (I've been calling about this issue since Nov 2010) call to Rogers last week to check on their progress. This was the first time a level 1 CSR knew what I was talking about. He said they did not have a fix and added his PVR at home had the same problem. I'm hoping his info is not up to date and we see a fix in the next couple of weeks.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

This sounds like a really  pathetic algorithym by somebody that doesn't watch a PVR.

Possibly the PVR is out of solid state memory and has to wake up the HDD every minute or every few  to check if a PVR recording even about to start and then goes back to sleep.

ROFLMAO !!!

Try turning off all recordings scheduled and see if it RIPs.

I've Been Around

For those of you renting the PVR, this is probably only an inconvenience that will involve exchanging your PVR with Rogers when it fails. But for me, I own my 8300HD PVR (part of the Sony Bravia Package I bought a year or so ago), I don't exactly relish the idea of sitting around listening to it's hard drive self destruct and then having to either pay to get it repaired or buy a new one!!! Having checked all the conversations on this topic at various other forums it seems almost certainly that it commenced when the change to the PVR MENU was introduced. Surely Rogers (Cisco) is aware of this problem but when are they going to fix it? More specifically, why haven't they issued some kind of message confirming this problem and provide a date when it will be fixed???

I'm a Senior Advisor

As far as I know Rogers will swap/replace even boxes you have purchased.