cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

ericandsylvie
I Plan to Stick Around

First post at this forum.

My 8300HD (or rather, Roger's 8300HD) has recently started doing something it never did before.  The hard drive will start spinning up and shutting down every five or ten minutes.  This happens when the unit is not in use (no one watching tv).  If I sit in my living room I can hear the drive turning on and off constantly.  As I said, it never happened before, and nothing has changed (except the Roger's menus) with the setup.  So far it does not seem to be affecting its use - it is working fine - but the noise is getting irritating.  I have been given the 'ok' to switch the box at a roger's store, but I don't want to bother if it isn't going to fix the problem.  Does this issue sound familiar to anyone?  Is it a sign that the hard drive is going?

thanks for reading,

***Edited labels***

169 REPLIES 169

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Exactly. I have two PVR's. They BOTH spin constantly! Only because of the fact the one in the upstaire bedroom is behind glass, I probably would have went off the deep end and chucked it right in the garbage due to the noise they now make. Never made this kind of noise before this update! GO JAYS GO!

tyyhh
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same issue with my 8300. Spins up every 3 minutes.

Only starting happening after this update.

Please help.

LF1949
I Plan to Stick Around

If your PVR is a rental, you might want to keep up with the viewing of your recorded shows. It's only a matter of time and the internal HDD will fail and you will loose everything. Since it's a rental you can exchange it when it becomes flakey or fails. If your PVR is purchased, you need to try to reduce the amount of time that it is turned off and the iHDD is cycling. People have tried a number of things like unplugging it when you go to bed at night, setting wake-up timers, setting dummy recording etc.

You should contact Rogers tech support, but level 1 support likely won't understand the issue. If you talk to level 2 support be sure they understand you're worried about the frequent cycling of the hard drive shortening its life. They will likely tell you they are aware of the problem and Cisco is working on a fix. Since this issue was reported late October 2010, don't hold your breath.

Picked up two replacement PVR's from Rogers as a test as per my previous post. It will be interesting to see if my picture freezing stops and if the refurbished PVR's do not cycle constantly. Could only get refurbished models as they do not make the 8300's anymore. Will post again next week with an update.

Plugged in refurbished PVR upstairs. Waited for the reboot. Tuned to hi-def channel. Immediate freezing. So bad unwatchable. Took out PVR, replaced with my own. Back to just freezing occasionally. Put refurbished PVR back in. Rebooted. Same as before. While positioning PVR, picture went black. Moved around HDMI cable in back. Picture came back on. Went out and purchased new HDMI cable and ended up with the same problem. PVR unwatchable. Put my own back in. Watchable. Put refurbished PVR in living room to replace my own  that was giving me all kinds of freezing problems. Refurbished model works 100%! Conclusion so far is that I purchased two PVR's out of the box that were defective. ( Now along with the replacement PVR.) More to follow.

LikeBrews
I Plan to Stick Around

Our PVR, in the bedroom is doing the same thing for a couple of months now, not sure when it started. Driving us nuts at night. I see there is no solution yet. We are going to leave ours powered up so the darn thing won't spin up every five minutes. Lets go Rogers Tech and Cisco!! Thankfully ours is a rental for when the excessive hard drive starts kill the motor.

BJS
I've Been Around

I love the PVR and can't watch TV without it. I remember how I used to videotape everything for later viewing. At the time Iloved that too. What I don't love is this spin up problem. I have three PVRS. Only one experienced this so I returned it to Rogers and they replaced it with the newer Cisco model. I like the black colour and don't miss the Quickstart. But it also has the spin up issue. Funny how the other two PVRs do not. I tried swapping locations and confirmed that it is the PVR, not the cable connection. It brand new and has virtually nothing recorded so defragging is not going to help.

After all the comments here, I don't want to waste my time with Rogers. But I cross my fingers that this will resolve.

Jason2011
I Plan to Stick Around

I just wish someone from Rogers would publically aknowledge the problem that exists on BOTH 8300 and 8642 boxes, and explain to the community exactly what is being done to solve the problem, and when a resolution is expected.

I got an e-mail from this forum asking me to submit my information to rogers so that they could call me to discuss the problem.  I submitted the email, and NOTHING.. no call...  

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Jason2011 they have admitted to the issue and stated they are working with Cisco on a fix.

No ETA has been announced on when a fix will come.

This issue has occurred in the past and went away on it's own from time to time or firmware to firmware.. So I am hopeful it will be fixed.. Just no clue if it will be this year or next....

Jason2011
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Chris,

Actually, I've seen discussion about owning up to a problem with the 8300 series boxes, not the 8642s.  If they were really interested in solving the problem, it would be solved by now.  It really can't be that hard.  I'm in development myself - I'll fix it for them 🙂  The problem is that in the meantime, those of us who have purchased our PVRs are having the life sucked out of the hard disk day by day as the hard disk is being cycled over and over and over again.  I'd like to see the problem rectified soon, and have Rogers actually extend the warranty on these units to REALLY show that they are owning up to the problem.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Yeah being a developer as well I find it hard to believe it's taking this long to fix. Especially considering the possible cost this could be to rogers having to replace pvr's when the drives start to fail.. But I can also understand that since the last firmware was such a failure that they would likely and hopefully be testing the heck out of any fixes...

rap670
I've Been Around

I thought I would add my 2 cents to the discussion just so Rogers realizes that many more people are affected by this than just the ones so far posting on the board.

My HD is also spinng up every few minutes and it's starting to get very annoying.

I would encourage the Rogers staff to get this remedied soon!

Rob262
I've Been Around

The drive on my PVR spins up about every 1-2 minutes - drives me nuts. I wonder how much phantom power these things are consuming? Has anyone measured this? (e.g. http://www.belkin.com/conserve/insight/)

I unplug the PVR every night before going to bed (sometimes it wakes me up if I don't). I'm going to replace it with a plain digital box without PVR and switch to using Windows Media Center to record programs.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Quick and dirty fix is to either do what you do and unplug it each night (or have it on a plug with a light switch) or to leave it on all night.

LF1949
I Plan to Stick Around

Leaving the PVR on all night does not work. The unit will go into power saving mode around 1:00 am, shut down and the iHDD will start cycling again. The only way to keep it on is to have it record all night. If you have a SA 8300HD and it's a rental, you could exchange it for a Cisco 8642HD which has the same iHDD cycling issue but is much quieter. If you own the 8300HD, I've heard you can disconnect the power plug to the iHDD and after a couple of reboots, it will act like a regular HD STB. I have not tried this myself. FYI, the word from another forum is Rogers/Cisco have a fix for the iHDD cycling issue and hope to push it out soon. I made my monthly (I've been calling about this issue since Nov 2010) call to Rogers last week to check on their progress. This was the first time a level 1 CSR knew what I was talking about. He said they did not have a fix and added his PVR at home had the same problem. I'm hoping his info is not up to date and we see a fix in the next couple of weeks.

Lar123
I'm a Reliable Contributor

This sounds like a really  pathetic algorithym by somebody that doesn't watch a PVR.

Possibly the PVR is out of solid state memory and has to wake up the HDD every minute or every few  to check if a PVR recording even about to start and then goes back to sleep.

ROFLMAO !!!

Try turning off all recordings scheduled and see if it RIPs.

Warhorse
I've Been Around

For those of you renting the PVR, this is probably only an inconvenience that will involve exchanging your PVR with Rogers when it fails. But for me, I own my 8300HD PVR (part of the Sony Bravia Package I bought a year or so ago), I don't exactly relish the idea of sitting around listening to it's hard drive self destruct and then having to either pay to get it repaired or buy a new one!!! Having checked all the conversations on this topic at various other forums it seems almost certainly that it commenced when the change to the PVR MENU was introduced. Surely Rogers (Cisco) is aware of this problem but when are they going to fix it? More specifically, why haven't they issued some kind of message confirming this problem and provide a date when it will be fixed???

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

As far as I know Rogers will swap/replace even boxes you have purchased.

Jason2011
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Chris,

While the 8642 has a 2 year warranty, it's not clear to me whether if you've bought the unit whether you can bring it in to a Rogers store if there is a problem or whether you have to send it somewhere for a repair at your expense.   I've heard conflicting information.  Of course the fact that you could bring your brand new unit into a Rogers store and have it replaced by a refurb isn't overly appealing to me nonetheless, but I guess it's better than nothing.   Maybe someone at Rogers can confirm.   In any event, after the standard warranty expires on the unit, I'm positive  that you're out of luck if you run into trouble.  This hard disk issue is indeed reducing the life of the unit, and if the unit fails at 2 years and 5 days and it's the hard disk as fault, it would be nice to know that Rogers would extend the warranty because of the problem.  Even though the net is a buzz with this same discussion all over the place, Rogers stays hush about the topic.  I agree that Rogers should be providing more info (which they never do), and I also would be very pleased to take part in a lawsuit!

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

I know some people that have purchased their pvr's (8300HD) and have exchanged them out of warentee at a rogers store due to the HDD spinning issue specifically. Yes they got a refurb in exchange but atleat it's something... When my HDD died I just replaced it myself I didn't try to exchange so I can't say I have done it, but I know people who have.... All that said I don't think I'd buy a pvr again unless they were on sale for $100.

Jason2011
I Plan to Stick Around

As luck would have it, I had a problem with my remote this evening so I had an opportunity to test the theory.  I took the remote to the Rogers store, and they replaced it.  In theory, this should have been perfect, but it wasn't "quite" perfect. The new remote, even though sealed in a bag had dirt on the front of it, and had a scratched battery door.  I had been told in the past that when returns for remotes are processed, the remotes are recycled, and I had this vision of the plastic being recycled back into fresh, brand new remotes, but I think I can understand better now how this "recycling" is done -- just re-seal the returned remotes that don't look "that" bad and hand them out as warranty spares.  There are a a few minor issues that aren't "such" a big deal -- The original "new" remote that I got with the 8642 when I bought it a few months ago was obviously a slightly newer version -- it had an additional "D" button which the new remote doesn't have.  The original remote had letters around the numbers much like a telephone keypad, and the replacement remote doesn't have those either.  Neither of these "features" are used yet, but if they were on the other remote that came with my 8642, I'm sure Rogers has plans for the feaures.    I also noticed that the instructions for programming the remote were on the back on my original remote so that I didn't have to refer to the manual when I forget the "99X" code when I needed to reprogram (see I've already forgotten it)  but not on the new one... anyway, point is, yes, it's covered by the Rogers store... end result, my remote works now... which of course has nothing to do with PVRs constantly spinning up!